favourite recipes to bring to non-raw-food-eating parties

I am going to a Thanksgiving potluck this evening, and want to bring some dishes that are really delicious for my non-raw food friends. What are your favourites? (Preferably something simple as I am obviously pressed for time.) I am thinking various dips and spreads would be nice with sliced veggies.

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Zoe’s “Cheese With Spring Onions” – I leave out the pine nuts, and the oil I replace with water. People love it as a dip for veggies or crackers.

If you’re feeling wealthy/generous, you could make raw chocolate pudding with avocados, raw cacao powder & agave. People who don’t normally go for avocados are surprised at this one.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I make this really good ginger pear relish. I used to make it every year even before I was raw. It is a chopped pear, some chopped green onion, a handful of dried cranberries, a little fresh rosemary dressed with honey or agave, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. I don’t have the exact measurements because I am at work. It is very, very good!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Oh yes, and a little grated fresh ginger.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Put SOME oil in the seed cheese though. It makes it more flavorful but not over powering. Definitely leave out the pine nuts though.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

honestly, i just do a quick guacamole with veggies. or a raw berry pie, slightly frozen. for example: grind cashews, add agave , that’s the crust.

blend strawberries and cashews, thats the filling. put crust in pie pan, put in filling. freeze for an hour or just chill well, before serving.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I would bring a huge Greek salad, complete with raw olives. I’d supply a container of crumbled real feta cheese for the omnivores to use, if they wish, but some mock feta for me (and any other takers). I’d make some zucchini hummus and bring crudites to dip, plus some dehydrated flatbreads. Since it’s autumn, I’d make a corn and scallion salad (a la Matt Amsden—leave out the salt completely if your curry powder contains salt) or else a slaw or a grated beet, carrot and dill salad with a simple citrus and dill vinaigrette. Salsa and guacamole with dehydrated tortilla chips would be nice too. The funniest for me would be to shock my chopped liver-loving Jewish relatives with a walnut or pecan version that tastes like it’s really liver. I’m working on it! The texture won’t be tough to reproduce.

I’m not a dessert person, but I think it would be very cool to wow people with raw apple, peach or pumpkin tartlets (fall season only) topped with raw “ice cream”. If you have the time, this is how to win people over to the raw lifestyle and clear up the misconception that it’s all just carrot sticks, celery and apples. Something decadent and chocolatey would have the same effect.

Don’t emphasize the fact that any of it is raw and vegan, except perhaps the “mocked” liver, LOL. Let them discover that it tastes fantastic before letting them in on the secret.

• how about some raw choc truffles, you could load them up with hemp, gojis or whatever. Once your pals have tasted the bliss there will be no need for words, they’ll most probably be clamouring for more info.

Just realised that event has come and gone, hope you had fun!