Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sick from eating raw garlic

mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

if i eat a piece of raw garlic and the juice gets to my stomach i feel really ill instantly

if i let it sit in my mouth my tongue feels strange for a bit

both effects don’t last long

is this normal? or am i allergic to garlic?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

my husband is allergic to garlic and so is a friend of mine. they both have stomach upset.

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

if you were to eat a raw clove of garlic would that make you feel sick?

• No, I can eat raw garlic with no stomach problem. But I am French so…

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

You know what? Lately I can’t eat anything with raw garlic in it. Even just a tiny bit and the flavor starts building up on my tongue until I can’t make myself take another bite! I can tell the food tastes good and my husband likes it but I just can’t get it down. I have the same reaction to a lot of onion except for Walla Walla sweets but they barely qualify! Yummy Wallas! Anyway I’ve been just substituting a minute amount of garlic or onion powder but be careful with that because even that can become overpowering.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Interesting, my husband has the same problem with garlic, even one clove (hmm,sp??) in the salad can be too much for him and he gets an upset stomach… too bad, as I can eat a lot ;)) Maybe it is because his system gets more sensitive?

But we still wrap every once in a while a whole garlic bulb into tin foil and bake it in the oven… not raw I know, but roasted garlic is soooo addictive ;)))

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

i can eat things with garlic in them with no problem

but if i take a clove of garlic and chew it up and swallow it really fast, or if i crush it in the food processor and swallow it, i get very sick for a few minutes… it feels like i have to throw up, but i can’t

not a good feeling at all

garlic is supposed to be good for you but if i’m allergic to it it may be bad for me

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

there are some in the raw world that say if you can’t make a meal of it or feed it to a baby, don’t eat it. That said, you could try slicing the clove lengthwise and remove the little shoot that’s in the center. Someone here told me that or I read it in an uncook book. It helps make raw garlic a little easier. Let us know how it works out for you, mewmewmint.

• I say your stomach is just not used to it. Very few people are actually allergic to foods, especially foods that are good for you.

Maybe start slow and work your way up.

Anyhow, Garlic can do that though mainly when you take 2-3 or more cloves. Depends on the person. And if you throw up, as Dr. Christopher said, “a cleaner stomach for the next dose!”

• Do research on the digestable qualities of garlic. Anything our body can’t digest is a toxin. As far as the fact that garlic kills, someone already posted why it kills. In case you can’t put two and two together, as I mentioned, anti-biotic means anti life. If something causes “anti life” it therefore kills. There has been research done on garlic, you just have to dig a little deeper.

We are not suppose to consume irritants/night shades plants. You guys can consume your garlic, I will not.

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

When I got my wisdom teeth out last year, I got some kind of antibiotic resistant infection. I refused to try another kind of antibiotic, I just stuck a clove of garlic down the hole. Within four hours, the swelling was gone, and the pain relieved. Another two days (with salt water rinses) and the infection was gone all together. I think that garlic is one of the plant world’s many gifts of healing. Garlic may kill life, but I am glad! Some things shouldn’t be living in me.

• okeee

Its the best food out there for colds, antibacterial stuff, flu, any such problems as well as male problems and so on.

Poison….?

I WOULD give it to a weening baby. I have heard too much good about it. Many people have started their babies with superfood powder (www.herbdoc.com) and garlic. Does wonders.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

are you eating it on a empty stomach? maybe you should eat something else first and then try it.

good luck!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Garlic in small quantities is fine if you can stomach it. I would not recommend daily use of it, but it is a very potent antiviral. But your body is the boss. Notice how I said body and not mind. That is a very important thing to always keep in mind. Let all negativity towards anything on this Earth go in one ear and out the other. Everything has beauty and should be respected not degraded.

Lots of Love V

• No wonder you react to it when eating a whole clove by itself – garlic is burning! Can obviously get used to it, as not everyone here seems to have a problem with it, but..

I think garlic can be good for many things, but I also believe that it’s not so good for other things. I know in some yogi tradition they don’t eat garlic or onion, partly because it is said to “kill your brain” or something. But I’ll continue to have a little here and there. It doesn’t attract me that much when raw, though.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

HolyGuacamole, TreeofLife isn’t that far off.

Basic chemistry knowledge, people. Treat garlic with the same respect as you would any plant with medicinal values.

If it makes you ill, stop eating it, period.

• There are no such things as superfoods. Our body does the healing. Food is fuel and nutrition. Everyone talks about how great garlic is, it has antibacterial/anti-biotic/anti-fungal properties. Hmmmm. antibacterial=anti bacteria: we have more bacteria (GOOD) in our bodies than “human cells”. Anti biotic= Anti life. I don’t know about you but I love life, I sure don’t want to kill it, whether or not it’s a “superfood” or drug. Anti-fungal= well we all can assume what that is. I’m not saying fungus for us, because it is certainly not, but I am saying that it kills. it kills. it kills. If we have a healthy body we will not have to worry about an anti-fungal food or anything of that sort. Our cells/organisms will do the cleaning.

Do some research on garlic, my friend. You will see that it is a toxin. It has many indigestable enzymes to it, which get stored as toxins. It kills life. I certainly don’t want to consume that. Ever notice how you STINK like garlic when your done eating it? That’s because your body is trying to eliminate the toxins!

So, be grateful you can listen to your body that well as it tells you to STOP EATING GARLIC!

