Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw winter squash???

I know raw butternut squash is excellent, and I was wondering if any other varieties were also as soft and sweet raw.

They are too expensive to buy without knowing for sure…

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

acorn is ok – i make ‘rice’ or ‘risotto’ with it.

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

I cut acorn squash into cubes and toss with a bit of salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and dates paste then dehydrate briefly (like 1-2 hours on 105) This gives it an almost cooked richess. Then I throw it in the high speed and whip it up with some carrots or sweet potato a tiny clove of garlic(optional) and a splash of olive oil (sometimes a cumin depending on the mood). Blend until it’s the consistanacy of a think spread or pate…. it’s amazing!

Dinner guest love it – rawbies or not. You can also add extra cocnut milk, nut milk or just water to make it a hearty winter soup….mmmmmm…might have to get a squash this weekend.

p.s. I do not recommend spaghetti squash. bleeeech that was a disaster. i had to throw it away – and I never throw food away!

Happy Squashing!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I am not sure if spagetti squash is considered a winter squash, but it is good raw. It takes some work to remove it, but I like it.

• I love delicata squash.

• IMO, steer clear of the flattish round orange ones with the different colored bottom. kalabasa? not sure. just know it was too dry and yuck and ended up in the compost after hanging around for too long :) not like butternut

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Awesome jah rawstafari!!!!

That’s a great recipe! Thank you so much for posting it! I do have 6 acorn squash and did not know exactly what to do with it. This spread sounds superb and I will do it tomorrow to take it to a Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. Again, this sounds so absolutely yummy, I just would love to taste it right away :))) Thanks so much, and if you have a photo, please post it. I will do so once I made it :))

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I have NEVER eaten squash – but strangely I’ve been craving it for a few weeks now.

I will have to be brave and go out and get some! I guess I’ll start with butternut and go from there.

How do you guys prepare it? I feel like shredding it with some seasonings and putting it in a romaine leaf as “taco meat.” .

• Here’s a recipe I made once and thought it was good. Don’t remember where I got it. 1 medium butternut squash 1 large yam or sweet potato Pulverize squash, potato & carrot in Food 1 or 2 carrots processor. Mix in onion & apple. 1 small onion diced Decorate with cranberries and pecans. 1 apple diced Garnish w/ Kale 1/2 c. dried cranberries 1/2 c. kale for garnish 1/2 c. whole pecans

Don’t know how much it makes. I think I halved the recipe when I made it…lasted a couple days. Sorry I didn’t put it in the recipe section. I’ve never done it and I’m too tired right now to try and figure it out. Probably not the best food combining.

• Oops, my previous post got a little disjointed. Sorry, I’ll try and post it in the recipe section tomorrow. Everything is there. It just requires a little sorting out.