Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

staph infection

so i have had this recurring staph infection for months now.. i ended up on antibiotics and it cleared up.. but as soon as i had finished my prescription.. my infection returned. so i did another bout of antibiotics and the same thing has happened.

i am doing a cleanse now to help me transition back to raw (i had surgery 6 weeks ago and ended up back to eating a pretty gross diet) and am hoping it may help with my staph and yeast infection i ended up with as a result of the antibiotics. sigh.

i was planning on returning to see a doctor tomorrow.. but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if anyone has any alternatives for me to try.. i haaaaate taking antibiotics..

ive used ACV and tea tree oil to cleanse the infected area.. tried peroxide.. aloe vera..

any help would be great! im finding myself incredibly depressed over this… the back of my legs is all scarred up form it.. im gross.. im itchy.. embarrassed.. yeah. any suggestions! i am all for trying them!!!!

thanks.

Comments

• CaresCares Raw Newbie

Oh…this is going back a lot of years, but I recall at the time going completely off eating ALL grain and also for a short time not eating any sugar even fruit sugar. I pretty much lived on nuts, veges, dairy. Can’t tell you much more than that as it was about 15 years ago :-)

• CaresCares Raw Newbie

You could try using Bi-carb soda to alleviate the itchiness. Just mix a little water with it to make a paste and rub it onto skin. You could also try boosting your digestive enzymes, I’m in Australia so can’t suggest brands etc as I don’t know what is available where you are, but ask in a health food store.

• thanks cares! i was thinking about doing no sugars for awhile anyway to help deal with my candida so perhaps that is the way to go.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I would use diluted grapefruit seed extract (GSE) on the area. GSE is a strong, broad, anti-microbal with no known toxicity issues. I personally have never seen anything it would not clean up. However, it sounds like you have a staph infection that hasn’t been killed off and keeps mutating. That is something you need to stamp out ASAP.

I would also take 15 drops of GSE in a sweet juice (as it is bitter) 2-3 times daily to try to keep the infection from entering your bloodstream and becoming systemic. If that happens, you are going to have a most serious problem.

Good Luck to you.

• I will try that, Meditating. i have taken GSE in tablet form in the past to help with my candida and it does wonders. I think that’s a great idea. Thank you!

• It would seem that my fast and addition of GSE to my anti-candida/staph diet have done absolute WONDERS.. at this point. its only been a few days but i feel much more hopeful that i can be rid of this pesky problem. just wanted to update.. thanks all for your input!

• wow… I read the opening to this post and had all kinds of medical thoughts; I am a RN and thought MRSA and where and open wounds and taking all abx and DM….then I read your last post. That’s pretty cool!!!!! The only other non- abx I have heard is honey from a certain bee on NPR. Also the silver infused products wound care nurses uses.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Try on the effected area a creme of Calendula, that helps fight a staph infection, it is the most powerful herb to do that and has been proven very effective.

I agree, GSE is very good, try that and see how it works for you. Beside that oil of oregano has wonderful abilities and tested similar and better than penicillin as our body does not get those nasty side effects from it. Oil of oregano even fights successfully parasites. We take it every day to boost our immune system and have very good experience with it.

LOORIN – I am glad to hear that you are having some success with your staph infection. I am glad to hear you mentioned fasting. Most people don’t usually consider that type of option. I have been reading a lot about fasting these last few months and it sounds as impressive an option as GSE. I swear by GSE.

Remember to continue using the gSE both topically and eternally for 2 weeks after the staph disappears to make sure you get it all. Otherwise, it could mutate and come back.

My daughter-in-law was pregnant some time ago and had a horrible systemic fungus that was all over her body. She had open wounds all over and would cry because they itched so bad. Her doctor told everything he could give her to kill it would harm the baby and she would have to wait until she delivered for treatment and would be unable to breast feed. I spent hours reading about GSE to see if it might work. I could find no occurrences of toxicity or negatives side effects. She began taking it orally and topically for 4 weeks daily but after 8-10 days or so all visible signs of it had disappeared. It never came back either.

BEATE64 – I have had good luck with oil of oregano too. I buy the essential oil and run it in a nebulizer during cold season. I don’t think it is the most fragrant smell so I always chase it with some eucalyptus.

