Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothies

Never tried a green smoothie, what you put in them usually?

Jah Bless, Ras Saadon.

Comments

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

My usual green smoothie is 2-3 cups of spinach, 1-1.5 bananas, hemp seed protein, then add about a cup of water, sometimes I use rice milk.

I have seen tons of others that sound good, I am drinking a non-raw grocery store bought one right now that contains: apples, banana, kiwi, manga, spirulina, chorella, broccoli, spinach, blue green algea, garlic, wheat grass, ginger and parsley. All juced though.

I saw a good “basil” smoothie on this site I am going to try. I think it had basil, banana, apples and maybe some other greens.

Another one I can remember reading was spinach, celery stalks, apples, pears and banana.

You could do lots of things. I know a couple who puts nothing but veggies in their green smoothies, I didn’t care much for them. I add fruit to mine to make it taste better. :)

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

You use baby spinach or “normal” spinach? read somewhere that it taste bitter..

I do lots of fruit smoothies, apples, bananas, dates, mango, coconut shreds(not sure if its raw though, need to check it out) and basicly any organic fruit that comes in hand, also using hemp seed powder and planing to start using spirulina powder, just that I never tried the green once so was wondering what goes well in them

• I use baby spinach in my green smoothies. I cannot taste it at all. and my kids gobble them up too (that’s saying something :)

oh btw,...i have a green smoothie recipe on my profile :)

• a couple big leaves of kale torn from the stem (the stem is bitter) one apple and one frozen banana. add some water to get it going. simple awesomeness right there.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I have used both. Prefer the big leaves though, but there is not a huge difference. With the banana smoothie I make the banana overpowers the greens anyway.

• I just made a pretty good veggie smoothie this morning with cherry tomatoes, a couple baby carrots, a stalk of celery, a handful of baby spinach, 2 big green cabbage leaves, a few slices of green bell pepper, and some Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, oregano, ginger and cayenne pepper. Added some water to help it all blend. It was thick but very good and filling. I think you can use whatever sounds good to you. I obviously wanted to used up some veggies in my fridge:)

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

As far as green goes, I use baby spinach, romaine, or baby greens, usually with basil or mint for better flavor. I prefer baby spinach, I think it has a better texture than lettuce or baby greens.

I tried my first green smoothie today and well.. it was awful(and im being VERY nice), I had spinach, lettuce, sunflower sprouts, and a bit of Organic sugar(run out of agave at the store), was my combo wrong? because I really cant imagine how could anyne enjoy that one, it was really really bad.. maybe I put to much of something? was I supposed to put just a leaf or two of everything?

Jah Bless, Ras Saadon.

• ras-saadon – If you’re just using greens, it’s not going to taste good… at all. Try adding a banana, or some other thick sweet fruit (maybe mango?) for some flavor. Fruit overpowers the taste of the greens but you still get all of the nutritional benefits.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

caleb – i assume the rice milk isn’t raw that you’re adding. not that i care, but if you’re using raw rice milk do let us know how you got it! :)

Yea that makes sense Kathy I will do that, going to an Organic farm that is pretty close to me tomorrow to pick up some nice&fresh greens, I’ll try that out then!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I use spinach (or arugula or kale), parsley, cucumber, an apple or two, juice of a lemon, juice of an orange, ginger and mint. It’s very refreshing. For a thicker smoothie, I’d add avocado or some hemp, maca, ground flax or ground chia. The combinations are endless, but you need to balance the bitter flavour with sweet. A pinch of Himalayan sea salt brings out flavours. I also think it’s a good idea to round out with something to make it smooth and thick, like avocado or banana. You might try the meat of a young coconut with the water (or drink the water separately). Don’t try to be a purist and only blend greens and sprouts. You will wind up with gritty sludge that probably will taste that way too. Think of a salad. Most leafy salads are dressed with a vinaigrette. The constituents of a vinaigrette are oil (for mouth appeal and richness), acid for tart brightness, salt to perk up the flavours and perhaps something pungent like garlic, onion or herbs, for personality. Treat your smoothies the same way and each one will be a fruit and/or vegetable salad in a glass. Cheers!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I don’t worry about texture or bitterness with my green smoothies… I go for color, the darker the green, the red and the orange the more antioxidants available to me… I use the stems, seeds and all parts except the pith of citrus… Sweeten with dates and enjoy daily…

I save the baby spinach for my salads… I totally agree with 1sweetpea

• Here is my universal green smoothie recipe:

fruit and/or berries (frozen and dried and soaked can also be used); any edible greens or weeds or mix of those fresh or dried and powdered; water or fresh squezed orange juice to get the right consistency; You can add pitted dates, figs or honey for sweeter taste and lemon juice if some bitter taste of leaves come through; you can add some bananas or pumpkin fof creamyer texture and softer taste; you can add cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, vanilla or slice of ginger to taste.

Blend all ingredients. Try the taste. If it tastes too “leafy” add more fruit. If you want you can sweeten it with more dates, figs, honey or bananas. If you have a cold or you just like more spicy taste add slice of fresh ginger to your smoothie.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I make my green smoothies with fruit and wild blue green algae.

• I made my first true green smoothie (green color). I put almond milk with 2 stems of kale and mixed until I had green milk. Then I added a green apple, banana, some mixed berries, and some frozed pineapple. It came out great and even my 3 year old son had some. I told him the apple made it green. The pineapple really counteracts the kale.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

My Fav:

Kale, spinach, banana, those are the staples and maybe then whatever berries I may have, mango, apples and kiwi. I also add hemp seed, maca, and chia seeds.

• i always like to have at least 2 banana, lots of greens, and a lemon. from there, i’ll add oranges, frozen fruit blend, papaya, pineapple, maca, hemp protein, spirulina. but seriously, make it taste good. there’s no point in doing something “healthy” if you’re going to dread it. so start out adding several bananas and other really sweet fruit.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

if you do not have a high speed blender, then use spinach instead of greens that are hard to blend up like kale. also pre-squeeze any citrus.

i do have a high speed blender, and i like kale, banana, cacao, 1 teaspoon coconut butter, berries, and hemp. the cacao makes it taste like chocolate.