Soaking&nuts

I see a lot of recipes require soaking the nuts and sometimes also dates, why? also how can I sprout a nut to check if its really raw or not?

Jah Bless, Ras Saadon.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Almonds are the only nuts that will sprout, but you’ll have to open a soaked one to see. Break one if half and look at the tip. You should see a bud shooting from the tip, pointing toward to base (the larger end of the almond). The tails of the almonds don’t point out of the nut. If they don’t sprout, then your nuts aren’t raw.

Nuts in general are soaked or release the enzyme inhibitors. Raw nuts that aren’t soaked are “dormant”. They are neither living nor dead. Unsoaked nuts can be heavy and indigestible.

http://www.realrawfood.com/benefitsofsprouting.htm

From my experience, Sunfood, Rawguru, and Natural Zing sell nuts that really aren’t raw. I haven’t been able to sprout them, but someone else might give you a different story. Also something to remember is that California passed a law requiring all their almonds to be pasteurized due to a salmonella infestation.

I buy my nuts from http://www.realrawfood.com. I have given up on getting nuts from the US as I really doubt they are raw. I buy the Wild Spanish Almonds. Still leery of the Californian ones from them though.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Well from my understanding nuts have an inhibitor on them when they are raw and soaking them removes it for easy digestion.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

About the Almonds, I soaked mine over night, in the morning I opened them to check for sprouts(while still “wet” if it matters) but couldnt see anything, does it mean they are no raw or do I have to really try and sprout em like other sprout meaning rinse, and drain and give it a few days?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

At the tip of the almond there should be a small shoot pointing toward the rounder part of the almond. If not, they are not raw.