Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How Can I Get Out of Bed!

DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Since I have been raw (18 months now) I have noticed how sleep affects my day.

I now wake up around 5 – 6 hours after I fall asleep. If I get out of bed I feel fantastic throughout the whole day.

However! I struggle so much with getting out of bed and nearly always fall back asleep. This means I get 8 – 10 hours sleep and I feel groggy, fuzzy and generally rotten for the whole day.

I’ve tried lots of ways to stay awake and get out of bed but nothing works.

Does anyone have any good tips or advice?

Thank you x

Comments

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

I wonder if you could sustain 5-6 hours of sleep everyday, assuming you get yourself out of bed…do you think it would catch up with you? And that you can’t get out of bed because you actually do need more sleep? If you sleep for 8 hours, but woke up after 5 and had to go back to sleep then you just had a crappy 8 hours sleep.

I think your goal shouldn’t be to get out of bed after 5-6 hours sleep because it’s not actually enough sleep…regardless of how much energy you have. Perhaps you have energy on those days because the day before you slept for 10 hours and are just overslept. And the days you can’t get out of bed, you just simply need more sleep.

What’s your cacao/caffiene, evening carb intake like? ...I always run into problems with waking up at 4,5,6am if I have even the least amount of caffiene/chocolate, and also if I eat a bunch of carbs before bed.

Not saying this is your solution, just turn it over and look at it, because that’s the difference for me!

Good luck!

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i used to have an enormous clanging bell alarm clock that i kept on top of the wardrobe at the other end of the room that practically gave me a heart attack each morning, believe me you got out of bed, and very very quickly too ;)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I have a “wake up naturally light alarm clock” 30 minutes before you want to get up it has a light that gets brighter and brighter, at the time you want to get up it also starts beeping, you can have it with out the beep if you want. helps a lot in cold dark winters in uk… But I also agree with bananna, if you have difficulty getting out of bed prob just your body wants more sleep. try for 8 hours every night every day and a lie in one day a week till you wake up naturally, this is what I do and works well for me :-)

http://www.lumie.com/shop/treatments/sleep-wake…

the cheep one is the one I bought

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

For me I find it has more to do with the light outside than what my body needs. When I’m eating well I can sleep 5-8 hours, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that when I wake up I get up, if I end up falling back into bed the next 1-2 hours tend to be not quality sleep and often with weird dreams that throw me off when I wake up. When I start having crazy dreams, I KNOW I am good on sleep…seems to be my bodies way of trying to wake me up!

I have more of an issue as the falls turns to winter and daylight gets less, I’m just VERY in tune with the natural light. Dr thought it was a Vit D thing, and it was for awhile but we got that under control and still I was having an issue getting up on workdays if it’s dark out. I tried the light on a timer thing, it doesn’t work for me(however the light SpringLeaf mentioned sounds good). For me, 3 different alarm clocks going off in 20 minutes of each other with the most annoying one across the room so I HAVE to get up to turn it off, this has been the most effective method.

Lol, OK so the MOST effective was when I lived at home and my mom would send the dog in my bedroom then close the door. Dog made sure I was up because it was the only way she could get out. Was very affective ;)

• dodododo Raw Newbie

springleaf, i used to have one of them, i had totally forgotten about it, i cant even remember what happened to it, in the evening it played the sound of rain and the light faded like a setting sun, and in the morning th “sun” rose and i awoke to it playing the sound of singing birds awwww, it was lovely, thanks for reminding me

Yours sounds cool dodo, mine doesn’t make any noises other than the beeper. My body has learnt to turn over in bed to face away from it, so not quite as effective as it was at the start… still better than a normal clock tho ;-)

Blue eyes, yes, I like the dog story, also gives the person sending the dog in the safety of being out of reach when you get woken up! Good for grumpy partners…

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

haha dodo, the clanger on the wardrobe story is funny.

I used to do the same type thing where my alarm clock was set ridiculously loud and I put it across the room. I HAD to get out of bed to turn it off.

• Hi Deb. before going raw i was a sleepaholic. even when i did, however, i noticed that there were still the days (down days) that i’d linger under the covers with my eyes open. the usual strategies apply when dealing with unenthusiastic mornings: exercise throughout week, proper diet, and on and on. i’ve found that two things really really help me and that involve intake:

1) drink plenty of water during the night and before sleep (i found that the reason why i would refuse to get up, besides depression, was that i was dehydrated and this perpetuates dehydration)

2) and this is important: don’t eat after 6:00 p.m. i realize that it is common knowledge to not eat during late hours but, i think, as a speedy culture like we is, we bend the rules and think that not eating at least an hour before bed will suffice. i’ve found that i have more rockin’ dreams, get up to urinate around 5:00 a.m. (an hour before i wake up, which is like a lil’ preamble before i’m out of the gates), and that my body feels more liquid and less rigid and swollen, than had i eaten heavy stuff (even a banana) near sleep-time, when i in fact do wake up.

to recap: lots of water and don’t eat after 6:00 p.m. you should try this for a week and see what happens.

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Thank you everyone for your replies.

My problem with sleep is that the part when I wake up and fall back into slumber is very addictive for me. Which means I stay in bed.

I do wake up fresh and alert every morning but choose to fall back to sleep which leads me to wake up a few hours later groggy and unmotivated. I read somewhere that this is to do with neurotransmitters, but I’m finding it difficult to locate further information on this.

I like the clanger on the wardrobe idea!

bomb_quiznos! I will follow your advice starting today. I drink around 1.5 litres – 2.0 litres of water a day so will up it.

Thank you again x

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I just put my alarm across the room (no wardrobe needed for me). Once I’m up I don’t get back in. I had a roommate though who did the same thing, but he would snooze for two hours straight. It was annoying when you wanted to sleep in that day. I never understood why he didn’t just set it for two hours later, he would have gotten better sleep.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

have you tried early morning exercise? once you get into the routine, you naturally wake up and are ready to get out of bed

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

My sleep apnea was very bad and untreated, leaving me in a perpetually sleep deprived state (it has since been treated) and I once got up and walked across the room to hit the snooze on my alarm clock every nine minutes for 11 hours without realizing I was doing it. So that trick doesn’t always work.

However, I think a less sleep deprived person might not have these issues.

• you could try this thing called ‘clocky’ it an alarm clock with wheels that when it goes off it runs away making you get up and chase it to shut it off. they have them on www.thinkgeek.com. theyre a cool toy.

Bubbaw6 my cats would go crazy over that alarm clock! Cool idea.

I didn’t eat anything after 19:00 yesterday. I was hungry at bedtime (midnight). I have to say that I felt more alert when I woke up and felt much lighter as the morning has continued.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Do you eat late at night? I find that when I do it is extra hard to get out of bed the next day.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Zoe, interesting you mention the eating late. I had trouble getting up this morning for some reason (rarely happens). I felt really groggy and laid back down for a few minutes. I was up making lunch for today and some cheese (on of your recipes actually). I of course was nibbling on things as I made it. I wonder if that eating had anything to do with it.

Zoe, I was eating my last meal at around 20:00 – 21:00. Bed at midnight.

I have experimented this week with not eating after 18:00 and I do wake up a lot easier the next day. On the one day I ate very late at night I felt rubbish the next day!

Thank you everyone for your advice.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

Bubbaw6, thanks for the link, i know where im doing all my xmas shopping this year now hehehe