Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

happy thoughts :)

chicorychicory Raw Newbie

so what makes you fly?! what is your fondest memory, greatest wish, most joyous moment:)

Comments

• My most joyous moments are luckily still often each weeek. My freest, most happy and in- the- moment times are when I am out spending time with my horses on our 30 acres with open pasture, tree-filled woods, 2 creeks and a pond. There are so many fascinating and beautiful critters to encounter and enjoy; from insects, spiders (so MANY colorful, different shaped and sized ones with such intricate web designs), toads, tree frogs, water frogs, the occasoional small snakes who gently float or hurringly scuttle away from me, to the squirrels, rabbits, field mice, and the rare bonus glimpse of a coyote or even rarer bobcat. And then, of course, there is always the constant beauty amd enjoyment of our colorful herd of four friendly, clownish, frisky, sweet, and always entertaining, sometimes ornery horses. Whether it is work to be done on fences, pasture, cleaning up downed trees, mowing, or playing- hopping on bareback for a fun and exhilirating ride across the creek into the woods to see nature as it was meant to be, or just sitting off in the shade of a big walnut or oak tree watching the horses rotate between grazing contentedly, then when their bellies are full finding mischief to create with each other, curiosities to check out, or nuzzling and groming each others’ withers to bond – it is always a time of renewed wonder and peaceful happiness to me. A reminder of of just how amazing and awesome our world truly is- just a small piece of the vast amount of beauty in this majestic world that I feel so blessed just to be able to experience.

The only thing that makes it even more wonderful is when I get to share the beauty of the horses and the land and her inhabitants with friends and family and see the wonder and appreciation of the beauty amd genius of nature light up their faces as they visit, just as I know it lights up mine each day I get to spend out there.

:)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I think I’m unusually lucky because my joyous moments are often, my fondest memories are numerous and my greatest wishes are being fulfilled daily.

I’m happiest when I’m taking walks with my husband on autumn evenings, gardening, cooking, spending time with my family and reading.

The moment I leave work for home is my happiest of all because I know that no matter what is going on in the evening it is the best day of my life even if it’s just chilling at home with my hubby. I’m completely satisfied and content and yet constantly taken off guard by the beauty of our world.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

- The last girlfriend I recently had made my fly, but also sent me crashing, but even in that there is some joy in overcoming things

- Rock Climbing, I love being outdoors and experiencing creation, there is nothing like connecting with the Creators work. I hate being stuck indoors, so every time I am outside I love it. I also really enjoy hiking as well, so I usually get both when I go climb.

- Kind of like you Aspire, I love teaching people that are new to climbing “the ropes”. It’s fun for me to teach somebody something new and see them get passionate about it.

chicory – your going too right?

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

hehe! feeling really bitter today, just call me crabby appleton! okay… here’s a few :) This is my happiest memory. My grandmother had this amazing hollowed out tree in the woods behind her house. It sat on top of a small mound, with great gnarled roots, and branches that swept close to the ground. it could easily fit 4 or 5 small children inside, and with room enough to stand! My sisters and I would spend days on end in the summer and autumn playing peter pan, running through the woods filthy, camping out in the tree which we protected from wind and weather, with a stolen blanket from my mom’s room. poor mom! we were always taking blankets to make teepees and other things. I’m glad she laughs about it now…. she used to get so mad when we came home with mud stained comforters ;) I think I have a picture of the tree somewhere. My grandpa built these little steps leading up to the opening. It was so magical!

little things that bring joy… like everyone here, they come often!

the beach in January, without a soul to be seen….

when the winds gives you a little shove from behind…

finding toad eggs in a vernal pool…

lightning ripping through the sky..

Bach on solo guitar

warm kitties on my lap

when a passerby returns a hello!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Eating handfuls of juicy raspberries fresh off the bushes in my garden :)

Spending time with my amazing six-year-old son :)

Having a pet (rabbit) that loves fresh greens as much as I do :)

Giving people raw pie :)

• Nice thread. Important to think about these things when times seem so dreary.

My nicest memory is my wedding day. I’ve had many wonderful days since, but that was truly special. Daily things that make me happy:

My husband

Our cats

Going to the country or the beach

Eating a perfect apple

Blasting my music when no one else is around

Having a cup of green matcha tea on a cool autumn day

Walking around the city and seeing something I’ve never noticed before

And just so many other things. I’m really grateful for all I have.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I’m going to Oregon to see my boyfriend and son. I will be there Saturday morning after a 10 hour train ride up the coast (AMTRAK = WOOT!! :))

I haven’t seen them since August, so I am pretty psyched about it…

On a regular basis:

(not that there aren’t millions more. I am a rather happy person who is easily amazed)

Running in the morning, in the city, when everyone else is asleep

Opening the door to my room and seeing how everything is just the way I like it and no one has moved anything

Ground scoring something I want or need. For example, I forgot my apple for lunch the other day and FOUND a huge, green apple on the way to work. SCORE!!