• Anti-biotics = Anti-Life. When consuming such rediculous drugs you are killing off all sorts of ALIVE cells/organisms. Yes, this does include the “bad” bacteria which is giving the staph infection, but it also includes the GOOD bacteria that is fighting it. When you get off of your script of junk pills your body has to catch up before the bad bacteria does.

Get down to the cause, don’t cover up the symptoms! i.e. If you don’t get sleep at night and wake up tired, taking caffeine will only hide your symptoms of being tired, drowsy. When your off of the caffeine, you go back to being tired and drowsy. GET MORE SLEEP instead.

• I completely agree with your sentiments, TreeOfLife, however.. when stuck in hospital after surgery, in Canada anyway, there isn’t a whole lot of arguing with the doctors when it comes to what they’re telling you what to take!

I LOVE! oil of oregano. I had terrible strep much earlier this year and the only thing that helped it at all was oil of oregano and cayenne pepper. I have been using it ever since.. not daily, but I may start considering that. I will keep my eyes peeled for Calendula Creme too.. Not sure that is something I have ever seen before. Thanks beate64!

Meditating, that is quite the eye opening story about your daughter in law.. And it really gives me hope. I really was.. well depressed about this. And I am finally well.. relieved and hopeful! I appreciate everyones support. It has been much needed.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi Meditating, interesting in a nebulizer… hmm, good idea, especially in the bedroom maybe, got to get one of those. We take it internally, usually 1-2 times daily about 6-7 drops in some water and down it fast so it does not sting in the throat. Diluting with some olive oil and then in water helps too. Before we went to Belize in February we up’t the dose to 3 times daily and took it also with us, no stomach problems, no infections, nothing. This is one of my fav natural remedies :))

I will try it in a nebulizer though especially for those dry and cold winter months…

TREE OF LIFE – FYI

FROM WEBSITEs RE: GSE

Does Grapefruit Seed Extract damage the good intestinal flora? When taken in normal doses Grapefruit Seed Extract does not affect the friendly bacteria of the intestines.

From the book “The Authoritative Guide to Grapefruit Seed Extract” by Allan Sachs, D.C. C.C.N: “While massive doses of Grapefruit Seed Extract are likely to compromise beneficial flora such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium residing in the digestive and urogenital tracts, typically recommended doses of GSE do not appear to have this effect. Grapefruit Seed Extract may actually assist the growth of the beneficial bacteria by inhibiting pathogenic microbes which compete with the beneficial flora.”

From another book about Grapefruit Seed Extract called “The Healing Power of Grapefruit Seed” by Shalila Sharamon and Bodo J. Baginski: “Initial research indicates that grapefruit seed extract, taken in a normal dose, doesn’t touch the important Bifidobacteria and only insignificantly reduces the Lactobacilli, despite its inhibiting effect on harmful intestinal bacteria.”

FROM GSE ADVERTISEMENT: Preserves beneficial bacteria Our intestines contain huge numbers of bacteria which are essential for our health. For example, acidophilus bacteria produce an antibiotic against harmful bacteria. Treatment with chemical antibiotics usually destroys the natural intestinal bacteria, leaving the field open for harmful fungi and pathogens. Consequently, antibiotic therapy often results in fungal skin diseases and other harmful side effects.

Grapefruit seed extract destroys harmful micro-organisms, but hardly affects the beneficial bacteria, which thrive after the removal of unwanted yeasts and other pathogens. (Since intestinal bacteria are affected to some extent, however, especially by longer cures, it is recommended at the end of the treatment to take milk acid, yoghurt etc. which contain bifidus and lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria.)

This is just another reason I always recommend GSE. It is not an antibiotic in the pharmaceutical sense. Anytime I take antibiotics, I get a resulting oral yeast infection due to the death of beneficial bacteria, which I treat with GSE. For these reasons, I personally try GSE (homeopathy and then acupuncture) for any infection before I see a conventional doctor.

• Hi, Loorin:

I have the same problem as you. Have learned 3 things.

1. Discovered that my staph may have come from over-exposure to Triclosan. It is a pesticide that is included in many common household products. My research indicates that Triclosan may create Antibiotic resistant bacteria. Here is some info… http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/tricl… http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consu…

2. Some probiotic/acidopholus products may carry staph. Ejuva moflora is the only product I know that is certified not to carry staph or ecoli.

3. Antibiotics can turn a harmless form of staph into a Golden Staph, which can be deadly.

After reducing exposure to Triclosan, I have eliminated most of the staph. Now I only have one small bump and am using Powdered wheat grass to neutralize the area.

