Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Typical daily diet?

NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

What is your typical daily raw diet like? I am trying to introduce a lot of greens into my diet but I am not sure if I am still getting enough. I am also concerned that I am not taking enough calories in on a daily basis. How do you when you are getting enough??

My typical diet is like this but it does vary depending upon the day and how much time I have in the morning. Mornings are usually very busy for me…never enough time!!

Breakfast: Usually just some fruit

Brunch: A green smoothie consisting of fruits and greens. Sometimes I add some flaxseed oil to it.

Lunch: Usually a small green salad along with veggies and hummus.

Snack: Some fruit and some nuts

Another Snack about 2 or 3 hours later: Usually a small handful of nuts and goji berries.

Dinner: It varies…This is the best time for me to experiment with recipes since I usually have more time. It can be a veggie garden wrap or a raw veggie spaghetti or something similar. I’ve been trying out different recipes that I have found here or in my raw books.

Dessert: Usually fruit.

Comments

• raw_earthraw_earth Raw Newbie

I posted this in another topic, so I hope you don’t mind my re-posting here.

I basically drink a salad for breakfast (3-4 cups of green juice containing a head of celery, a few leaves each of kale and chard, a small bunch of parsley, and an apple). This fills me up for pretty much the whole morning. Then I have fruit throughout the afternoon, and a huge salad for dinner (and I do mean huge

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Zoe and I have normally about 20-30 ingredients in our pantry. I typically just experiment with these depending on what I am in the mood for. Sometimes I want spicy, sometimes chunky, sometimes sweet, sometimes heavy, sometimes light. If everything goes wrong, I can always be satisfied with a bowl of Avocado and Tomato chunks and a pinch of salt, that never gets old.

Lately I have been making some breakthroughs in the Soup category. Soup was a specialty of mine as a vegan. I used to cook at a ReTreat center in Virgina and I was known for my soups. Since going raw I have been dissapointed with soup creations, upset that I can’t use my old methods. Recently I solved my biggest issue, which was what to use as a base/stock. As a vegan chef, my secret was apple juice as a base, but that didn’t work so well with raw soups. My new base/stock is a combination of carrot and cucumber juice, and it RAWKS! I’m Back in the soup game. I’ll post some soon.

• The way I am trying to eat at the moment (please note I said trying) is to have fruit in the morning for breakfast (this week that is a mix of plums, nectarines, cherries and apples) along with a pint glass of blended salad (consisting of frozen mixed berries, fresh blueberries, 1 head cos/Romaine lettuce, small handful dulse seaweed and 2 oranges).

For lunch I have the other pint of blended salad along with a garden salad (mixed greens from my garden, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, pumpkin seeds) and fruit if I feel the need for it.

For dinner I have another salad (with stuff like raw zucchini, peppers, raw beetroot, cabbage, etc added) and more fruit.

I do drink water and at the moment still enjoy my fennel tea during the day as well.

• Wow you guys eat alot! I just go by what I feel like. Breakfast is usually some smoothie. Two favs: 1. Banana, blueberry, hemp seeds, bee pollen and maca 2. Watermelon, two handfuls of greens

Lunch is often a regular sized salad: greens, 1/2 avocado, bell peppers, pine nuts with a dressing of olive oil and apple cider vinegar

Dinner is what I feel like – lately more watermelon/veggie juice or some nuts, or a salad, or a dessert!

That’s about it for me!

• Chris, thanks for sharing your secret! I love soap, too!!

Yesterday, I had a smoothie with hemp seeds, oranges and dandelion, green juice with beet, carrot, cucumber and beet’s green, some strawberries, half a water melon, half a cup of hummus with carrot sticks, and a home-made kim-chi salad with cucumber, parsley and cilantro.

Today, I ‘ll have a green juice, green smoothie, walnut fudge balls, half a cup of hummus, a young coconut, kim-chi salad and a pear.

When I have to go out, I bring fruit like banana and apple in my purse. I also bring flax crackers if I know I can’t make it home for lunch or dinner. One time, I was working at a client’s and for lunch, I went to a near-by supermarket, bought one cantaloupe, ask them to cut it in half for me and I spooned and ate that for lunch (I don’t like the ready cut-up fruit salad, first they’re expensive, second they’re not fresh.)

• hungry girl that’s such a good idea! I’d never really thought of going into a super market and asking them to cut fruit for me. I know publix will do that, even core a pineapple. Mmmm..pineapple.

To answer the question – I’ve been eating pretty simply lately..

Strawberries and blueberries for breakfast, some carrots with dip, a huuuuuge salad with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt… and some bananas with fudge. Mmmmm..

