Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dr. Cow Cheese

Comments

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Made some last night, about half a cup of Macademia nuts, 2 cups of water and 2 caps of acidophilous left it in the fridge, now about 12hours later nothing happend yet, do I need to cover it to make it air tight or leave it open? i left it open.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hmm that’s weird. Try blending an eighth of a cup of soaked macadamia nuts with half a cup of water and add that to the macadamia milk. Adding more pulp usually fixes that problem because the straining can take out all the content. Then leave it in another 12 hours and see what happens.

Now I’m confused, wasn’t i straining it so I wouldn’t have the pulp? only the “milk”?

• I bought the hard aged cashew cheese as well and one slice and i fell in love. This cheese is so incredible. I have been vegan for 8 years now and have never had a vegan cheese this amazing, even better that it is RAW! I would even consider moving to New York to be able to get my little hands on this cheese withouth the $12 shipping costs. A definite must try!

• ras-saadon, just cover it with a clean cloth and leave it on top of something, I usually leave it on my dehydrator when it’s on. Ferments pretty fast.

By the way, has anyone ever tried to add Irish moss to cheese for consistency?

Hmm I left it in the fridge :P that might be why it wasn’t going so well, but just so I know for next time, do I strain and leave the pulp out and get jsut the milk or use everything?

I left mine in the fridge, guys, it does gain some level of undesirable bacteria if you leave it out. It does much better in the fridge.

ras saadon,sorry to confuse you. I realized I had written to strain it when I remembered I actually didn’t strain it. Sorry about that, my mind was screwed up. To be clear, don’t strain it. If you do try it again I look forward to hearing how it goes.

I’ve been letting mine ferment in the fridge for 1 week. It is incredibly tangy and cheesy! Like Dr Cows.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Well, my bf and I got our hands on three kinds of the Dr. Cow. They have it at Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco and we went up there for something so we had to stop in and get some. They had the Aged Cashew, Aged Cashew with Hemp Seeds and Aged Mac.

They are super tiny – sort of look like they were molded in little cupcake pans.

The Mac and Cashew ones were not really that unique tasting. I had on regular (cooked) crackers since I had no raw ones around. My bf couldn’t even eat the cashew ones as he said they were way too salty for him. I have a super high tolerance for salt so I didn’t notice the salt. The mac one wasn’t salty for him but it really wasn’t much different from what I might make.

Being aged three months, I was expecting a sharper taste but it really wasn’t. For me, I liked the Cashew with hemp seeds the best – it had a more distinctive taste and was definately tangier than the other too. I do like the texture – it is dry and soft like a cheese spread – could maybe pass for a semi-hard cheese.

Well, at least, I will get to eat the rest of it. :)

I am not sure if the cheeses are supposed to mimic certain dairy cheeses. I honestly couldn’t tell – they were pretty mild.

I would be interested in trying the others because I am curious but I would probably make my own since the taste really wasn’t anything too spectacular. I really expected a more tangy cheese. Mine are way tangier than this.

Sorry I haven’t gotten around to posting the cheese tips yet. I have to put them on my website first. I’ll try to get to it this weekend.

springfairy – yes, the irish moss works great to make your cheese thicker but it can make it a bit gel like (it would be great for cheese sauce or mayos etc) so if you want to get your cheeze less watery and thick use a nut milke bag to squeeze out the extra water before you set your cheese out to ferment.

Oh, btw, in order for the cheezes to ferment you have to leave them out until they are of the desired taste. I put my fermented stuff on top of the frig with the lid on the container loose (don’t seal it shut or your stuff will explode!). It needs warmth to ferment. If you live in warm area, it will be quicker. Once it is tangy then you can put in in the frig to ferment further. If you leave it out too long than you can start growing molds on it (that can happen in the frig too so keep checking on your cheeses and if you get fuzz – scape it off and mix the cheese up again.)

Had mine out overnight with a cloth above.. it droped in and soaked all the liquid and I was lft only with the pulp, tried to squeeze out whatever I could, but still cant say I saw or tasted any difference.. :((

• I have not tried making nut cheese but after hearing so many of you rave about it I’m going for it. LOL

I liked the idea of trying Irish Moss in some of my cheese too, I just adore Irish Moss and wonder why it’s not use more for making things stick together. It’s a wonderful food. You don’t have to cook it either just let it soak.

queenfluff I look forward to your post on the aged cheese, thank you thank you for posting such great information.

ras saadon, I replied and told you to keep the pulp.

queenfluff, I thought the plain cashew one tasted really tangy! But I made an even tangier one in the fridge (didn’t leave it out) with macadamia nuts. What did the hemp taste like? Sounds awesome! But I agree I can make a better one myself. They were tiny, weren’t they! I thought I was getting big wheels but they were tiny. I think I will soak some cashews today and start making my own cashew aged cheese. I was able to ferment mine in the fridge with acidophilous. Mine got more bad bacteria when I left it out. Cheese is always aged in cold temperatures, so I figured mine would too. It did, I made the tangiest macadamia cheese ever! It sat in the fridge for several days.

I will post on the aged cheese too. I am going to shoot for an aged cashew cheese.

RawKidChef yea I know, but I meant in the last post that I left the bowl with the milk(with pulp) outside with a cloth on top and the cloth fell inside and soaked up all the liquid, but today I started seeing a change! a layer is starting to form on top and its starting to get some smell, I’ll keep you posted!

