Prefrozen fruit are RAW

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I contacted a popular brand of frozen products: Cascadian Farm. They had the following response regarding their frozen produce:

Dear *:

Thank you for contacting Small Planet Foods with your inquiry. After harvest, the vegetables are cleaned washed, inspected and blanched then frozen. Blanching is done by heating the vegetables quickly in very hot water. The blanching process kills harmful bacteria and deactivates certain enzymes in the vegetables so that the product will maintain its freshness.

However, Cascadian Farm blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries are not heated during processing.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if we can help you again.

Sincerely,

Consumer Services

Comments

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

Wow, thanks for posting this information. At least there is no more guessing which ones are blanched and which ones are not. Thanks, Winona.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

They are organic too, which is good. It sure will be helpful in the winter months!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Used to buy from them all the time. Now mainly I don’t because I haven’t been using much frozen fruit. That’s good info.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

And on the same notion, I talked today to the company which makes the Agava I buy and they said they heat their Agava in vacuum and in vacuum the boiling temp is 38c, so they only need to heat it at 35c, also read a thread in some other forum of a woman who called lots of Agava manufactures and she listed each brand and at what temp they heat their agava at, some is raw and some isn’t,

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Good to know about the fruit. I mostly picked berries from my Aunts berry farm which is organic so I haven’t really bought many yet but I’ll look for that brand!