"GRITTY" FOOD

DreaDrea Raw Master

I need some suggestions from you wonderful raw chefs out there (smile)!

I notice that when I make alfredo sauces, some desserts, anything with a nut base it comes out kinda “gritty”. I’m wondering if anyone has a cure for this?

For example I made, “Roshi’s badam ka halva (Indian dessert w almonds)” last night and it taste GREAT, but it had a kinda “gritty” taste. Now I did use milk pulp of almonds and brazil nuts (grounded) for the base, so I dont know if that made a difference.

So, How can I get smoother cheeses, desserts, sauces that are nut based? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Are you soaking nuts long enough (at all)? I find that the softer the nut, the better it blends. Pine nuts don’t need to be soaked. They are very soft and puree well. Also, this is time consuming, but I’ve had some success with harder nuts, by breaking them down into smaller pieces, then pulsing them in an electric coffee grinder. This makes them powdery and not so gritty. But, be careful. If you grind them too long, the oil will separate out and you’ll get nut butter, which might work fine in your alfredo sauce anyway, but might not be what you wanted. Good luck!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Thanks 1sweetpea I try to soak the nuts at least overnight. But for the “Roshi’s badam ka halva (Indian dessert w almonds)” for example, I used milk pulp. When you say “breaking them down with the coffee grinder” do you mean unsoaked nuts?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

You could soak the raw nuts for 8-12 hours, then rinse and spread out on a towel to dry completely. Give them another 8-12 hours to dry (or dry in a dehydrator for a few hours). Then, put them through the coffee grinder. I don’t have a Vita Mix, which would probably do the same thing. My food processor is fine, but never chops nuts to a fine powder. You should probably save the milk pulp for a recipe where texture isn’t as important. I haven’t tried this yet myself. Thus far, my nut and seed cheezes have been on the gritty side. However, I’ve put chia seed, flax seed and even milk thistle seeds through my coffee grinder and definitely achieved powder. It’s worth a try. I’m going to try it with my next cheeze attempt.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Let me know how that works out 1sweetpea! If there are any other suggestions out there I would sure love to here them. Im hoping some of you have overcome that “gritty” food taste.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I hate to say it, but a really good blender is a good way to get things very smooth. If you don’t have one (or even if you do), be sure to blend thoroughly. Sometimes you may need to blend for a while, stop to let things cool down, and blend some more. I agree with what 1sweetpea says with not over-blending dry nuts for powder, but anything with water (such as an “alfredo” sauce or “cheese”) can take lots of blending. The smooth texture is worth the extra work and waiting.

Also, maybe that Halva recipe is just gritty . . .