Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cutting out Nuts and Seeds

I have noticed lately that some people are choosing not to include Nuts and Seeds in their diets. Why is this?

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

well for me it’s simply because I don’t care for nuts. I still eat seeds though.

Nuts are pretty rich and once you’ve been raw for a while and your body adjusts to it you start cutting out things you’re sensitive to. I’m sensitive to nuts so I don’t eat them. Seeds are important for me right now to keep my caloric intake high enough and also to get important minerals like zinc and vitamin B.

Don’t cut out nuts until you feel your body starts telling you to. I hope that helps:)

• some people are allergic or live with people who are, others don’t include them to avoid the high fat content. i personally try to avoid them when i can due to the high fat content. i also have severe acne that i’m trying to battle and the fatty oils in nuts really seem to contribute to worsening my skin condition. although i do use seeds in moderation, especially hemp seeds.

• Nuts and seeds are higher in protein and fat than most veges and fruits. Some people believe that higher carbohydrate, low protein and low fat, such as 80-10-10 and similar ratios, are the correct and natural way to eat.

I personally need the higher protein and fat that nuts and seeds provide, and I feel lousy when I don’t have protein and fats in higher ratios.

I believe that everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. Since we are all very different- physically, emotionally, psychologically, culturally, genetically, etc – why would a single diet be right for everyone???

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Seeds and Nuts are a mainstay in my dietary requirements… I manage without them for my morning smoothie but my noon smoothie has to be with at least 1/4 cup or I’m starving before my evening salad… After my salad I PIGOUT on nutpate` or “cheeze” with some of my crackers that also contain seeds or nuts… YOU would think I’m eating SAD frenchfries or potato chips, as I’m just as addicted!!!

I don’t even wonder why I’m not loosing weight!!! LOL

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I get severely constipated if I eat too many nuts or seeds. Seeds actually seem worse to me, and I ALWAYS eat them clean, fresh, and sprouted.

Nuts and seeds are also high in fat. Even though a raw diet is great, you really only reap many of the benefits my eating a low fat raw diet. The Living Nutrition Magazine points this out. I am, however, incorportating very small amounts in my diet, provided they are truly raw, and soaked/sprouted.

• I eat them, but in moderation. After they clogged up my digestive system once, I learned not to eat too many in one day.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I buy nuts when I absolutely have to. The price and question of, are they raw or not, gives me concern.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I am new to raw and I find myself relying on nuts and seeds entirely too much. Soaking them is wonderful! I had never heard of it before coming to this forum. It changes them and makes them so delicious. I want to do more experimentation with soaking and sprouting nuts.

I am using nuts and seeds right now to transition away from cheese (5 days dairy free!) but I can already tell that I am eating too many. Today I am going nutless and seedless, tomorrow I will see how I feel.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I started cutting them out when I researched them and found that they weren’t always raw. First macadamias went, then brazils, then almonds, and finally walnuts and pine nuts. And I feel better for it, the food tastes just fine as I use sunflower sprouts and seeds, coconut oil, hemp oil to substitute. And I have more money to spend on fresh greens, avocados and tomatoes without the expense of all those nuts. It’s been a good move all round for me. But I would have struggled to transition with out nuts I think they are helpful for heaviness in recipes when you’re starting out.

• That’s awesome, Ungrateful! Keep up the good work. :D

Make sure you eat some nutrient-rich foods, such as greens, sprouts, avocados, etc., to keep yourself satiated. I personally would not cut out nuts and seeds altogether; I think they have much nutrition.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I find sometimes that too many nuts can weigh me down. Not to say I don’t have them ever, but I have times where I can’t tolerate them as well. On the other hand, seeds I do well with. In fact, I was craving flax the other day and loaded up and I feel great down. It helped clean up some digestive upset I was having.

I think it’s reasonable to use nuts and seeds to substitute at first, but keep in mind nutrition. You want to eat at optimum nutrition, so seeds like chia are great because they are so good for you. Another trick I use is to not eat nuts alone in handfuls. Just use them in recipes and in moderation as a condiment.

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

The last few times I’ve tried eating walnuts or pecans I’ve felt kinda queasy. I don’t know what the difference is, but seeds (pumpkin, sunflower) don’t seem to have that effect. I’ve only been raw about a month though, so maybe I’m still discovering sensitivities.

• I wouldn’t use nuts and seeds to “substitute” for anything – I”m not sure what that means (?). I would just eat them if you’re hungry and they sound good.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I think you have to listen to your body. many people thrive on a fruitarian diet with very minimal fat. I, however, do not and have transitioned to Gabriel Cousens’ Stage 1 foods after being 2.5 years raw. I can’t have all the sweet fruit. That puts weight on me. However, i can eat nuts and seeds with lots of greens and not gain an ounce. I think many still have fat fear without respecting they may be a more protein type. The same would hole for vatas, who also need heavier raw foods in order to stay raw. If the nuts/seeds are making you feel sick, try eating them only with lots of greens. You could also experiment with reducing the amount of really sweet fruit in your diet and see if they digest better. I blamed the nuts for making me feel sluggish, when in reality it was that I was eating really sweet fruit until 2-3pm, and not many greens. it takes a little experimenting. there’s also a little test you can take to find out your Ayurvedic body type. Knowing that will help you with your individual foods choices that are unique to you. http://www.ayurbalance.com/explore_pittalifesty… This is for pitta dosha, but you should be able to find the test on this site. I’ll try to post it for you.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

lzhpt: THUMBS UP! :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

what i meant by substitute is to make nut milks, nut cheese, pate, etc.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Wow, durianrider, talk about calling me out! Good thing i can laugh at myself. I’m not 100% raw, nor do i want to be as my social network and family are all cooked, but i Am passionate about my raw food. I do not live in an equatorial region. When i eat cooked, here’s what I gravitate to: plain brown rice w/ sea salt (steamed), Steal cut oats (steamed), herbal tea, popped corn (sea salt and coconut oil), vegetarian sushi with friends. It used to be blue corn chips, but they taste rancid to me. Dry stuff!!!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Thanks for your insight, Izhpt. I’ve never tried to find out my body type – i’ll look into it!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

durianrider-no excuses because I never want to be fruitarian for a myriad of reasons. Nature has us eating lots of bugs too and i’m just not willing to go there. No. I don’t eat what my family eats and i don’t allow Ayurveda doshas to decide what i eat in the day, but i do listen to me. I am not you. I exercise vigorously and calmly 8 hours/week, not 8 hours a day. I love what i do for work and simply cannot scarf down 12 bananas while treating patients because i happen to be hungry then (no excuses, just pointing out the shocking differences in our lifestyles). I love reading loads of different material and it is only through integrating all of that information that I can experiment and reach my own “higher integrity”, not the one you might chose for me and not Dr. Grahams. I know I won’t win this debate with you, but it’s been fun. :)