Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Transitioning my SAD Cat to Raw

2»

Comments

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

This is so interesting. Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to go ahead and feed them at least 50% whole prey, some live mice, and the rest that ground raw frozen stuff. I couldn’t bring myself to feed them canned or dry food. Or even all-frozen food. I wouldn’t be happy on all-frozen food so I can’t imagine they would be. I don’t know why I was hesitant to demand that their adopters feed them raw too; I will do just that. Nobody likes large vet bills.

On another note, I wonder if cats really are “100%” true carnivores, or if such an animal even exists? While I was eating grapes and doing my anthropology reading this morning, Both kittens came and stole and munched down a few grapes, then the previously non-raw kitten chewed on the grape vine for a good 7 minutes. This didn’t look like mere infantile curiosity, they seemed really into the grapes. Hmm…

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I’ve been trying to update a picture of Blueberry, in my profile photo. As soon as that problem is fixed you can see a picture of her too. She is such a frisky little brat, you wouldn’t believe how cute and childish she can be. haha

• This rawfedcats.org website is great! I have never been able to get Bronson to even look at canned food so I guess getting him interested in that is the first step.. The second is convincing my room mate that feeding his own kitten raw is a good idea.. Sigh. That’s a battle I am not looking forward to.. The kitten already wants to eat EVERYTHiNG from onions to orange juice to well.. you get the idea.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Kait,

You should join the rawfeeding yahoo group. It’s a huge group and it’s very useful. There are also some subgroups like rawcat and rawchat. I’m sure you’ll find all the info you need.

Oh, and here’s how I feed my cats…

I go shopping at Costco once a month and buy all their food (~$120 for 3 cats, 1 med dog). I spend a couple hours in the kitchen putting it all into plastic containers. Each evening, I pull out one container for the cats and one for the dog and put it in a bowl of water to bring to room temp. In the morning, I put the cat’s food on plates and the dog eats outside. It works really well! :)

By the way, my cat’s eat about 2% of their body weight a day…so a few ounces each. The same with my dog so she gets about a pound. I feed about 80/10/10, which is 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs. The only meats they eat are chicken, pork, beef, lamb and fish. That’s all I can get my hands on without paying a fortune.

Good luck…cat’s hate change, Swayze :)

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

warning: Nature’s Variety brand of raw “organic” cat/dog food (bought frozen) contains cow’s milk!!

now why on earth did they do that??! did they figure a hypothetical “natural” cat would go around suckling cows?

Beware of this innocent-looking package: https://www.onthespotdelivery.com/p-5815-nature…