Raw potato chips: Does anyone have experience?

Can anyone tell me how to keep my potato chips from turning funny colors? I made some garlic chips today in the dehydrator and they were tasty but most of them turned brown and the ones that did not were white with brown edges. I dehydrated them on 125 degrees and sliced as thin as I could. I assume that lemon juice might work but I don’t want to add lemon juice to my garlic chips. Thanks in advance for any advice you could possibly give.

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I think any form of citric acid works I know that rawvegansource.com sells this natural stuff you mix with h20 and dip in and it doesnt make it lemony but I have never used it I just dip it in lemon h20 or whatever citrus you want mixed with h20. I also think excalibur sells something but I dont know if it is natural.

Peace and good luck

• thanks vegan2raw! I have some citric acid powder. I was just concerned aout the flavor changing.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I usually use one squeezed fruit to a big bowl of h20 so I think if you dilute it a lot it wont leave flavoring but it might not work a well on protecting color but just play around with the measurements till you find what you like!

Your welcome!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

If you use the lemon juice sparingly enough, it probably won’t affect the flavour. I use it on cut apples and pears all the time…I toss them in a ziploc back, and just add a squirt of lemon, and toss everything around in the bag to coat. Doesn’t seem to change the flavour at all.

• thanks vegan2raw and Branwyn32. I think I’ll try this again with the lemon and if it makes then sour, I’ll just eat them as salt and vinegar chips!

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i dont know about raw potato chips but you can make some crumble in your mouth lays kale chips :)

• I made some potato chips for the first time the other day, and I soaked them first in a weak solution of ACV and water, then dried them off, sprinkled them with some straight ACV, olive oil, and salt. They dried up beautifully, got nice and crisp and looked just like the unhealthy kind, and they didn’t, to my palate, taste at all like vinegar. They didn’t taste great to me, though; something about them just wasn’t doing it for me. And I never was a chip eater – I was just looking for a way to stave off my killer potato cravings, and these didn’t do it. Like rawmamanibbles, if I want crunch I go for kale chips or “green popcorn.”

• Holy guacamole…the first time I made dehydrated chips, they tasted really good because I added garlic, olive oil and salt. But they could have been better if were super crispy. I guess I need a potato slicer to make them thinner. But I think that if you season them well you may like them more.

Thank you rawmamanibbles…I never thought to use ACV!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

aren’t raw potatoes toxic?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I thought so too. I used to sample raw potato when my mom was prepping them (as a kid), but she’d go berserk and tell me I’d get sick. I never did, but I never ate more than a nibble or two.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Raw potatoes are actually known to have cleansing properties. I have made some raw potato chips that come eerily close to the real thing, simply by slicing them very fine in ribbons using a spiralizer (it’s really important to get them thin because otherwise they won’t come out crispy), and soaked the slices in raw red wine vinegar (use ACV if you want) for a few hours. This is also important as it removes the starches from the potato. The vinegar also adds a lot of flavor to taste just like Salt and Vinegar Chips. Once they’re soaked, drain off the vinegar (you can save it for another batch), and toss in a little olive oil and your desired amount of sea salt or Himalayan salt. Spread the slices on teflex sheets and dry for 15 hours (more or less depending on how thin you cut them) till crispy. They usually don’t come out completely crispy (slightly chewy) but they are still darn good.

• Do you dilute the vinegar RawKidChef?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

RawKidChef, why don’t you post this as a recipe? It would be great to see a photo of your finished product.

Hi Kendra, no, you don’t need to dilute the vinegar. You may if you choose to though. 1sweetpea, I sure could post this as a recipe! Good idea. I will pick some potatoes up at the store and make it in the next week, or less. :)

• yayyy! RawKidChef! I can’t wait to see the finished product!

Yes, they will be out!