Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dr. Cow Cheese

13»

Comments

• beanbean Raw Newbie

Omigosh! I just had an epiphany! For those of you who want your aged cheese to be hard… ... why not dehydrate it a bit? Eh? Eh? is pumped Mayhap a possibility?

• I don’t think applying low heat to a bacterial culture is a good idea, is it?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Well, bean, that’s a very good idea! I recently made a macadamia cheese which I let sit only for 5 or 6 hours in bacterial cultures, and then dehydrated it overnight. As I didn’t cheese it long it just tasted like a macadamia cookie but when I salted it it was really good. So, Superfood, I think it is okay, but you’re probably right that if you culture nut cheese for 24 hours or more and then dehydrate it it could spoil.

• Cool, thanks for posting your experience! I might try this soon. Right now, all I have time for is green smoothies, busy workweek!

Sure, I’m pretty busy myself! Macadamia cheese seems to really rock.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hey RawKidChef, were you able to succesfully **age** your fermented nut cheeses?? Just wondering b/c I'd like to try aging some myself. I've had great sucess with the 24 hr fermented nut cheeses and learned some great tips in a recent class...but now I'd like to take things to the next level and start aging different kinds of nut cheese :-)

Anyone else out there make aged nut cheeses?

Anyone ever hear from Queenfluff? She and her boyfriend were making aged nut cheeses

Joyce :-)

Helloooooo :-)

Still hoping RawKidChef is is around today

Hey :) sorry bout that, I've been a bit busy today. I haven't actually gone through with the aged nut cheeses, mainly just because of the lack of time.I think it's a great idea though, haven't seen queenfluff around her in ages. Probably you could achieve a great cheese by aging in in a lightly wrapping with probiotics in the fridge and keeping it in there for a few months. I've heard that turning it over is important every now and then. it would certainly be cool to try.

Hi RawKidChef, thanks for your reply. I was reading a little about making homemade dairy cheese so I could apply some of the same principles to nut cheeses. And many do get aged in the fridge for a few weeks. I keep everyone posted if I can do it successfully!

Cheers

Joyce :-)