Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Figs!

jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I’ve just discovered them. Never ate a raw fig before in my life, but the other day at the store they just called out to me so I bought them. Oh. My. God. I think figs just might be the most heavenly, perfect, wonderful, sensual, explode-in-your-mouth, amazing, beautiful food ever-ever-ever. I LOVE FIGS! And I never knew, heh… Ofek, I think I’ll be giving you some competition in the Big Fig Pig department! Haha… ;o)

Comments

• Hi Jenergy- did you eat a dried fig or a fresh fig? I haven’t gotten into eating them but from what you say I’ll have to look into it.

• What do they taste like? I’ve only ever had figs in Fig Newtons and hated ‘em, (but I’m sure real figs don’t taste anything like Fig Newtons!)

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I’m talking about fresh ones. These were called California Black Mission Figs. I remember fig newtons as the nasty cookies my grandma always had, haha… never could stand those things. So let’s see, what do they taste like? Hmmm, well, they’re sweet in a kind of dusky, earthy way. The softer ones are more sweet as they’re riper, but even the not-so-soft ones have an intriguing kind of musty sweetness. The texture is creamy and crunchy at the same time, sort of like kiwis, because of all the little teensy seeds inside. When you break one open it looks like the inside of a flower, with all these little thread-like thingies with a seed at the end of each one. What would those be, stamens?

Well, that’s my best official scientific-type description, anwyay. Heh… thingies. All’s I know is they’re soooooo delicious. I just ate about ten of them for breakfast. Oh my, that’s a lot of fiber! ;o)

Jen

• I recently discovered figs too! I am in love with them. You should also try dried Turkish Calamyrna Figs (sp?), they’re a brownish tannish grey color, and very good. I have yet to try a fresh fig. I’ve seen them just a handful of times at Whole Foods, and they only had conventional ones. :/

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I had my first fresh fig a few weeks ago too and it was HEAVEN! The really good ones ( different from the Cali Mission variety but I forget their name) don’t come into season until the fall. I can barely wait! I love the dried turkish figs too but I have to be careful with them because its hard to stop with just one or two and before I know it I’ve become a dried fig farting machine! Oops too much 411? ;-)

• Funny, as I’m going through this site, I’m munching on Figs. I just bought my first fresh figs this week. Have been eating dried figs for a while now. Love them!!!!!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

jenergy! imagine fig mint smoothie…made one last week! i have a client with a fig tree…she didnt even know what they where, so i filled bags of them and brought them home my dehydrator is working over time;)...i also pointed out a guava tree in her yard and passion flower vine, cant wait for these!!!! i love living in san diego! fruit growing wild in peoples yards…of course in maryland i had berries and cherries agrowing wild all over the place.

• figs , yummy , yummy ,yummy :)

• the most delicious figs in my opinion are the ones left on the tree to get sweet and dry in the sun, once you eat one of those, you’ll never go back to dehydrated store bought figs…

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

O.k., you guys have convinced me…I am going to go find a fig as soon as I can! I had stayed away because of the whole fig newton thing, but now I am curious and can’t wait to try one!

• Am I the only one who loved fig newtons? ( I guess so )

My new office partner at work has a fig tree and is going to bring some in as soon as they are ripe. I’ve never had a fresh fig and I’m very excited. I never knew that a fig tree could grow in Virginia.

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

I have a fig tree in my back yard…had never had a fresh one until Thursday but eat the dried ones all the time. Two figs were ripe on Thursday…OMG….unbelievable! Something special is going on in there. Too bad my tree is tiny so there won’t be as many as I would like.

• spirit, I’m with you on loving fig newtons. So you’re not alone there.

The dried figs taste much more like the filling of fig newtons then the fresh ones.

Does anyone know, aren’t a lot of the delicious calimnyrna dried ones boiled and then steam dried or something?

omshanti and kauaigirl— Do you have to pick them off the tree or do they fall to the ground when ripe or how does that work? are they brown when fully ripe?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

What is a Fig Newton?

