Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What do you know about SALT?

2»

Comments

• salt is amazing. but only use sun dried sea salt. celtic sea salt is a good brand. himalayan pink salt is crap. its heated and from inland. this is easy to prove. after himalayan salt your pee will be bright yellow. celtic salt doesnt do this because your body is using these minerals. try it out.

all this stuff about salt containing inorganic minerals, which the body can’t use is not correct.

• Here’s a clip from the full article at http://www.naturalnews.com/024596.html

Celery is rich in sodium, which is very different to table salt. Normal table salt is composed of insoluble inorganic compounds which lead to the development of varicose veins, hardening of the arteries and other aliments. If salt, including sea salt is white, then it has been processed and all minerals and nutrients have been destroyed.

On the other hand, the sodium that is available in celery is soluble and organic (live), and is essential for the body. Organic salt allows the body to use the other nutrients that are taken into the body. Every cell in our body is constantly bathed in a salt solution, and if the salt level is not in balance, dehydration occurs. This is why celery juice is a perfect rehydration drink for athletes.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i hardly think those that don’t eat salt should rush out and buy some, but it’s ridiculous to condemn some of the most health-conscious people out there for a moderate intake of sea salt.

give me a break!

may he/she who has NO vices or self-defeating tendencies cast the first stone: IDEALLY, no one should get stressed, eat when not hungry, breathe bad air, breathe from their mouth, get angry, get frustrated, doubt themselves, lose awareness of the present moment, refrigerate their tomatoes… but sometimes we need to work within the given parameters and make the BEST choices possible for the moment. if it keeps you eating your salads and staying raw, i see it as a far better alternative than REAL junk food.

peace!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

PIANISSIMA – Good advice, echoed the lady with reoccuring vices and occasional self-defeating tendencies. LOL.

I rarely eat salt and generally speaking don’t put it in or on my food although there are some things I like to eat with some sea or himalayan salt in it. I am not 100% raw so if I make raw pesto with udon noodles (as the pesto to noodle ratio is usually 3 to 1) I always use a little salt. I have never found that eating salt makes me crave salt, which I believe was suggested in this thread.

Whenever I have had my yearly full blood analysis, my sodium always comes back right outside the normal range on the low side and I am lectured on the importance of eating salt, by both my conventional and naturopathic doctors. My naturopathic doctor is stern on not eating table salt. After you eat “real salt,” table salt is quite nasty.

• Pianissima – You said perfectly what I should have said.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I feel good when I eat what my body wants. I often, but not always, eat salt (though not table salt, of course!), and eating it never makes me want more – if it were addictive for me, I would just want more & more all the time. That is simply not how it affects me AT ALL. There are also times when I want little or no salt. Again – if it were really addictive, that wouldn’t happen. I agree with pianissima – if you feel good/best eating no salt, then do that. I would also like to add that just because one person feels/functions best with or without certain foods DOESN’T mean that the same foods are good/bad for every other person on the planet. So, to say that people who eat salt are addicted and believing lies isn’t necessarily true. It may be the truth that salt is not good FOR YOU, and every person needs to follow what is true & best for his/her own life.

• I totally agree with jgfergus and others who vote against non plant salt in our diet. Salt just holds water and makes you swell. I now I start craving salt when I am not eating enough greens. And I am getting thirsty if I am not eating enough juicy fruit. But if for some reason I have no choice but to eat some cooked food I have to drink enormous amounts of water. I did run on a 10 day race on a high fruit diet low fat (basicly 811) and drank hardly a glass of pure watwr a day but I drank my smoothies all the time. My feet and hands were nice and did not swell while so many folks had that problem of theyr feet growing during the race. I remember the difference from when I was still using salt. So my experience says – no salt, more green leaves and fruit!

• I don’t hate people that eat salt, I just tell the people I love to avoid it.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

zinfandel, I tried to go to your site but it said page not found. I was just in champaign yesterday delivering to Kraft.

Yep we deliver SAD food, sorry and today paper, and just by what I have seen out here, chicken is now really dead to me. what I see makes me sick.

Everyone has their own opinion of salt so I will keep mine because I am going by what my body says is right and It does much better with salt than without.

Yours may just not like it.

• a higher salt intake is supposed to be good for those with adrenal fatigue and wilson's in order to up the blood pressure. i like salt enough but rarely eat it. i prefer raw garlic!

s

• Blue eyes - Zin's link doesn't work because there is a parenthesis on the end. Cut and paste the link in your browser and delete the paenthesis on the end and it should work

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Bananaboy-- lack of salt can cause death-- runners have died of this, losing salt and other electrolytes via overhydration...

Hyponatremia (British: hyponatraemia) is an electrolyte disturbance (disturbance of the salts in the blood) in which the sodium (Natrium in Latin) concentration in the plasma is too low (hypo in Greek; in this case, below 135 mmol/L).

Severe or rapidly progressing hyponatremia can result in swelling of the brain (cerebral edema), and the symptoms of hyponatremia are mainly neurological. Hyponatremia is most often a complication of other medical illnesses in which either fluids rich in sodium are lost (for example because of diarrhea or vomiting), or excess water accumulates in the body at a higher rate than it can be excreted (for example in polydipsia or syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone, SIADH). There may also be spurious hyponatremia (pseudohyponatremia) if other substances expand the serum and dilute the sodium (for example, high blood levels of fats in hypertriglyceridemia or high blood sugar in hyperglycemia).

The diagnosis of hyponatremia relies mainly on the medical history, clinical examination and blood and urine tests. Treatment can be directed at the cause (for example, corticosteroids in Addison's disease) or involve restriction of water intake, intravenous saline or drugs like diuretics, demeclocycline, urea or vaptans (antidiuretic hormone receptor antagonists). Correcting the salt and fluid balance needs to occur in a controlled fashion, as too rapid correction can lead to severe complications such as heart failure or central pontine myelinolysis.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I admit to having somewhat of a salt addiction, not in fruits but when I eat savory foods or salads. I went 2 weeks without salt and I was craving it the whole time, I didn't feel like my body needed it per se, it was just a craving, like "oh, I sure wish I had a pinch of salt on this salad". At the same time, I could taste how salty a plain tomato was, I couldn't believe it.

All I can say is if you think you might have a salt problem, try going without and see if you "crave" it. That craving isn't your body *needing* a kind of nutrient, it's the detox when the sodium chloride is leaving your body, just like any other addiction, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, nicotine, etc.

For all the years I've been eating raw, I've always known that sodium chloride, ie table or sea or Himalayan salt etc. didn't have a place in the human body, but it can be a hard habit to kick.

Annabelle have you ever read Paul Bragg's book, The Miracle of Fasting? In it he talks about a challenge he took against many college aged boys in death valley. He had absolutely no salt, in fact he was fasting on distilled water, while the boys were eating many kinds of salted meats, eating salt tablets, etc. They bailed out half-way through, while Paul, an older gentleman, continued to hike through the desert, camped out the night and walked back. I think on a standard cooked diet maybe sodium chloride is needed, but on a clean diet the body will thrive without the use of table salt. If people aren't getting their sodium naturally through plant foods, there would be problems.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

sid23 thanks that worked perfect!!

samesofam that is probably why I need the salt then. by the time I found a holistic practioner she said I was low on everything including many trace minerals and that I had found her in time. I was very sick, asthma doc had me on a bunch of stuff and when I went to see him because I was so tired he wanted me to be on anti depressants and i said no. and kept looking for answers.