Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

lecithin

I seen a lot of raw recipes calling for lecithin but i know its not raw. Does anyone use it because I’m debating if I need to buy it?

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

To the best of my knowledge, lecithin is derived from one of two sources: soy or eggs. I’m not sure how you’d be 100% certain which is the source of your particular batch. My boyfriend swears that his soy-based lecithing “gets things moving” inside. My dad was told it might postively affect his LDL cholesterol. Who knows if it’s had any positive effect, since he also takes medication for high cholesterol. The taste is pleasant, the emulsification factor is handy for nut mylks and smoothies, but it is definitely not a raw product. If you’re not 100% raw and you’re soy-friendly, seek out the soy-based version and give it a go. I can buy it in Canada at a bulk foods store. See if you can do the same. That way, you can try a small amount and not commit to a whole tub.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

it tends to give me an msg reaction, but if you want to thicken something in an alternate way, you could use chia seeds….it will give a thick tapioca like texture to anything.I jsut add 1 part chia to 4 or 5 parts liquid. for a thinner texture, chia will bsorb 1 to 9 parts water.. correct me if I am wrong anyone :) what recipe would you like to make?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Chia or flax will do that. Apparently, both can be used as substitutes for eggs in baking. Good suggestion, Chicory!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Lecithin changes the viscosity of the cellular fluid… Like soap in water, (soap makes water more slippery)... Our cells are better able to perform their duties of cleaning out toxic wastes and rebuilding new structures with the use of lecithin… I put it in all my smoothies and have no medical problems at this time… I use the non-GMO soy based…

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi spider

I think it’s a pity this ingredient is creeping into raw recipes – when I first went raw two years ago I never saw it listed. Basically, as people have pointed out, it’s not raw. The ‘health benefits’ of it can be debated (there are all sorts of benefits claimed for all sorts of cooked food), and, sure, anyone who’s not 100% raw and eats cooked food may be fine with it, but it shouldn’t be included in recipes professing to be RAW.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have read that a small study showed that lecithin actually removes arterial plaque. However, it came with a warning that as small bits of plaque come off, this process could lead to a heart attack. I have been interested in trying it but hesitant given my age and my insane LDL for so many years.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I vomit horribly if I eat lecithin in a pure form; I don’t know why. I think people are using it in recipes for texture?

• Thanks for the responses.I do not really need lecithin but was curious.It sounds like too many mixed reactions and I think my smoothies are fine without it.However I do not believe that all cooked food is bad.But if I eat cooked I take a digestive enzyme.A lot of people think you need to be a 100 percent raw.Lets say for instance I was making raw sushi but couldn’t find the raw nori so I used toasted I’m sure there would be no negative effects on my body.I think its important to get your daily nutrition like EFAs and the minerals and vitamins from raw foods.After your body has the daily nutrition you can ease up.Its only my opinion though.

• agreed…raw fusion rocks!

• Spider – I agree with you about not needing to be 100% raw to experience amazing health benefits. In my experience with lecithin, it makes a huge difference in the texture of raw desserts such as Key Lime Pie or Chocolate “Cheese” Cake, especially the firming result as it sets. In Smoothies, I love the way lecithin makes it very smooth and creamy. However, it’s true that you don’t really need it. Ultimately, I would recommend that you give it a try and see what you think. There’s nothing like experiential decision making!