yet another soaked seeds ???

sorry I’m new at this soaking/sprouting thing so bare with me….i have read through the other nut/seed post but did not find the answers to my questions.

1. The other day I soaked my sunflower seeds to use them in a recipe (it did not call for sprouted, it called for ground seeds). I was laying the seeds out to dry and before I knew it they were sprouting. Do you have to dehydrate all soaked nuts and seeds to avoid this?

2. How do you store your soaked seeds and how long are they good for?

3. When grinding seeds can you use a Vitamix blender, or must you have a coffee grinder?

thank you so much!

Comments

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Well, I am new to this too.

I only soak what I need and I haven’t dehydrated any after soaking, just add to the soup or salad or smoothie.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use your blender to grind seeds if it works, it works.

Good luck, I am sure you will get better answers than this one…

I sprouted peanuts this week. They just started getting tails today and they taste pretty good. I am just sort of experimenting with different seeds and grains, I haven’t made any recipes with them yet.

• Thanx ungrateful :) ...your comments brought me to another question

4. in order to grind soaked seeds, do they need to be dried?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I soaked some sunflower seeds today to use tomorrow in a seed cheeze. It’s evening now and they are darkening substantially. Some look almost brown. Is this normal? I’m worried that they might be bad, but they smell fine and certainly tasted fine out of the bag. They are organic and raw and should be fresh. I don’t know whether to go ahead and make the cheeze tomorrow despite the colour, or throw out the batch and try again. In the past, I haven’t been soaking anything before making cheezes and pates, but they never get really smooth, so I thought I’d try soaking this time. I also understand that some of the oils are soaked out of nuts and seeds, which is a good thing.

• were some of the seeds floating in the water? I heard that means they are rancid and you should get rid of those ones, not sure if that has anything to do with the color tho.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I just soak sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for about 4-5 hours. Then I use or sprout them. They should not be dark after soaking. Tho they may get just a speck or two of brown after sprouting.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I found this on: http://chetday.com/howtosproutsunflowerseeds.htm. “Stored sunflower seeds will turn a motley brown color. They are not spoiled when they are discolored. They have just oxidized. (If you don’t mind the color, you can leave in the refrigerator one more day to fully develop little tails. If you want the color fresh, then eat them within about 6 hours.”

I think what happened with mine is that I used the really cold water from my distilled water cooler, rather than 60-70 degree-Fahrenheit, which I believe is ideal. I should have warmed the water a bit, I guess. I can’t use tap because I am at my cottage and the water comes straight out of the lake, which is home to a lot of motorboats and personal watercraft.

Anyway, I made the seed cheeze tonight, but added some pine nuts to get the right thickness (necessary after adding onion, garlic, orange bell pepper and the juice of a lemon). It tastes pretty good, but next time I’ll use the right water temp so that the seeds are a bit less nasty looking.

• Say you soak your seeds/nuts but you want to store them for later use…do you need to dehydrate them 1st?

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I have been thinking about this a lot since you asked the question. I have been trying to soak and sprout all the seeds I can find around here and have dedicated a “sprouting cabinet”, lol.

I’m reading the information on the sprout people’s site: http://www.sproutpeople.com/grow/soak.html

and really can’t find the answer, so I will guess.

They say to store sprouts, dry them and keep them in the fridge up to 6-7 days. Never store wet sprouts. I think the same would apply to soaked seeds.

Here is a thread I found somewhere:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2947

They mention freezing.

I hope this was helpful!

• Hey, I prefer not to store soaked seeds, prefer to plan when I will need them. the raw lifestyle seems to involve an element of planning! sometimes I will drain the soaked seeds and place them in an airtight container in the fridge, only for a few hours or so, hope this is helpful

• When you need to grind your seeds/nuts up do you recommend drying them before use or can you just grind them right out of the water?

• if anyone else is reading this post :) I have found out from another forum, that….

if you grind your nuts/seeds right after soaking and you are using them in a recipe that requires the ingredients to stick to together then your bread/dough/crust may crumble apart easier….it is best if your nuts/seeds are dried 1st because the extra water is what causes it not to stay together.

I have heard on another site that you can leave your soaked nuts in their soak water for up to a week in the fridge. If you use nuts/seeds each morning for milks this would work well…but i would like to hear if this works well for other people as well???