OK, It suddenly came; I think I'm ready to give up fish but I have a few questions and concerns

Hi All,

I have been reading and reading on here, and thanks to the great abundance of encouragement and information, I have somewhat quickly transitioned to a 90% raw diet (I still drink coffee, tea and hot water).

Popcorn was my first challenge to give up, but it is done and then without realizing it, I ended not eating anything else that is not raw except an occasional unexpected tortilla chip in a social setting etc . .

I am not giving up coffee because for some reason it helps my weight stay low, as well as helping my singing voice (crazy I know :))

This is all leading up to my final hardest food to give up; FISH!

I do not eat fish often but I was given doctors orders to eat animal protein to keep my weight in check and keep my system running, etc . . I had been diagnosed with a crazy abundance of allergies last October – six months after the first time I decided to go vegan. (Humorously enough, I made the choice to be vegan on the spot after reading the first two chapters of ‘Skinny Bitch.’ As soon as I read the chapter about factory farming, I closed the book and have not touched meat or poultry since.)

I went to a medical doctor, got tested and I was diagnosed as being allergic to half the world including apples, bananas, almonds, all citrus including oranges and grapefruit . . . the list goes on for miles.

Since becoming raw I have noticed that I am eating a lot of these foods without nearly as much problem as before.

OK, now finally my question . . My main concern is that I cannot afford to gain any weight, due to my industry of choice, as well as a very unhealthy tendency to stop eating when I gain weight. I am worried that giving up fish will lead to weight gain.

I am also worried that I will suddenly become very hard on myself if once in awhile I have a piece of fish in a social situation or with my parents (they have a hard time watching me not eat animal products as they worry about my weight getting too low), and then I end up feeling terrible about who I am as a person.

I know this is a lot to write, but I want to be completely honest and say everything so that I can hopefully hear feedback from anyone who has been in a similar position or has any light to shed on this matter.

Thank-you for taking the time read this.

Comments

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Carol Alt is a model that wrote some raw food books. She has no problem staying thin and eats all that she wants. of course tho she does eat raw meat. her books are what lead me to raw but raw meat turns me off so i try to stay vegan.

I also have a problem with people making me feel bad. I come to this site and talking with everone and reading what they do and how they handle things inspires me to keep trying. You really should never be hard on yourself for what you are doing whether it is eating raw or eating something sad. the stress you put on yourself will increase you weight probably faster than what you are eating.

Be kind to yourself. and the best of luck to you!!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi There, Do you eat much seaweed? The really gorgeous seaweeds, like my favourite sea spaghetti, can satisfy a fish craving pretty well. I eat it with creamy pesto sauce, it is so dense and nutritious. Raw nori, dulse, kelp are all great too. If you replace the fish in your diet with seaweed it could help you to leave the fish behind.

Also coconut butter/oil is a good fat to eat. It will fill you up but it won’t make you put weight on. It is reputed to actually help stabilise weight and help lose weight. If you google it you’ll find lads of articles about it.

You said that “I am also worried that I will suddenly become very hard on myself if once in awhile I have a piece of fish in a social situation or with my parents (they have a hard time watching me not eat animal products as they worry about my weight getting too low), and then I end up feeling terrible about who I am as a person.”

If you can just try to talk yourself round if this happens. Tell yourself that you are doing the best you can, think kind and supportive thoughts instead of beating yourself up. It is no big deal to slip up or “cheat”. I don’t think you would find anyone who would judge you for it, so why judge yourself?

• Thank-you Blue_Eyes and Zoe for your helpful feedback.

Blue_Eyes, thank-you for your kind and encouraging words. You are so right about the stress increasing my weight faster than the food; I needed to hear this again!

Zoe, yes I just purchased raw nori and dulse which both arrived yesterday and I was able to avoid eating fish at a seafood restaurant I was at yesterday (had salad instead).

Zoe, I am also eating coconut oil/butter but I notice that I find these products very addictive which leads to my eating too much, which in turn leads to weight gain, so I will avoid these.

Finally, your words are incredibly valuable right now, yes you are right. If I do slip up I have to remember my intention is there and try not to raise too tough a hand on myself. I think that if I keep thinking your words of ‘doing the best I can’, I will be able to allow myself to give up fish and not worry so much about the repercussion of my own voice, should I once in awhile fail my intention.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Seaweed, nori and kelp are great foods for helping to come off fish. Also, seasoned flax crackers.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

drinking lots of juice, green juice like cucumber and celery will help to fill you up and satisfy you too.

• Sweetpea, I will definitely try the seaweed, nori and kelp and thank-you for this great idea :)

And Zoe, yummm, what a super low-calorie suggestion; thank-you!

durianrider, I appreciate your input and fantastic analogy. i do know you are right, . . I have to admit I am thinner eating fish, I have no idea why but I just am. I am still fish-free this week and I will just have to try to lay off of the nuts as well. I do struggle with raw vegan lifestyle because I am a huge comfort food eater, I have been brought up on these foods and have had an incredibly tough time getting off of them.

I have been craving fish for some reason this past day and am trying to stay strong and true with my beliefs in mind.

Thanks again!!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I think the answer to why you’re thinner when eating fish can be found in your statement that you need “to try to lay off the nuts”. You’re used to eating a lot of protein in one sitting when you eat fish. You are probably still craving that much protein, even if your body does not need it. Without the fish, you are replacing that full feeling from a high protein meal, with nuts, which are much higher in fat than the fish. I’m not telling you to avoid nuts (or seeds), but maybe you should measure out a small portion for each day and eat only that much, in addition to all the fruits and vegetables that you need to feel satisfied and energetic.

I too, eat fish occasionally. I do it no more than once per week, but generally less often. It’s the thing I order when out at a restaurant with family or friends and the veggie options suck. I live in a city where pasta seems to come standard with a boatload of cream sauce on it and creamy salad dressings are the norm. Caesar, spinach, chef’s and cobb salads are laden with bacon, eggs, cheese, etc. The only other option is usually a green salad with a vinaigrette, which is fine, but it’s just a side plate of leaves. The notion of veganism is virtually unheard-of in most restaurants here. The logical choice for me is the next healthiest option, which is fish. Sure, I’d rather not eat it, but I rationalize that from a health standpoint, wild, line-caught fish is better than factory raised robo-chickens. If I have to eat meat, I prefer that the animal (or fish) spent its life roaming free and living off the land, as many of the forum posters here wish to do!

• 1sweetpea, Wow, you just nailed it; Thank-you, I do not think I would’ve figured this out on my own. I have eaten way less nuts this week and I’m sure this does not sound too healthy but I have lost 7 lbs. I am going to stop purchasing nuts in bulk once this batch is done, and I will save the purchasing of nuts for special treat days. I have been discovering that my body does not really respond well to nuts either, so I will slowly ween myself off of them. This is honestly tough for me figuring out what to eat and how to honour my body, but I am trying and every day I will keep taking it on as another journey to my body’s health.

And yes, I have been measuring out a small portions each day and . . well the craziest thing is happening – I am getting tired of nuts :)