Farmer in Chief

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

The average citizen, regardless of country, is unaware of the looming world-wide food crisis which grows as we speak. Despite the sting of higher food prices over the last year, this problem will soon affect every single one our lives.

This is a significant national security problem. It is a multi-faceted and complex issue. The good news is if we can get our fellow citizens and leaders to pay attention to the problem, we can avoid a future problem that may make the current economical issues seem like a walk in the park.

The New York Times has published an article titled FARMER IN CHIEF.

If you eat food, this article is important to you. It is an easy read and not that long given the wide range of information relayed. The most liberating thing any of us can do is become educated on the topics that directly affect us, our loved ones, and the environment. This article does that. I hope everyone will take the time to read it so we can understand the problems, the solutions, and have the information necessary to inform others. The public has to become educated on this topic.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Meditating~ Thank you for sharing this eye opening and educational article!!! YOU are correct, this NY Times publication should be read by every citizen of the World but esp Americans!!!

Hopefully these changes will be implemented ASAP as time is running out!!!

• Hi there waterbaby, I really liked this article and will send it to some friends. Thanks Meditating. Pollon is a great advocate for sustainable farming because he is considered a moderate. More power to him I hope this takes off in the mainstream.

• Thank you for posting this Meditating. Lots of great info!

Here’s an article somehwhat relating to it with possible future changes (or not) in agribusiness, and where each presidential candidate seems to stand, that Pollan speaks about.

http://www.grist.org/comments/food/2008/10/03/i…

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

oh yeah I read this article last week. Sooooo good. It makes me really excited about my massive gardening project I”m working on!

• TJAB- is it in your backyard, then? There is a neat little church group that purchased an old farmer’s acreage at the corner of 159th and BlackBob/Lackman that allows anyone who wants to pay $25 for a whole year and have a 10 by 12 plot of their own to plant their own garden in. They have very convenient access to, and free, water and hoses, garden tools they let anyone use free, and till it all up for you at the beginning of the season, and put mulch walkways down between the plots and will help water people’s plots when they are out of town- all for free except for the original $25. They have free potluck dinners outside there sometimes a free concert and kids games, with anyone welcome to join in and are just super nice, non-pushy (did not ever try to “convert”me to their religion or talk religion to us just because we joined in their gardening group) people, which was really nice… and very impressive imho. :) The church is called New Pathways if I remember correctly. But in case you’d like more garden area, thought you’d like to know. There is a blue and white sign up beside the house that is on the property, on the NE corner. It IS exciting growing your own food! :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Wow – incredible! Eloquently written. Everyone needs to read the article – thanks meditating!

aspire-that sound absolutely wonderful! I’ve been hearing more and more about things like that. It’s such a fantastic idea to get people involved.

My garden is actually in my front yard(the neighbors ho hum but I don’t care!). I don’t have enough sun in back because of a massive tree. I have four 6’X 4’ plots as well as three herbs gardens and one circular bed that I plan on planting strawberries in. It’s very extensive and has been really hard work but I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. Eventually I’m hoping to get some fruit trees and grape vines.

• Very cool TJAB! The KC RawFood Meetup Group just hosted a “Food Not Lawns” talk with (one of?) the guy(s) who originated it, I guess, a few weeks ago at the KC RawFood Green Fest. Sadly, I had to work so couldn’t go for that part. But that is along the lines of what you are doing sounds like. Bet your neigbors will think twice about what you’re doing as the price of food goes up.

haha, I didn’t see that meetup! I’ve been really busy and haven’t been able to go to many though.

My neighbors said I was crazy….in those words. ha

• Awww. Too bad we aren’t neighbors. We could be “crazy” together, therefor “less” crazy. ;)

haha amen sister!

It is a bit funny how it ends up that we’re called crazy and yet we’re some of the happiest, healthiest and most active people in our communities. It would seem that if you didn’t want that you’d be crazy!

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

i totally agree – although i wish that in the article that they presenting the amount of waste eating meat / animal products are having.