Speaking of ground scoring apples, that’s how I got my iPod!

haha. Great thread, Chicory!

nice happy thoughts everyone! now we just need some pixie dust. I love ground scoring…. I find tons that way too! I always bring a little pouch whenever I go on a walk, because there is always something of interest or that could be put to good use.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I ground-scored a knife once, that I wore out opening young coconuts. Good memories. :)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I’ve never heard the term “ground score” before… The best ground score (I hope I’m using that right) I’ve ever had is… I was convinced by a male person to bring a minimal amount of TP on a 9 day back country backpacking trip… it was like 5 layers left on a roll… (an aside… WOMEN!—NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! listen to a guy when it comes to how much TP to bring on a backpacking trip! They just don’t get it!) Well… two days into the trip, over a high elevation pass, I’m look’n at a crisis-in-waiting… very, very low on TP. Mind you, I’m with all guys so “borrowing” TP just isn’t in the cards. One of my fellow packers was exploring a lake we were camping at for the night. He returns to camp with this huge “sh1teating” grin on his face. From behind his back he brings out this pristine, baggie wrapped, full roll of “mountain money”! He found it on the lake shore when he was exploring! My hero!!!!! (sorry for the person who left it behind) I could have married him on the spot! SCORE! BTW, lakes were gorgeous. However, all night long we heard rocks falling from the surrounding ridges. Nights in the back country… stars twinkling… simplicity…

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

“However, all night long we heard rocks falling from the surrounding mountains. Nights in the back country… stars twinkling… simplicity…”

Sounds amazing. I miss the back country. I must get back there soon, but it is about to be covered in snow, I missed my chance this year. But I do plan on getting back next year.

Caleb~ Have you ever snow camped? Talk about it being completely quiet! AMAZING! I once X-country skied in fresh powder. It was the first time I had actually been in falling snow. I thought it was just fog. I was disappointed that snowflakes aren’t like the ones in the cartoons. The quietness with only the swooshing of the skis, no tracks in the snow except for the ones we made, and the dusting of the trees is magic!

I haven’t gone backpacking for a long time… I miss it too.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Best Memories/Happy thoughts….
    Kayaking in the Prince William Sound – Alaska with NOLS
    http://www.nols.edu/

Doing Volunteer Work at Camphill Lehenhof – Deggenhausertal, Germany
    http://www.lehenhof.de/

Rock Climbing with friends in Hueco Tanks State Park – El Paso, TX
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/pa…

Skydiving at the Blue Sky Ranch in Gardiner, NY
    http://www.theblueskyranch.com/

Hanging with the street buskers at Camden Town Market in London

Getting to see East & West Berlin before the wall came down

Going to the Melkweg in Amsterdam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melkweg

Seeing the Statue of David in Florence, Italy

Being able to WALK again after I broke my back.

• Spending time with my nephew. Finding the cutest teddy bear in the second hand store and bringing him home. Being healthy. Having an amazing family. Watching my favorite movie for the umpteenth time and loving every minute. Being able to give love – even to those who don’t always deserve it. Laughing every day. Giving a gift that you know someone is REALLY going to love. Helping a friend when they’re down. Lighting a fire in the woodstove on a chilly night and curling up with a great book. Watching fireflies in the backyard and telling the kids that I believe they are fairies. Christmas morning when everyone comes to me for breakfast – cold red cheeks and smiles. My cat. Oh, so much to be grateful for – every day.

{{{{HUGS}}}} Peace, Karuna

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

The joy that filled my soul the day I was running head phones blaring on our greenway and a baby deer stopped me dead in my tracks. I was able to walk right up to him/her-close enough to pick him up. When i looked through the clearing, there was Mommy deer with the most terrified look in her eyes. We spoke-can’t explain it, maybe a mother thing, but I cried like a baby. It’s a long story about the miracles on that greenway…a great biking friend who succeeded in getting it built who died suddenly of complications from leukemia. Everytime I run or bike there, he brings me gifts. Every time.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BLUE DOLPHIN Your story was so funny. You’re right, guys don’t get the toilet paper thing.

My son moved away from home his 2nd year of college. He just turned 17, had only worked part-time one summer, and didn’t know anything about the cost of living. He was working part-time and living off student loans.