Great! You’re using acidophilous right? I’m not sure how it comes out when it’s not refrigerated but I definitely look forward to hear! :)

My bf said that just using the acidophilious will not get it really tangy (maybe that is why it is aged for three months). when I do my ferment things I use Power Dophilius – it is a capsule from Country Life and it has the acidophilious in it but other strains of probiotic also. I use one of those and I have super tang the next day. I have never used just acidophilious before so I am not sure about how they turn out. But if you really want to get a fast tang I highly recommened the Power Dophilius – just use one capsule and you are set. I make my Sour Cream and Cream Cheese with it and I swear it only takes overnight and it very tangy. I just blend my nuts with a little water. I don’t just use the pulp but I don’t see why it would make a difference. Could it be you squeezed out all the acidophilous?

RawKidChef – The hemp seed one just had a sharper flavor in my opinoin. I am not sure which dairy cheese to compare it too. I had just a little bit on crackers (it is so expensive I want to make it last) but I have to taste it again and let you know. I get the rest to myself because the bf said it was way to salty for him – he couldn’t even finish his cracker – being a longtime raw cheeze maker, he said he was pretty disappointed in the Dr. Cows – but than again, he makes some weird cheezes so they were probably pretty basic to him.

Haha yea I probably could do a better job at mine than dr. cwo considering it’s so expensive. I had added the acidophilious after straining but the milk experiment was a whole separate thing. I have lots of cashews on hand so I just need to get more cheescloth and then I can try this out. I’m running out of acidophilous, maybe I’ll try the Power Dophilius!

Woho it worked hehe, tasted it today and it tasted exactly like cheese(no idea how that type is called in english though) but it was creamy and a bit sour(in a good way) but now I have a problem, I have no way to eat it! don’t have crackers or bread, you think it could go for a salad dressing? and anyone have any idea would it take for it to become really solid? I used to love those solid cheese’s with that extra crusty outer layer, and another thing, how long can it stay outside? is there a limit at which I want to store it at the fridge? thanks!

And yea I was using 2 caps of acidophiles.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Why not spread it on the inside of a stalk of celery, or put a spoonful in a lettuce leaf, along with anything else you might put in a cheese sandwich (diced tomatoes, onions, cucumber), then wrap it up like a stuffed vine leaf and take a bite or pop it in your mouth? I’ve found that nut cheezes and pates on dehydrated crackers feels too heavy for me. Instead, I make mine a bit thinner, more like thick hummus, then use carrot, cucumber or celery sticks to dig bits out of the container. Yum! If I’m really lazy, I just take a spoon to the container and gobble up a few bites. No flatbreads or crackers necessary!

Dude just eat it with a spoon, it’s so good. I am working on making a hard aged cashew cheese, so the recipe will be out in a few weeks if I do it successfully. I;m pretty confident I can do it.

• Rawkidchef, if you don’t start selling cheese, we’re going to come raid your house! :p

Haha well I think later when I’m older I’d be willing to ship some big cheap wheels of hard aged cheese and maybe some raw crackers to go with…!!!!

• Yes, enjoy your youth, PLEASE!!! :D

I ate more Dr. Cows today. I took from the middle of the wheel and put more on. The stuff on it the middle tastes tangier – maybe mine were drying on the outside.

Ok, the mac one reminds me of munster cheese – anyone remember Munster? my mom used to buy it all the time – it is a white cheese with a yelllow “skin”.

The cashew is probably closest to a mild/medium cheddar.

The cashew with hemp seeds is like a sharp cheddar.

That is the best I can do with my limited memory of what real dairy cheese tastes like. :)

I think a hemp seed aged cheese would be the best.

Good description. I’ve had this amazing raw Sheep’s Milk Idiazabal cheese, it is like so good. I want to try to mimic that.

• raw kid chef: when you are satisfied with your favorite cheese recipe, can you post it?

anyone ever tried blending nuts with coconut water rather than regular water? seems like that would make it super tangy bc of the fermenting sugar. how about adding a few enzyme capsules too? i wanna try blending a small clove of garlic into a cheese too.

Yes, dreambrother, I am in the process of aging my cashew cheese. I will give it two more weeks.

Hmm, interesting idea about the coconut water, but I have blended the coconut meat with the coconut water and cheesed that. It spoils more easily but it’s something to experiment with. That enzyme idea sounds really good too. I might try that sometime.

• I finally got the Dr. Cow hempseed cheese and really like it. I was suprised by the cheesy smell, but love it as a snack on Mexican flax crackers. Yum.

• For the people who are making their own at home, how do you thicken the cheese, like a hard one, like the Dr. Cow? Or are you leaving it softer/watery?

Hey Superfood, it turns out you can’t really make a hard aged nut cheese, so it is more spreadable like cream cheese. The Dr. Cow is similar but it’s just a lot firmer, more like Brie. If you aged it for ages under some pretty specific conditions you probably could achieve that hard cheese consistency, which would be great!

• Thanks….as long as it tastes good, I don’t too much care. I am not addicted to cheese (been vegan for 6 years and understand human anatomy and bodily needs well enough to know we should have NEVER had dairy cheese in the first place!), so I just eat it because I like it.