Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

All Hail The Chia Seed

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

A new ingredient for me in my morning smoothie. You might like reading this: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I luvvvvvv chia!

• I love chia too! This morning I was mixing some chia seeds with water and let it sit. I cut up some strawberries and some raspberries… and went to put it in my “porridge” but realized I had put too much water in it. Turns out it was so yummy, just like the cereal I miss eating. :)

• Love the chia! I forget about it for a while and then go crazy with it. Thanks for the link!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I eat chia daily. We make a bread with it. I am trying to post the recipe on this site but it is blocking me from posting. Hmph.

• Sadly I have an odd reaction to chia seed. My skin gets a little bit itchy and tight shortly after ingestion. Also my forearms become dryish and somewhat checkerboard patterned (if that makes sense)! I have a similar reaction to sesame too (allergy confirmed with testing also). I searched online and found a connection between sesame and chia allergies.

So if you’re allergic to sesame I’d be careful when trying chia seed. Always test a small amount first. Patch testing can help with this. Grind the substance and mix with water to form a paste and rub the mixture into the pulse of your wrist. Any noticeable redness/itchiness/etc is a good sign of allergy. Not very reliable for mild allergy or intolerance, but it is a good place to start.

• Hail hail!

I LOVE CHIA! My entire family will eat it with gusto. We add it to smoothies and make puddings, with whole or ground.

Our 2 favorite puddings are strawberry lemonaid and the indian rice pudding from this site. But I also dig Chia and coconut milk and any fruit, making ?? and cream pudding. We’ve done strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and peaches (separately!). Top it off with some whole fruit and you’ve got a meal for royalty. Travels very well, too.

Our big hit at regular parties is orange juice and strawberry chia pudding. My kids and her friends will eat Chia.

After all of those Omega 3s, we credit Chia with making us more comfy in our own bodies. Exercise recovery? No problem and little or no soreness now.

Gotta love that protein and calcium!!!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Chia seed pudding is a nice treat! Another good raw food for my lovely husband who’s so darn picky with raw food :-)

Here what I do for 2 people:

in the vitamix- 1/2 cup of cashews (or seasame seeds), 2 cups of water, some agave, cinnamon, vanilla.

Then I pour the cashew milk into 2 bowels and add almost 2 TB of chia seed to each bowel. I then place in the freezer for 15-20 mins (or fridge for longer periods of time) to firm up.

It’s like a yummy tapioca pudding. And it’s a nice treat for breakfast as well

PS – Elizabethh has a similar recipe posted here using bananas and strawberries in lieu of cashews/nuts/seeds. I keep meaning to try that

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Here’s the indian rice pudding which is close to what we make

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/3147-Indian-Rice…

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I just bought more chia, for some reason couldn’t find it around me for awhile, so it’s funny I am just reading this post. I think I need to find something to make so I have a pudding ready to go for breakfast in the am. Any good ideas using peaches? I have 2 large white ones to use.

WOW, so loving the indian pudding recipe!! I used to love the stuff because it reminds me of Thanksgiving as a kid with my grandparents. This version is so much better, and one I can eat :)

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Ok I dont want to sound gross but I have noticed that chia comes out looking exactly like it went in. Since I have started detox a while back I now pay more attention to what goes in the top and then back out the bottom hehee

Is there a reason I do not seem to be digesting it? I kept waiting for the energy I thought I would get from eating it but never happened now I know why I just dont know WHY?????

I really love eating it, but it seems wasteful right now. Any suggestions????? thanks

• I have decided to stock up on Chia for emergency preparedness. I noticed that they keep me full and nurished when I am at work and don’t have anything to eat. It’s something that won’t go bad easily. Just a thought.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

My health food store expert tells me that if you are using the whole white chia seed s.k.a. Salba, you should soak it for at least 20 minutes, but as long as overnight in the refrigerator. That softens it so that you can chew the grains. If they’re going through you whole, you won’t derive all the nutrients from them. I’ve pulsed a couple of tablespoons in my coffee grinder to make a coarse powder before adding them to smoothies. Saves trying to chew every last little seed.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Chia rocks! Here is a fun chia seed recipe, Chocolate Chia Crackers (and a couple of spreads to go along with them!). http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2008/09/chocola…

Cheers, Kristen