Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone here dry brush twice a day or more?

I like to (when I remember) to dry brush once a day, in the morning. Any of you do more than that and what do you feel the results are?

Comments

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I too am only at one brushing a day, also in the morning.

I have stopped using soap and shampoo and my skin is WONDERFUL. Soft, smooth, no flaking, no ashy shins or elbows. I use coconut oil on hands and feet and around my eyes. That is my only cosmetic (besides Tom’s calendula stick deodorant).

I would recommend ditching soaps, shampoos and lotions to anyone. I had better skin the first day I stopped using soaps.

My hair took longer to get normal (about 6 weeks) but it was definitely worth the wait. I use 2tbs baking soda in a quart of water to wash my hair once a month or so and just rinse with warm water and massage 4-7 days a week. Soft, shiny hair, not greasy, not dry.

Balanced.

And free from the toxic, consumer oriented cosmetics industry.

• ungrateful -

I have extremely sensitive skin. Everytime I get my skin wet (wash hands, shower, etc.) I have to put lotion on immediately, otherwise when my skin drys, it starts to hurt and everything I touch burns my skin. What would you recommend instead of lotion? I’ve used coconut oil after I shower, but I can’t carry a tub around of oil in my purse to use as hand lotion after every time I was my hands…??

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

I’m curious, where do you get the idea that dry brushing your skin is a good thing to do, and how does it work? I’ve just never heard of it. Thanks.

• DRY SKIN BRUSHING

It is WELL known that the Skin is the LARGEST Organ in the Body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the Body’s Detoxification each day, also making it, one of the most IMPORTANT Elimination Organs! The Skin is also known as the “3rd” Kidneys and the Lungs are known as the “2nd” Kidneys. TOXICITY can gather beneath the Skin’s Surface from such COMMON Influences such as IMPROPER pH levels in Body Soaps, Skin Creams and Anti-Perspirants, plus Synthetic Fibers worn NEXT to the Skin with ANY of them contributing to a variety of Skin Problems and Conditions.

When you do Skin Brushing, you HELP your Lymph System to CLEAN itself of the TOXINS, that COLLECT in the Lymph Glands. You use a Simple Technique to IMPROVE the Surface Circulation on the Skin and KEEP the Pores of the Skin OPEN, encouraging your Body’s Discharge of Metabolic Wastes, and resulting in an IMPROVED ability to COMBAT Bacteria, plus HELPING your Skin to look and feel HEALTHIER and MORE RESILIENT! Skin Brushing is a PERFECT Treatment for SELF-HELP Enthusiasts.

Benefits:

TIGHTENS Skin.

HELPS Digestion.

REMOVES Cellulite.

STIMULATES Circulation.

INCREASES Cell Renewal.

CLEANS Lymphatic System.

REMOVES Dead Skin Layers.

STRENGTHENS Immune System.

IMPROVES Exchange between Cells.

STIMULATES the Glands, thus helping ALL of the Body Systems to perform at PEAK EFFICIENCY!

How To Do Skin Brushing:

Buy a NATURAL, NOT synthetic, bristle brush, since it does NOT SCRATCH the surface of your skin.

Buy a brush with a LONG handle, so that you’re ABLE to get to the areas of your body, that are NOT EASY to reach, when doing your own Skin Brushing.

Skin Brush, before showering or bathing, at least ONCE per day, and TWICE, if possible. Do NOT wet your skin, since it will NOT have the SAME Effect, because this stretches your skin.

Do LIGHTER Strokes over and around your breasts, but do NOT brush the nipples.

Brush each part of your Body several times VIGOROUSLY, COMPLETELY brushing your WHOLE body.

Brush the soles of your feet FIRST, because the nerve endings there affect your WHOLE body, next Brush your ankles, calves, and thighs, then brush across your stomach and your buttocks and lastly brush your hands to your arms.

ALWAYS skin brush towards the heart.

Do circular counter-clockwise strokes on your abdomen.

Take a WARM bath or shower, which should always be followed by a COOL rinse at the end to INVIGORATE blood circulation and STIMULATE surface warmth.

Wash your brush every few weeks in water and allow it DRY.

Revised 11/26/07

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

I dry brush once a day, every evening before my shower, and have done for nearly 2 years. My skin is in a lovely condition. Very soft and smooth, no dry patches, and my circulation has definitely improved. I didn’t brush for one week at the end of September, and with the cold weather starting, my skin got quite dry. I always used to suffer from dry skin in cold weather until I started dry brushing.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

When I type I LIKE to put certain WORDS in all CAPS. I like PICK random WORDS, I think IT improves the IMPACT of my POST.

Really though, I think I am going to start dry brushing.

COTTAGE

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

::GRIN:: slosh-uh i love your posts

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

How can a bristle brush not scratch your skin?! In theory it sounds nice, but when I think of putting a brush to my already super-sensitive skin I can’t help but bristle a bit (heh-heh, no pun intended). Are we talking hairbrush kind of bristle brush?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

LovefoodLaughter, it does scratch the skin. That’s how it loosens dead skin. There are several types of brushes for this, but you can use your shower brush, too. The idea is to loosen dead skin, then rinse it away in the shower. The dead skin carries away dirt and older body oils.

I think there is a bit too much of the “mystical” attached to dry-brushing. It’s just a nice, healthy, and safe method to clean oneself.

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

The first few times I practised skin brushing my skin was sensitive to it, so I used very light brush strokes. I can press harder now, which feels very stimulating and doesn’t hurt.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I like dry brushing, it helps wake me up a bit :).... i originally started doing it to help circulation in my legs, but I always forget to do it, so don’t know how effective it has been to me lol

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

eloisaweesa: i guess that just goes to show that what works for one person doesn’t work for all, eh?

If you have a lotion that you like and that doesn’t contain any toxins, I would say go ahead and use it if it works for you.

I put my coconut oil in a smaller jar for carrying around in my purse. I have a jar in my drawer at work and two at home, one for eating purposes and one for cosmetic.

Lovefoodlaughter: I use a natural bristle bath brush with a long handle. Like cheerydeb says, it’s sensitive at first, do it lightly and it gets to feeling really good as your skin gets used to it.

After you are done it feels WONDERFUL, tingly and warm like you just got done exercising.

• dogsuponhotcatsdogsuponhotcats Raw Newbie

Twice a day? Or more?? My skin would be so raw (sorry), if not all scraped off, lol. When I do it, I do it only before I hop into the shower in the morning. To be honest, it doesn’t really do much for me. I think it just “improves circulation” because you’re lightly scraping yourself, and of course, it turns red which means blood is flowing there. Fingernails would do the same thing. But, when I read the testimonials here, I think I’m just doing it wrong.

PS. How do you scrub yourself AT the heart area, and to the direct right of the heart area? Up through your neck? Circular motions? Which direction?

• DreaDrea Raw Master

This is the first time i’ve heard of this. What type of brush do I use to try this out? How many times a day do I start? Where can I find this type of brush?