I was in my first year of grad school two hours away. We didn’t get to visit each other for almost two months. I was so excited to see him and after the initial hugs and kisses I asked him what was the most surprising lesson he had learned so far living on his own. He went into this long rant, which he resurrected more than once over the weekend, about chicks and toilet paper.

He had no idea a human could consume so much TP and wondered if we might be eating it. He told me of all the things he imagined he would have to have to attract women he never imagined the TP expense. I remember him looking at me, sincerely amazed, and saying, “Mom if you don’t have toilet paper, just loads of the stuff, the girls don’t even want to come over!” I thought I had raised a moron but then thought about it from his perspective, which didn’t help.

My greatest moment was when I gave natural birth to my son. Nothing will ever compare to that. You understand the process. You’re in the throws of the event: body, mind and soul. Although you know what is going to happen, when that moment arrives the awe and mystery of it is monumental. POW – It is as if you never understood it at all.

Meditating~ OMG!!! That is too funny. You brought tears to my eyes with that story. Poor son, the faster he learns these “truths” about women the easier it will be for him. lol

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I glad to see so many people mentioning cats-

That is my best thing in life (always has been) are my cats. Nothing better than a soft, warm , purring bundle of cute next to me when I feel down.

Some of my fondest memories have to be road trips I used to take with my friends – like New Orleans before Katrina. Trips to London, Costa Rica. Also goofy times we used to have at concerts. Going to the pub with my one friend and having chips and mayo and than going dancing after.

I am sick right now so I keep think about how my mom used to take care of me when I was sick when I was little and oh how I have the worst craving for the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, milk, saltines and crackers, toast with peanut butter and orange juice. And cooked food or not – I am making myself the most perfect vegan grilled cheese when I get better. :)

I don’t know if i have a fondest memory. I am sure I do but can’t think of it right now. One of them might be when I first started working at the zoo.

And gosh, my greatest wish? I don’t know where to begin. World peace, the destruction of money..

Funny toilet paper story. Yeah, guys just don’t get it. My bf claims he doesn’t harldy use any toilet paper but I can tell he does use as much as me. He just wants me to think I use it all. A place without TP …ooo, the horror of it! They better have some really clean leaves around.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I have some great cat memories too. One of my favourites is when I woke up one freezing cold morning to find my cat inside the bed with me, under my arm. I have no idea how he got there and he was fast asleep when I woke up. And then when he was a kitten he used to run into walls, fall of tables, run up the curtains and rip them all the way down as he got bigger.

A few months ago my neighbour told me that her cat had been sitting in the window and Tonka, my cat had seen him and sat staring him out from the garden. Then she said that he suddenly leapt up and pounced at her cat, only to hit the window and he slid down the window making a squeaking sound with his paws, outstretched and embarrassed!

Greenghost, me too with the Melkweg lol!

Zoe – that is such a cute Tonka story. I have some funny cat stories myself.

The cat I had when I was younger and lived with my parents was an outdoor/indoor cat named Frisky. Well, she used to go into the neighbors yard and climb the big apple tree. My dad said that one day he came home from work and the cat was hanging by its collar on a branch! My dad said he thought about leaving the cat there (he said he didn’t like the cat but I know that he did) but he took it down.

The same cat once got curious when my mom was doing the laundry in the basement once. The cat was sitting on dryer looking into the washer. It was a top load washer and she had just put the detergent in and it was all bubbly. She turned away for a second to get the clothes to put in and the cat fell in! She had to fish the cat out. For me the funniest part was when the cat came up stairs and it was all wet with suds on it and I didn’t know yet what had happened. Boy, did I laugh hard. The cat was trying to lick off the suds and was all calm like nothing happened. I got a towel and rubbed her dry and she was purring.

She used to know how to get above the ceiling tiles in the basement (it was once of those 70s style ceiling with foamy like sheets) and one time we were having relatives over for a holiday and we didn’t know she had gone up there and she fell through one of the tiles! It was just like in a movie!

Frisky also used to sit on the grass next to the sidewalk and torture passing by dogs by puffing up and hissing at them. They were actually afraid of her even though she was a teeny little thing!

Bluedolphin: you are using the term right and that sounds like the BEST GROUND-SCORE EVAHHH!!!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I love Kitty stories

My old cat Crackers did the falling thru the ceiling thing too! Cats are crazy!!

My crazy old Crackers…a furrball of pure attitude queen ruler of the house!