Today I had a blueberry smoothie for breakfast, and then a strawberry one for lunch. I’ve got some coconut in the fridge to drink through until dinner time. :o)

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I start every morning with a smoothie. Or a blended salad, depending on what you want to call it. I always put two or three kinds of fruit in, with apple or orange juice, ground flax and as much spinach or other greens as I can cram into the blender. If they’re bitter greens I’ll add some raw honey or agave to sweeten it up a bit. Yesterday morning it was strawberries, blueberries, a nectarine and spinach with apple juice. I usually throw a banana in there too, but the ones I have aren’t ripe yet. :o(

Lunch was a humongous green salad with everything I could think of in it. I had the day off because of the 4th of July holiday, so I wasn’t in a hurry and I took my time going through the fridge and using up all the odds and ends of things that needed to be eaten. Lemme see if I can remember everything that was in there… three kinds of lettuce (green leaf, red leaf and some spindly oak-leaf looking stuff), dandilion greens, spinach, shredded cabbage, cucumber, radishes, raw corn, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, grated carrot, pumpkin seeds, clover sprouts, and some black olives (not raw, but I love ‘em in salad). I made a dressing with avocado, fresh basil, dill and parsley, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and apple juice.

After lunch I was sooooo full of salad I felt like Violet Beauregard after she chewed the Willy Wonka gum and turned into a giant blueberry… only I would’ve been green. Hehehe!

Dinner was more salad (I made enough for a hundred people) and some green & yellow zucchini I lightly sauteed in vegetable broth with garlic and fresh basil.

Last night we went to the fairgrounds to watch fireworks, so I wasn’t home to graze or snack and went to bed without eating anything else. Usually in the evening I’ll have a cup of herbal tea and a piece of fruit, or some frozen banana sorbet or something like that. IF, that is, I’m being good and not getting into the regular ice cream, which gives me a terrible stomach ache but I still do it sometimes, anyway. What’s up with that? ;o)

• Hi everyone, based on what I am reading I am undereating and I have to work on that. My typical day is: Green smoothie for b’fast but generally I do not eat until 12:00pm.

Salad for lunch or fruit (mono meal 1 type of fruit)

Salad for dinner, the salads were big but now they are small. Its been a week or so where I am satisfied with this. In addition to feeling better and eating the best possible food I am also into this so that I can be in better shape. The weight is coming off slow, I swim every day but no weights lately, no yoga and no exercise bike. I need to eat more so that I can move more. Peace to all Dea

• I don’t know if this is still considered true but I have read several times that calorie consumption should not drop below 1100 calories a day or the body goes into famine mode – at this point, even if you are eating healthily, but your calorie count is below 1100 you will find it very hard to lose weight, as the body holds on to everything it gets.

Generally I aim for a calorie intake of 1600 a day, but at the moment find that very hard to achieve. Salads and raw veg just don’t rank very high in calories by and large and I find it hard to eat the quantities required to make up 1600 calories (though blended salads do help).

• Hi Rob07,

I’ve read that too, its so hard to separate fact from fiction though there are so very many diet myths out there. Right now for me it feels right, for my body that is, to undereat. Anyway I will up my intake and start eating more healthy fats. I think the heat has a lot to do with it too, I just crave savory and sweet fruit in the summer.

• I don’t count calories. I ‘ll make sure that I have some fat in my diet everyday; I’ll have one or two of the following everyday…an avocado, a young coconut and some humus or a handful or two of sprouted nuts. I eat when I’m hungry. I don’t want to force myself to eat just so that I eat enough calories. I think I would develop a habit of just eating for the sake of eating if I eat when I’m not hungry…. I hope I make sense?

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Gabriel Cousens says that the concept of getting enough calories is not important. When the body is getting enough minerals through greens and other foods on a raw food diet, the body becomes more alkaline. In this relaxed state there is no need to eat lots of food like most cooked fooders. It’s not about calories, it’s about nutrition.

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I focus on nutrition also. Coconut oil, olive oil and seaweed would increase calories and nutrition in a positive way.

Breakfast Green drink of blended parsley, green onions and celery And I have not blended Half a cantaloupe 1 Mango

Lunch If I ate at a restaurant, a soup plus a vegetable plate (might be cooked). Plus fruit for desert if at a buffet.

At home lunch is, seaweed salad with ev olive oil, avocado, tomato, 1/2 or 1/3 of pineapple

Afternoon snack: 1/2 cucumber for enzymes

Dinner: 1 grapefruit, 1 apple

Plus a morning and evening dose of ev cocounut oil.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

My typical daily diet: Kale, avocado and 3 tomatoes Honey mango Orange juice More Kale avocado and tomatoes. Young coconut drink So simple and so Heavenly, I love being raw!!!