Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

To wash or not to wash

I’m curious to know what you guys think about this….

When I am ready to chow down on some dates, or make a salad with some yummy greens, sprouts, etc. Sometimes I don’t wash them cause I feel that what is already on there might be better than running them under chlorine tap water, and who knows what other chemicals are in there.

I know I could probably get a water filter that hooks up to the faucet, and wash em off that way, but money is a little tight.

Watcha think!?

Comments

• I never rinse my stuff unless there’s an obscene amount of dirt on there—I consider it my free vitamin B! :D

• If I see dirt, I wash it off. But if the stuff looks clean, I don’t bother. Hey, how much is some cold water gonna remove anyway? If you think about poo and pee and stuff.. the bacterias won’t go away with a little flush. I don’t know how you wash your greens ofcourse.. But I definetly don’t bother with rubbing and scrubbing mine :-P

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I buy organic and like satnam, unless there is obvious dirt of some kind I dont wash, I like em just the way they are :).

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Wash, wash , wash with the nice recipe on here for vegetable wash. I was talking to a local grower here about white fly on my tomatoes. She, the organic farmer urged me to use PYRETHRUM because it would help and it was allowed for natural growing methods. Are you kidding?!!! That is a potent neurotoxin used for stubborn cases of head lice and scabies!!! I made my natural spray and it took care of the problem, but these local growers that are “naturally grown” ...great local stuff but please wash.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hmm, this is a great question! I never wash the greens, I always get organic. If they’re not organic, then washing them might be better to get rid of the pesticides but otherwise, yep, I think you’re just washing them in chlorine. I’d like to hear other’s opinions, too!

• Wellll… assuming that you buy organic, its usually pre-washed, and not grown in a coating of chemicals, so in that case not washing is pretty alright! if you buy local/organic veggies and they are fresh out of the ground (carrot, ect) then the dirt is actually good for your body, as dirt contains coenzymes to aid digestion and what not. (in moderate doses of course) Though, for non organic foods, DEF wash them, but NOT in tap water. I live in manitoba, Canada, and I know that our tap water is actually filtered through bone shard, and is full of fluoride and chlorine so we have a brita filter that is constantly being refilled for the use of soaking, and sprouting and washing foods, and simply drinking.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I buy organic…I don’t wash anything…

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

After watching my dog pee on my basil every day, I began washing. There’s no chemicals, sure, but who knows what or who pooped on your salad! :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

With organic food that you don’t grow yourself, I would suggest washing. The reason is, there are some things that are “allowed” on organics(depending on the certifiers and what is being grown). You could end up with a mouthful of soap(used for buggies on some foods), or worse, so I would rinse my food first.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

And I buy organic and still wash it…mostly buy from local Amish farmers, so finding a bug amongst the bunch of greens I buy is pretty likely, plus you never know what birds or animals have visited their gardens during the night and I’d rather not have that on my food. We are like you lzhpt, and grow basil and other simple herbs and I know for a fact that the neighbor’s cat as well as squirrels and birds, and if there’s food, there are more than likely mice at times, so who knows what have tracked through there and I don’t want those germs. Also, think of this, they say that in your grocery store, each tomato has been touched an average of 20 times before YOU buy it…ew, where have those hands been? All that produce has been picked, packaged, stocked on shelves, squeezed, sniffed and felt by other people in stores, packaging facilities, trucking industries, and in the fields…it’s all a personal choice, but I literally had seen a man blowing his nose in the fields without a hankie once and then went back to the garden work…that was enough to make me think about who was touching the food I was putting on the plate for myself and our children :( Recently read about some workers going to the bathroom in the fields, so whether organic or not, they still could be contaminated… I know, that’s what our immune system is for, and it’s just my take on it because who knows if my immune system would be able to handle everything. I think that if you feel aok without washing, then go for it, but when in doubt, wash it out :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Ya’ll do realize that most organic food is grown in manure, right? Conventional crops are grown with manure too, of course. So, you really should rinse your food or risk the pathogens that can reside in manure.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

i went to a lecture of victoria boutenko in september, she said something like that: don’t wash your produce. because there will be tons of bug’s eggs and bugs and they are good for you, in a nature no one wash there fruit, veggies. also when you wash everything, you’ll became weak, we need germs in our life we actually gets stronger to having them.

when i picked veggies from my garden, i don’t wash them most of time, but i do wash them when i bought greens and fruit from store(i buy organic). i actually asked my produce guys about it, they said “wash them before you eat because you never know what happened them while shipping or even in a store….”. i do still eat fruits with out washing when i bought from farmer’s market, because i just can’t wait to get home!

i still don’t know what make of it that victoria’s new study…... kinda make sense but i don’t want to eat bugs….i won’t eat animals, so bugs are same way…

• If you have to wash it, you shouldn’t be eating it!

I personally get all of my greens from a local, non spraying, organic farm so those are never washed. Bananas are organic and peel, don’t wash. Apples, pears, some berries, peaches, pick them wild (aka non sprayed, biodynamic, pieces of sunshine). Mangoes, have a peel/ organic.

I try to stay away from foods that I have to wash just because it doesn’t seem right to wash my food if I’m suppose to be eating it.

As far as bugs go, if they’re there, I’ll eat them. They’re larva all over your fresh organic fruit anyways. I love all creatures, but I’m going to eat whatever I feel is right for my fuel. I don’t go bug hunting, but I don’t discriminate!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Where is the link for the vegetable wash recipe? I’ve been using agricept and a natural veggie wash or white vinegar…thanks :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I usually wash everything as there are organic compound used on organic produce. One example is nicotine sulfate, which is used as a pesticide and is toxic to insects and warm-blooded animals, as in humans.

I started my vertical farming project this Spring and made lots of mistakes. I think I know how to get it off the ground next year for Spring. I am just now harvesting my very late summer crops and havew planted my fall crops. I don’t intend to wash any of them unless I find bird poo on a tomato or something like that.

I would just like to say that I am only planting organic, heirloom seed. No exceptions. I am completely amazed at how much more flavor my crops have than anything I have purchased elsewhere. I have some yellow cherry tomatoes that will make you smile and, if the weather holds out, I will be able to see my other 4 species of tomatoes and 3 species of peppers mature. I have tasted some of the kale, and mustard/Asian greens already and they are fantastic. I am blown away by how amazing these heirloom foods are.

Do yourself a favor and grow at least one crop for yourself, even if you do so in containers. It is fabulous.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

meditating-where do you get your heirloom seeds? I’ve been considering that for my next year’s garden. Also, are heirloom all that much different? I had some amazing tomatoes this year and they were traditional.

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

veggie wash recipe:)..... http://goneraw.com/node/10638