• Zoe, it’s a moist cookie. It has a crumbly cake like coating covering a moist dried fig filling. Even though I’ve always loved them they are famous as a senior citizen treat ( maybe for the fiber ).

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

avo, i picked some off the ground and some off the tree. I chose them by squishability factor, the ground ones had been found by some ants and squirells;) the ones i got off the tree where a little less ripe but still so yummy

• Summer is such a treat, isn’t it? Figs, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, plums, etc. Next week I’m going to try to find a pick your own cherry farm (if there are any cherries left). I’ll have days of food after that.

• Since I was little, I have always LOVED Fig Newtons!! I tried the recipe for the fig squares on this site, and they were even better than the store bought ones!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Ha! I was away from my computer for the weekend (lovely getaway to the coast that my hubby surprised me with, isn’t he sweet?) and now I come back here on Monday and discover everybody trying and loving figs at the same time. Must be one of those synchronicity things or something, heh. ;o) I love it!! Omshanti, I’m going to have to try the fig mint smoothie. I have some mint growing in my front yard. What else did you put in it?j I’ve been wanting to try the fig squares recipe that’s here, too. Thanks for the reminder, raw_mama! :o)

• I absolutely adore figs. We had a fig tree at home in South Africa that produced two crops a year of the sweetest green figs you have ever had. I enjoy them when I am in Italy too – there really is no better breakfast that figs picked from the tree outside the backdoor…

In Ireland I do not eat them fresh – I just refuse to pay over 1 euro for one fig.

• Amazing is the best word to describe a fig. I used to work at a produce store and ever since I tried one I have been hooked. Yummy!! Has anyone had any success growing a fig tree in north east US?

• I bought a container of figs at Whole Foods the other day, got them home and was sooo excited to try them… and when I opened the box they were all moldy. So I jump in the car, race back to WF to exchange them and ALL the boxes of figs were moldy. Do they mold easily or did WF just get a bad batch? I’m so disappointed!!

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

The coolest thing about growing figs on a tree is that one day they are just barely turning brown/black and then the next day one or two will explode to almost twice their size and are very dark. This is when the birds peck into them so I have to watch them everyday to be sure I get them before the birds. Guess they would be even sweeter if I let them drop to the ground but I can’t risk it!

• I was just eye-balling them at Whole Foods a few minutes ago, I will buy some at the Silver Spring Farmer’s market this weekend!!!

• Hi Flinzz78, hearing you write about Silver Spring makes me home sick, I am originally from the DC area. I took things for granted and now I realize what a fantastic area it is. I do appreciate where I am now and what I have here. Speaking of that and Figs, I live in southern Italy. My BF’s parents have 4 fig trees in their garden and they bear fruit in different months of the summer/autumn. We are so blessed. His dad brings us a basket of figs every saturday and we eat them for breakfast. When they travel and we house sit, we pick them from the tree, still warm from the sun and eat them in on the balcony…the best breakfast ever. Blessings to you all, love dea.

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I have three fig trees (Celeste, Lsu and Turkey) in my back yard and every summer (June) around the The 4th of July I have them coming out of my ears... I usually let my granddaughters sell them in front of my house so they can have some pocket change... I give away Uddles of them as well... (I usually get another smaller crop around Late August/Early Sept...) I've tried all kind of ways to make them last the whole year.. I've found that freezing them seems to work best next year I am going to try and dehydrate them and see how that works...

But for the moment I want Lots and Lots of recipes for figs... anybody got any Ideas?? Fig trees are really easy to grow and worth a try... I'm looking for other trees to grow as well... I looked into Cocoa but they only grow South of the equator... Any Ideas?? I'm In New Orleans...

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Fresh Turkish figs are sublime!!! The white flesh and bright pink seeds! yummmmy! Full of fibre too - don't eat too many at once!!