Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nausea and pregnancy

Hi,

Are there any pregnant ladies here or those who have been through a raw / high raw pregnancy?

I’m experiencing a lot of nausea and would love to hear how others have dealt with this.

Thanks,

Nicky

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Oh, I always feel like I’m doing this, but I’ll do it again, Go to shazzies site and read through her online 7 year diary, in it she gets pregnant and has a baby, if she had any morning sickness I am sure she would have writen about it. Good luck! (one thing that just came to me, a friend who was recently pregnant, (not raw) found that eatting only a very small amount at once helped.)

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

i just finished a high raw pregnancy. i got very sick the first 3 months and vomited the whole time, but when i got to the second trimester i was fine. then the last two weeks of pregnancy i had digestion problem but that was due to him being pressed up against my stomach. other than that i felt great. i ate a very high fat raw diet and drank tons of green smoothie. and dont be afraid of Cacao, i ate it every day!

• mjmackeymjmackey Raw Newbie

Try eating every 3 hours or so. It’s the only thing that made me feel better first trimester of my second pregnancy. I found that carrying around a stash of nuts in my purse was useful. :)

• Thank you all for your replies! This is such a great place for advice, support & wonderful information. springleaf – tx. I’ve read Shazzie’s journals. She drank ginger tea to deal with the nausea. Tzefira – did you manage to eat enough despite the nausea and vomitting? I don’t do too well with high fat – seeds and avos included. Was thinking of maybe including some cold pressed organic flaxseed oil. mjmackey – the eating every few hours does help a bit – tx.

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

no i really wasnt able to eat much the first 3 months. but no worries, i tried to drink a smoothie here and there or a veggie juice. i usually threw it all up. but after that hump all was fine and my son came out perfectly healthy. It’ll pass 4 u. no worries. keep us posted. r u going for a natural birth with midwife or concious birth at hospital. i recomend u watch a beautiful dvd thats helped me so much. “Birth as we know it” it’s pricey but well worth it. also another wonderful book is “birthing from within” and “Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth Enjoy

• iknikn

I feel for you! I was really sick with both my pregnancies for the first 3-4 months. Didn’t matter what I ate, all came out. So I choose foods that tasted good at the “second” time too, when I vomited. =) It will pass, just hang in there.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I had all my kids on cooked food, but a friend of mine is high raw and 6 months along. She was quite ill and couldn’t go near a vegetable the first 3 months-just fruit. Now the greens and all are fine.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Ginger is good for nausea of any kind. It also stimulates the appetite, which may help you feel the desire to eat some fresh, healthy food for your health and the baby’s. If you drink hot tea, you can steep fresh ginger slices. If you don’t do hot tea, just puree a knob of ginger (peel and all, if it’s clean) with the desired amount of water, then strain out the ginger, unless you like the spiciness of raw ginger. If you want to make it sweet, you could puree some goji berries with it or after you’ve strained out the ginger fibres. I like goji berries in hot tea. They plump up nicely and add a mild sweetness to the tea. If you’re not a goji fan, just use some agave nectar or your favourite raw sweetener. I hope the nausea passes soon!

• try eating ginger. It helps with nausea. I knew somebody pregnant that took pills full of ginger powder, and they never got nausea. There’s candied ginger too that helps, but it’s not raw i’m sure. Try that and see if it helps any.

• Keep a steady stream of food in you. Carry a sack of grapes and apples with you everywhere and eat some every 30 minutes – seriously! You will be amazed. Dried apricots and almonds are good too for keeping blood sugar levels steady and tummy full. Throughout the day, drink plenty of water with lime and a squirt of agave. Do all this in additon to your regular, every 3 hour meals…

Ginger is said to help, but do only small amounts (maybe 1/2 tsp. per day), I read somewhere that eating too much ginger during pregnancy could be linked to onset of menstration – but you’d have to eat tons for that to happen – but better to be safe and stick to no more than 1/2 tsp. per day.

I’ll spare you my pregnancy nausea/vomit stories – they are waayy too many. I do know, after having this many children, that the amount of rest I get or not is directly linked to how sick I am. So bottom line… eat constantly, and nap as much as you can.

Did you know that in the first trimester (when the placenta is forming) a woman’s body is working as hard as a mountain climber? : )

• Thank you to all you WONDERFUL souls for taking the time to answer, share, and advise. Bless you all!

The nausea only got really bad a few days ago (no vomitting as of now). So what I’ve been doing is fruit (the ones I can stomach) throughout the day (much much less than my usual quantities). Then come evening and I’m usually a bit better but really don’t want more fruit, so I’ve been adding in a super simple cooked vegan meal. I’ve just managed to down a bowl of polenta with as many veges as I could (not many) and a few olives. I added a bit of Himalayan pink salt which seems to do good. I’m not sure if I’m shooting myself in the foot (and increasing the nausea) by adding in the cooked evening meal, but am underweight and really don’t want to loose any more. What are your opinions on this?

I’m just taking each day as it comes and trying to love the experience. Interesting and strange thing this is :-)