dehydrating seeds

how long do you dry them for, do different seeds have different amounts of time, how do you know they are done?

sunflower?

flax?

thanks, Stacey

Comments

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I’ve never dehydrated seeds ‘on their own’, as they contain very little water anyway (5%?) and there’d be no point in dehydrating them.

Seeds are normally only dehydrated if they’ve been mixed with liquid in the first place, eg flax is mixed with water (and other ingredients) to get it all ‘gloopy’, and it’s THEN dehydrated to form a flax cracker.

OR…do you mean collecting seeds direct from the sunflowers then drying them? If so, I’d guess they’d be dry in a few hours.

• i should have mentioned, dehydrated after they have been soaked.

• ok im confused. I am trying to make the onion bread and I have learned the following from several different posts and forums….(i’m trying to make the onion bread, I keep having problems with it crumbling apart into little pcs)

1. soak seeds 2. dehydrate them 3. grind them to make batter (if you use the seeds straight after soaked they will contain to much water and the batter won’t stay together while dehydrating

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Sunflower seeds are so light that I wouldn’t personally soak-then-dehydrate (I’d reserve this perhaps for heavier foods like almonds/hazel-nuts).

Flax – again, wouldn’t do this, except in the context of making flax crackers.

Sorry if not being much help here. Will be interesting to see what others say.

• you in in bad need of a recipe for this. crackers are the easiet things to make. after i have soaked whole flax seed i put them in the food processor with enough water to make a doughy batter….not wet not too dry.. and then wizzed them up with seasonings and whatever else i wanted to flavor them with….spread it all out on the dehydrator sheet and just dehydrate till they dont feel sticky on one side …flip and keep dehydrating till they are done to your liking. if you want them crispy just keep going till they are. this not rocket science. just use your fingers on them in the dehydrator to see when they are done to your liking. you can use a pizza wheel to cut them up into crackers when you flip them over. let them cool all the way before you store them in an airtight container in the fridge.

get yourself a recipe from some raw site. there must be loads on this one. this is not hard to do.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I don’t dehydrate flax seeds. to gooy. Guess the only seeds I do dry separately from other ingredients is buckwheat. Soak. Then let them get a baby sprout. Dehydrate until crunchy. Dont let the sprout turn brown. I think Quinwa could also be dehydrated this way.

About to much water, I dont know, as I wet my hands to spread the dough. Which makes the top of the dough wet. soooo

• i did soak the sunflower seeds to activate the enzymes, then I dehydrated them for a little while. I should have done it longer because they did not grind up that well since they still had a little water in them… and I did soak the flax too (oops) ended up having to make flax crackers from that batch and get new dry flax to grind up to make the onion bread.