Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Scratchy throat - a slight cough - help me ward this off!!

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I would like to help this symptoms and to stop anything before it progresses. What foods can I use to soothe a scratchy throat/cough? I have lots of oranges and a pineapple – guess I’ll just start eating oranges like crazy for vitamin C.

Comments

• Hopefully this doesn’t sound too gross – but it helps to suck a clove of garlic. I do it when I get a sore throat and it works for me.

“Eat raw, freshly-crushed garlic. Garlic has powerful anti-viral, antibiotic and anti-fungal properties and boosts the immune system in general. It also tends to kill parasites in the intestines.

Deodorized garlic tablets are ineffective in this regard because it is the “smelly” compounds in garlic which give garlic its anti-viral and anti-bacterial effect. Also, it is likely that no single compound in garlic confers all its therapeutic effects. It is likely to be a synergy of compounds. Any refinement, such as deodorizing, is likely to remove beneficial compounds. One example of the synergy of compounds contained in garlic are alliin and an enzyme called allinase. In whole garlic, these two constituents are segregated, but when a garlic clove is “damaged” (e.g. crushed) the two mix together to quickly produce allicin: A pungent, potent antibacterial sulphur compound which is not present in whole garlic! Heat destroys allicin, and so does age (it is most potent when consumed within the first hour). One final note: “Allicin potential” of deodorized garlic supplements is a marketing gimmick to convince you the product has value as an anti-viral; it does not. Don’t be fooled and don’t waste your money on this sham.”

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’m sucking the garlic. I’ll report back.

So far the symptoms have not worsened – either my body is healing – fighting this thing – or I am detoxing.

• garlic is most definately a toxin. Just incase anyone out there forgot, Antibiotic means “anti life”. Moth get some sleep sweet heart. No food is medicine (not even fruit). It just gives you the essentials for your cells/organisms inside your body to work properly. Your body will heal itself. It is only trying to cleanse itself from whatever the problem is, let it do it naturally.

Here are the Natural Hygienes 20 salients of life: 1. Pure Air

2. Pure water

3.Cleanliness (whole body (inside and out) and environment)

4.Sleep

5. Temperatire maintnence

6.Pure, Wholesome food

7.Exercise/ vigorous activity

8. Sunshine

9.Rest and relaxation

10.Play and relaxtion

11.Emotional Poise

12.Security of life

13.Pleasant environment

14.Creative/ usefull work

15.Self awareness

16.Belonging

17.Motivation

18.Expression of natural instincts

19Indulgence of aesthetic senses

20.Love

I kind of it a little bit, but that is the list in excact order. What you want to make of it is up to you. It all makes logical sense to me.

But seriously, get some rest and relax. Make sure your getting sunlight, fresh air, pure water, clean area, rest, and definately pure wholesome food. OJ would be great for a time like this. I know you have a whole bunch ;-)!!

P.S. Blow your nose, don’t sniffle! You don’t want to be sucking up whatever your body’s trying to dispose of!!

• Oh yeah, ever notice how when you eat garlic, or even onions, your breath/body tends to produce an odor smelling like them?? That’s because your body is detoxing the garlic/onion out of you!

We do not naturally produce foul odors! Only during a state of detox will we smell of gnarlyness> I made up a word there, can you guess which one?

• I did a science research paper on herbalism last year and I was interested in what I read about garlic and it’s history. So I tried it when I was sick and I have used it since as it worked. However I guess everybody is different and it may not work for you. And as has been discussed in other forum topics, some people get adverse effects from eating garlic and can be allergic to garlic.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hmm…didn’t seem to work for me anyway, the symptoms are reaching a peak right now – very coughy – mucusy

But I don’t feel sick. I’ve been drinking orange juice.

• Sorry, that’s unfortunate. Yeah, orange juice seems to work with everyone

Hope you get better soon : )

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Thanks – my throat feels like it’s on FIRE. :-(

I haven’t gotten symptoms like these since I went raw, over ten months ago. I wonder what’s up.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

One thing I like to do when I feel like that is eat a whole grapefruit before I go to bed. I peel the grapefruit, then eat meat from each section. I’m not find of the membrane so I don’t eat that. I figure the vit C is where it needs to be during the healing that’s going on during asleep. Seems to work for me…

Feel better soon.

• here’s a tea remedy..

i still make hot tea, but im sure you can make it cold too.

1 oz. horsetail green parts 1 oz. plantain leaves 1/2 oz. linden flowers 1/4 oz. thyme leaves 1/4 oz. fennel seed

mix together all herbs, and make like a tea..

you can also get some horsetail and make a tea out of that, strong immunity booster!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have heard that olive leaf is good for flu but not colds and there is a herb that many people use for both colds and flu. They realize sometimes it works, other times not. The reason it doesn’t work is because it is only good for colds. Sorry can not think of the name right now. Any way , When symptoms FIRST hit, start taking garlic and one or both of these herbs, heavy. This should either stop the bug in its tracks or make it bearable. During winter I carry olive leaf pills with me. If I feel something coming on I am ready.

Thanks for the information about horsetail and the tea recipe. Going to write it down. May be good to take for a winter tea.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Thanks for the remedies. I’m still experiencing bad symptoms: fever, headache, upset stomach, TONS of phlegm and coughing.

I’m feeling pretty aggravated about this, as I thought being raw was supposed to help ward off illness. I have always heard of raw foodists experiencing awesome and perfect health – why would I have gotten this? I’ve been raw for 10 months. I’m just annoyed. I had major doubts yesterday about the raw lifestyle as I was feeling so bad – wondering if it was worth it to be raw if I’m just going to get every little bug that comes around anyway. GRRR.

Still drinking orange juice. I feel like going out for a raw gourmet dinner tonight though, because seriously being ‘ill’ is bringing out some uncomfortable sAD cravings for me.

grrr

• mmm.. im sorry.. feeling sick is the worst..

all i can say is really pamper yourself, take an oatmeal bath..maybe get a massage.. lemon really helps clean out the system, drink a lot of lemon and ginger tea.. you can add some honey too.

anything to really clean out the system of all toxins or free radicals causing this.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

I think what you have is exactly what I have been dealing with for over a week. Nothing I ate seemed to help. Your symptoms are identical to mine. I still have a throaty cough but I feel good and I am just letting it run its course. The good part of this is that I did not take any medications mainly because it did not get too bad, but I think had I been eating on my old “diet” I would have felt much worse. Get better soon!