Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconut Oil

2»

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Most brands of coconut oil in stores might advertise as being unrefined, and even raw, but the majority of them have been heated above 118 degrees. Check your sources to make sure! :)

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

ok, so how stupid is this. I have been reading these boards and just soaking up all the knowledge I can and believe me I am saturated. So anyway I have read hundreds of recipes that use coconut oil and I also read the dry brushing post. I didn’t realize and maybe still don’t that the oil I use for eating is the same one to use on your skin. I bought one in grocery (specifically raw) and one out of the health and beauty dept. that actually specified for hair and skin. Are they the same? They both say unrefined.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I eat coconut oil from the spoon, or a little treat I made up:

1/4 cup of sunflower seeds blended to flour 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds whole 1 heaping TBSP coconut oil 1 heaping TSP raw honey

or substitute 1/2 ounce raw cacao nibs for 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.

For those that don;t eat honey, any sweetener, or even none, would probably do well here.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

RubyLaine: I know with cocoa butter, there’s food grade, and then there’s cosmetic grade. So I’m guessing the same rule applies with coconut oil. If you bought some from the health and beauty dept., it might not be very suitable for human consumption. :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Ruby-what brand did you get? There are some that package the same thing(food grade) into a jar for the food section and a tub for the skin care section and they are actually the same thing but it’s simply easier to use it out of the tub.

Stephanie-I use coconut oil as a moisturizer. Basically I use ACV on a cotton ball to clean my face and then I put coconut oil on it and rinse with hot water and then dry my face with a towel taking off all the excess oil and leaving my face soft, clean and moisturized. I do it day and night. Never have had a softer skin! I also use it on my body

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

The one I bought for eating is Artisana and the one for skin is Spectrum organic coconut oil. On the label for spectrum it reads: 100% mechanically (expeller) pressed unrefined organic coconut oil. hmmm….

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

yeah spectrum sells that exact same oil for food. I wonder if the price is different. Anyway, that’ll work great for you skin.

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas and info! Wow! I was also looking for more ways to use coconut oil.

I use 1 tbsp coconut oil in my morning smoothie recipes (if you click on my screen name you will go to my profile that has my recipes on it). It changes the texture to more of a pudding consistency which works well for using the smoothie for a dessert. The cold ingredients of the smoothie make the coconut oil set up making for a thicker and creamier product… not to mention the health benefits of the oil.

I also substitute coconut oil in some of my blender soup recipes… I especially like it in corn chowder ones for the creamier texture. If the soup recipe is well seasoned you won’t notice the coconut taste.

Keep the Ideas Coming!

QT