Number one cause

ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Sorry, this is a rant, but maybe you can relate? :)

I was at school sitting with my friends (they don’t know nothing about me being raw vegan) and i can’t remember how it started, oh actually, they were talking about how dear and kangaroo (omg how could they!!?) meat tasted so good (i was listining to my ipod) but my (meat-eating) friend said something along the lines of:

“yeah we shouldn’t eat kangaroo’s because there an endangered species, but its okay to eat cows, and we should eat cows so that they don’t get endangered, also if we didn’t eat them they would overpopulate and that would be worse for climate change because they release lots of methane and stuff”

and im sorry, but at this point i had to cut in, because thats such a stupid, ignorant thing to say, so i started to say, “actually, if you do a bit of research you’ll find that eating meat (of any kind) is the number one cause of global warming” Her mouth literally dropped when i said this. And she said: “What, the number one cause.. how?”

I was about to answer and the bell rang :(

But i actually wasn’t surprised because even though there is HARD EVIDENCE (apart from common sense) that eating meat is the n1 cause, the government CENSERS this info, so hardly ANYONE realises it.

I mean, where do they get this info from, or are they just making up excuses to attempt to justify their guilt?????

God, and i was so passed getting annoyed at meat-eaters!!!!

Okay, finished! :) Thanks for listening ;) I hope you guys had a better day than me!

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi ajchanter: They had an article about this on the BBC news website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7…

Basically it is because roo’s don’t produce as much methane (farts!) as sheep and cows, methane is a green house gas, so it contributes to global warming.

Another point red kangaroo’s aren’t endangered in aus’ they are actually as pest.

But yes vegi’s/vegans best of all!!!

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Hey, Springleaf! Thanks for the article! .. i didnt know that! :)

Yeah, don’t actually think she knew what she was saying, which is why i think i got so annoyed!

Yay, i agree vegi’s/vegans best for the planet! (: Thanks!!

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

ajchanter: I agree it is so anoying when meat eaters / people in general start going on about something of which they clearly know very little and then get cross when you try and put them right!

Here is a lovely quote

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

by Abraham Lincoln

Sometimes I wish I had remembered it before I speak!

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

totally agree! Im loving that quote! and here’s another quote i like: “all things lead to my success” I alwaysssss learn from things good/bad, and it turns out that most bad things end up good in the long-run/term. And i ussually am more polite, but then i was just annoyed! honestly! :D thanks for replying! (:

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

When I was reconsidering my intake of beef, I had heard much about cattle ranching and global warming and the effect on water supplies. When I started looking for a reliable source to inform myself, I came across this publication: Livestock’s Long Shadow.

Although the report relies on data through 2006 (I seem to recall, maybe it was 2005) and was funded by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, it thoroughly addresses the issues and options for environmental consideration. I thought it was the best publication I found.

If you would like to thoroughly educate yourself on the environmental impact of cattle ranching across the globe, I recommend it. The report is tedious and fact-laden. Overall, it is a difficult read and I certainly didn’t read the whole thing or even one-tenth of it. Fortunately, the Summary and Conclusions section hits the high notes, is less than 20 pages, and is easy to comprehend.

The report discloses the good with the bad. Other environmental issues include land use/loss, acid rain (large amounts of ammonia in urine), water pollution, destruction of coral reefs, biodiversity loss, and major polluting agents such as animal waste, antibiotics, hormones, tannery chemicals, and fertilizers and pesticides used to spray feed crops.

Global warming is just a small slice of the pie. It seems to be the only piece we are open to discussing because we percieve the crisis. The rest are fast approaching.