Once my daughter was trying to get my granddaughter to do something and she wouldn’t, (my daughter is like me a screamer) so there she was yelling at her if she wasn’t trying to bribe her she would threaten but my granddaughter knew she wasn’t going to do any of it and is twice as stubborn. any way Crackers was in a pounce stance and was waiting, once my daughter turned and had her hand up with something and the cat thought she was going to smack her or something and ran up and bit her and then went ran back into pounce stance waiting for her to do it again. My daughter was so shocked she let my granddaughter get away with it yet again. and then we were at a store and she was throwing a huge fit and my daughter was like hey stop it now the cat isn’t here to protect this time> it was so funny.

My husband made Crackers move out of the recliner she was sleeping in and not sure what happened but after he put his feet up she went and bit his toe, walked away about a foot turned and looked at him and ran back bit his toe again and then went to another area and went back to sleep

then there was the time when a raccoon got in the attic and almost fell into the whole house fan. Crackers went berserk and would not let anyone in the hall so we went down stairs to do stuff and then she would not let us back up stairs i finally had to swish her into the bathroom and lock her up for the night and when i let her out the next morning she looked up at me hissed and did not speak to me the rest of the day.

Who says a cat is not protective. She certainly tried.

I love cat stories!!! here’s one for ya…. so, I had been noticing over the course of a couple weeks that I was starting to miss a lot of my underwear, and comfy pajamas. Not too terribly unusual, until one day walking into my room to get the clothes hamper for laundry, I hear a mischievous brrrrr sound coming from the closet (no door on it) I part the hangers full of dresses, and on the upper level of my shoe shelf was Rami on a huge pile of stolen panties, p jams, and cat toys.! what a nut.. this was when I started working from home so I was there all day to play with him. he also likes scaring himself unnecessarily. my parents have these flat mats in their kitchen that have a rooster design on them. There was something about that mat that was absolutely terrifying to him. When put on it he would spring up 5 feet in the air.

ungrateful~ It was, wasn’t it? lol BTW, what does the “ground” part of ground-score mean? I grew up in the 60’s so I am very familiar with the term “score” (I know there are others who may or may not remember those days too…), but teamed with ground… ???

... I just had a very bizarre thought… will all the guys who read this thread now going to give their women TP instead of flowers or chocolate? FYI… that’s not going to work!!! Bring flowers and/or chocolate AND TP… now that’s the ticket!!! 8o)

I just remembered my funny Fluff story.

Kitty Fluff (queenfluff) once caught a moth with one paw and it went right into her mouth. Gone in two seconds. I was quite impressed.

Kitty Woog is very territorial of her wheatgrass – when anyone takes it off the window sill to go and water it she chases them around until she gets her grass back.

Woog is also afraid of what I call the “Woog Pillow”- it just one of those neckroll pillows but it works in my favor because if ever she is drives me nuts in bed, all I have to do is even pick up the pillow and she goes running. I have total control. :)

I would really like to know what goes on in a cat head when they start running around the house like their butt in on fire but nothing has happened and no one is chasing them. Anyone know?

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Please can someone elighten me as what groundscore is too? I also know what score means but groundscore?!

Queenfluff: I call this cat-phase their “mad half hour” maybe due to imaginary mice?

Like Zoe’s story, I to had a cat (technically “borrowed” from the next door neighbour – they where always out at work) who used to climb into bed with me. He would climb under the duvet head first then turn round and sunggle up next to you with his head just under your chin and peeking out of the duvet. Was very cute…

You had to be careful when he was walking next to you. he was so soppy he would walk looking up at you and if you walked through a doorway he would walk into the wall next to the door if you didn’t stop him.

springleaf – Hmm, that makes sense. I always thought they were doing their exercises. :) I doesn’t seem like they are chasing anything but they are just running crazy with no destination. I call Woogs run the “horsey” run because she makes so much noise like a horse. :)

I just remember a kitty snuggling story too. One of my ex’s had a big black male kitty named Onyx. I called him “Large and In Charge” – hehe! He used to snuggle up under my arm at night and he was actually too warm! Even though it was in a Midwest winter and I was sleeping right next the the heater. Onyx was too warm – I ended up too hot and had to move him! It was so cute though. He let me put my arms around his like a big teddy bear and didn’t even move. I wish one my cats now would do this.

Bluedolfin: The Ground part is just that. Finding something on the ground. It’s all part of the Freegan ethic.

Thankx ungrateful~ Interesting link. :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

When it was over 100 degrees all day and still over 90 in the house at night, then the neighbor puts his irrigation on. They may not cool the house down but just the thought of those rain birds watering the fields made one content, and so the rain birds making there night song of swish-swish, I would fall asleep.