Dead bugs = Dead Lettuce??

jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

Aloha Everyone!

So I go through lettuce like a rabbit with a serious case of the munchies:) Seriously. I buy 2-4 heads of organic romaine or leaf lettuce daily.

Anywho – from time to time (more often than not) I will find small insects within the leaves of the lettuce, especially as I get closer to the heart. Sometimes it’s one or two – sometimes it’s a deadbug carnival! I just rinse or brush them off and continue to contently munch away…always thinking “bugs exist in nature – of course they should be in my organic food!” But just today I was like, “wait…why would the bugs be dead in my organic produce?” I mean, unless it was sprayed or irradiated or something, right??

any thoughts?? similar experiences?

luv, bewildered bunny

Comments

• Hi JR, bugs/insects have a relatively short life span, sometimes a few days. So if they get caught in your lettuce and bagged up, shipped out, etc., they die on route to your kitchen table. I think that’s the simple answer, someone else may know better than I.

But do you have reason to believe that your organic market is not selling truly organic produce?

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

Thanks Ceasarea! Now that I think about it – that makes total sense (the short life span).

I buy my greens from ‘The Fresh Market’, which is not soley organic. Many times there is no sticker or plu# on the produce, just a sign saying “organic”...so who knows really :P

i believe I will happily munch on and stick with the notion that my little bug friends died a pesticide free death….

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I believe Ceasarea is right :). I have picked lettuce from my mom’s garden, and found dead buggies in the middle~ and we never used any pesticides, etc.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Yeah, same here chicory. In fact, the only live buggies I ever saw on my moms(or my) lettuce were little worms occasionally