Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Absolutes

Anyone have a list of absolute “must haves” when going raw?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Avocados, flaxseeds, green leafy veggies, fruit, blender.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

A raw husband. Oh, and some kale!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I agree with 123.

Avocados, flaxseed, greens, fruit. Plus, some spices if you like to add “other” flavor… and lemons! I use them often.

Equipment? Food processor. It can somewhat blend like a blender, but it also does great chopping and shredding.

(added later) Oh yeah… and some nuts too!

• Support, a blender, dark leafy greens, cacao nibs, young thai coconuts, fresh berries, cheese cloth (for almond milk)......(:

• What do you do with the flaxseed?

I grind it and sprinkle it on salad, put it in smoothies, use it as a thickener… It’s a good source of fiber, which is key to keeping a clean colon.

I left out crackers!

• Okay….will include that on the list.

• nthmostnthmost Raw Newbie

Dark leafy greens, seasonal fruits, avocados, frozen berries to keep on hand (you can’t always get them fresh), honey, lemons and/or limes, fresh ginger, some really good salt.

I actually limit my flaxseed intake quite a bit, to the point where I exclude it from my diet completely from time to time. It has a “sticky” effect on my digestion and overall energy level. So I wouldn’t put it on the “must haves”. But that’s just me!

Ginger is warming and spicy and I love it. Great addition to both sweet and savory things, available year-round, and quite cheap. Sorts out a lot of digestive issues too.

Lots of people on here are anti-salt, so just take this list as my own personal bias. I find that when I go too low-sodium for too long, I get dehydrated!

Nuts and cacao are good to have on hand, but I wouldn’t consider them “musts”. Depends on your metabolism, interest, tastes, etc. I can easily go weeks without eating those things.

• What a great question, I’m getting lots of ideas from it myself!

Avocados and spinach are some of my favorites! Oh and DATES!

• How much of these foods do you feel your eating? I feel like I am eating too much, but I am hungry! I love just eating fruit all morning till dinner – but I have lost a lot of my muscle mass, and I am a bit crabby…Any helps with the must haves??

I eat a variety of fruits and greens daily in a smoothie. I usually eat 2tbs. ground flax a day. I sometimes eat pumpkin seeds instead. I have avocados at least twice a week. I fill in the gaps with other vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouts. I make desserts and creamy smoothies sometimes, but I usually eat simple mono-meals or salads.