The wheat grass product I am using is a Raw Vegan product called Vibrant Health http://www.vibranthealth.us/gv.html

Good Luck!

• wow! i didnt know any of that sophie.. thank you so so much! i will look further into it. i have never seen ejuva moflora, but i am going to keep my eyes peeled for it, as i do take a number of probiotics..

• Loorin, I know how miserable this condition can be. You are willing to try new things, so I know you will find a solution soon! :) Forgot to mention getting rid of old linens. This is the best way to make sure this antibiotic resistant bacteria is not hanging around. Like changing your toothbrush when you have a cold… .

Please keep us informed as things progress.

• Loorin:

Just wanted to let you know there is hope!

I got rid of my last little nasty bump yesterday. It finally took Green Clay to draw it out. Was trying to kill it with Grape Seed oil, but the key is to draw it out. Also the troublesome form of staph is not Golden Staph as I mentioned before. It is MRSA which could be deadly. I doubt you have because you are raw and seem basically healthy.

Sounds like you may have the a harmless form of Golden Staph. Of course I am not sure. Here is a link from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulitis

If so this is good news because this is similar to the type I had. The Wheat Grass with Green Clay worked wonders.

• Hey guys! I am doing so much better. Still isn’t 100% clear but I went out of town this weekend and was stupid enough to leave my GSE at home. I recently moved into an apartment with a roommate that.. well. let’s say he is very into living a “SAD lifestyle” that includes lots of proctor & gamble products and eats off of paper plates.. He uses all sorts of products with triclosan.. Which I never even knew about.. Since I have always used all natural products in my past apartments.. I don’t wonder if that hasn’t helped keep my staph as active as it has been.. or even if it triggered it.. or what.. Anyway. I am just trying to do a lot of the cleaning myself with my own products and keeping my dishes far from his since he seems to have no desire to use the products I have bought even though i told him i was “allergic” to the triclosan ingredient in his.. god. annoying. however! DOING SO SO MUCH BETTER!! I really have renewed hope I will be all better soon.

LOORIN – I am so glad you are doing better and on your road to recovery. It is amazing how a few natural products and some knowledge is enough sometime.

I bought a second bottle of GSE to keep in my travel bag because I found found that it pays to always have it around.

• It’s so true! I had so many problems trying to find liquid GSE in Canada, but I just happened to luck out with the first place I walked into here in Brooklyn. And it was far cheaper than the tablets I had found. Oil of Oregano and GSE are going to be my 2 staples everywhere I go now. I will keep you guys updated on progress! Thank you all so much!

• Loorin:

Have you tried Colloidal Silver? This got me back to normal. Look for 30 ppm.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Ditto Meditating on the GSE. I used it on my daughter’s staph infection quite successfully. Of course, i hope you have had a culture and have ruled out MRSA. Keep that covered, loorin. On candida and GSE-sometimes a single 10 drop dose taken in water can eliminate my sugar cravings (of course the stuff tastes sooooo nasty it would eliminate cravings for anything). :) I also use it weekly to wipe down my wood cutting boards.

• i didnt actually have a culture done, but if it comes back i think i shall. GSE and eliminating triclosan seems to have done the trick, everyone! I am just waiting for my gross scarred up skin to heal. It is.. very slowly but it’s getting there. Thank you all so much for your insight! I really appreciate it!!

• TURMERIC!!!! Saved me from three staph infections in Hawaii (it’s super scary there—mostly antibiotic resistant). I kept asking the locals there how to heal it—they said it came with the tourists & hippies, but that turmeric worked for that kind of infection… & sure enough! Anti-inflamitory, healing and toning to all the internal systems… worth the golden hue it dyes your mouth if you eat it fresh (chew with your back teeth)—If you’re buying it fresh, look for the fat, plump, smaller pieces, that don’t look dried out… the older the pieces, the less sweet they are. Now we use it regularly in my family, it’s good for any kind of infection/virus. Just keep the area clean, eat ZERO sugar, make all fats that you eat spicy, and eat as much fresh, dried or capsuled turmeric as you can stand! Turmeric for president!

• lavender essential oil on the area of infection will prevent scarring. i know it's a little late but it'll still help.

• I'm interested in the fasting because I think I've got staph too! How long did you go without sugar, fruit, bread??