And to say your body is not “use to it” says is enough for me. If you have to start small and increase large on something to get your body use to whatever it is. Then, it must be no good. If something is bothering you and you decide to start taking a little and then increasing it so you do not feel the symptoms, that is not good. The reasons why you stop feeling the symptoms is because your over-loading your body with these toxins and you end up numbing yourself from the feeling.

If it makes you sick, don’t eat it!

• Garlic is poison and kills? Erm, prove it!! I have candida and am trying to go raw. My local health food store clerk suggested I take 3 cloves of garlic (chopped, to release alliin) daily as well as a probiotic and to cut out sugar. Her recommendation did alleviate symptoms but I can’t refrain from sweets. That is too hard for me so I am trying to go raw, gradually, more and more. Garlic helps me get over sickness faster than without so I can’t agree that it is “poison” when it aids in healing. Sometimes experience speaks louder than some nonsense written by someone who doesn’t have a clue. That being said, we can’t believe everything we read. Now, juicing raw garlic made me vomit so I won’t ever do that again because it burns all the way down like liquid fire. On the other hand, I can swallow the chopped garlic with water and I am fine. I find garlic to be an indispensable healing food, personally …

Thanks TreeofLife, that is interesting information. I will certainly get more into it and do some research on that. But I love, love, love garlic… so it would be sad to find out it is actually not doing you that good as you thought…

• There is zero evidence that garlic is in any way toxic to humans and lots, lots, LOTS of documentation of its benefits. Nor is any there reason to believe that the overwhelming evidence in favor of garlic’s being safe and beneficial is all a nefarious plot perpetrated by “Big Garlic.”

The definition of a toxin is not “you smell like it after you eat it.” The fact of the matter is, all animals smell of what they eat, whatever that may be. Eat curry, smell like curry. Eat fruit, smell like fruit. Eat garlic, smell like garlic. That doesn’t mean garlic, or fruit, or curry, is toxic. It is widely acknowledged among raw foodists that one’s body odor changes substantially as they change their diet. All of the sudden with garlic it’s a sign of toxicity? Really?

Many cultures and philosophies have avoided consuming foods they find to be exciting or stimulating, and garlic is one of those foods. Again, that it’s toxic simply doesn’t follow.

Of course everyone should do what feels right to them personally, but to come on here and make totally unsupportable claims and present them as fact – and as dire, urgent, life or death fact at that – is just silly.

Lovely answer humanimal :))

• I agree with HolyGuacamole.

Garlic is really great. As with the ‘superfood’ is a WONDERFUL organic and/or wildly harvested green powder mix that Dr. Schulze makes. It is wonderful stuff and gives you A LOT of energy.

He is a vegan and has been for 30 years, had a clinic for 20, used cayenne and garlic in LARGE doses.

One lady was dying of some kind of virus, took 47 cloves of garlic a day, and got over it.

• “if it makes you sick, don’t eat it!”

What does sick mean? Oftentimes being ‘sick’ is just detoxification, a GOOD thing.

Anyhow, what if I have 2 gallons of water in one sitting and get ‘sick’? OR, maybe I have 8 oz of wheat grass juice, or a quart of pure red beet juice? That might make me ‘sick’ as well.

What I found out through looking more around is that there is only one site that writes of the poisonous effects of garlic and even so I am in holistic and alternative health, it does not sound very supportive for me.

What we do have on the other hand is the more than overwhelming evidence, supported in many ways, of the positive effects of garlic.

I know, in many Eastern health and spiritual practices anything like onion, garlic, chives, etc. is not highly recommend. I do honor that information, especially as I am studying macrobiotics, but one always has to give and take on things and find a healthy balance.

There is a toxic substance in garlic, and so in onions, and it does effect pets very badly, as also chocolate and macadamia nuts. We all know how large amounts of raw cocoa effect us, but that said, you can still consume it and it is still healthy for you taken in normal amounts.

So yes, it is good to look up more info and there is always the possibility to get new insights on new researches done. But it is always good to find more than one page writing about it and others taking the same info on. I like to find more studies in those cases and was not able to find anything.

But it got me looking, and thats never wrong :)

• I didn’t know garlic could be considered as toxic and I am glad I read this thread. I will think twice before having some from now on.

And I regret that some people are so agressive towards others on this forum. Why that? Every one is free to agree or disagree, this shouldn’t be a problem.

• Water is considered toxic. Should I think twice before drinking it?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Couldn’t hurt. :-p

• miss soufflemiss souffle Raw Newbie

belikeyeshua- uh, how on earth is water toxic? haha awesome

great thread btw. i don’t eat garlic and i do agree that its not good for us but is good for us at the same time, depends on circumstance i think!

• Because if you drink 3-5 gallons in ONE sitting, you generally die. Look it up. There are lots of articles on it. Its called water intoxication. I read about it once but I forgot what it actually did to you.

So, yeah… everything is toxic, to one degree or another. It depends on how much you take.

This is like what drugs do, or um, how they are made. It is often a chemical taken out of a plant… the plant itself is really good but its SO concentrated that its called a drug and it can kill you, even if at times it helps people somewhat.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

hmmm…. if only one clove hurts, I would steer clear, or limit consumption…. Did you consume anything else with the garlic? I find it gives me major gastrointestinal problems if eaten raw with evo, and/ or tomatoes.