Protein question

I asked some questions about protein in another section of the forum but I think it would better suit this section. Also, this kind of branches into a different thing.

Ok, I’m writing a zine about Veganism and in the FAQ section I talk about protein. Is the information I give here accurate? I want to make sure before I begin to print it.

“Where will I get my protein?” I’ve been asked this question so many times (and you will be too) , so I’m gonna put it all out there. First off, you do not need so much protein! We’ve been sold the “protein myth” and have turned into a protein-crazy society. Proteins are simply chains of amino acids and you can get an intense amount of these amino acids just by eating green leafy vegetables. Protein is essentially the “middleman” for digesting amino acids into your body. Second thing to know…when you cook a piece of meat, or tofu, or anything…half the protein gets cooked out, breaking up the enzymes, therefore making it much harder to digest. Who knew you could up your protein intake and ease your digestive process by eating more raw foods? Third piece of information…The American Dietetic Association states that an average vegan diet gets twice as much protein as it needs. Still not convinced? After a year of being vegan I got my blood tested and the doctor told me that my protein levels (among other tests done) were completely normal. Yep, completely normal despite that I (1) “need” a lot of protein (I’m a runner), (2) don’t pay much attention to my protein intake, and (3) eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. If you still think protein is extremely vital and can only come from animal sources, look at the people on VeganBodyBuilding.com and read their articles. Now, breathe in, breathe out, and don’t worry so much! I’m not saying you should avoid protein, not at all! But you need not worry so much about protein if you’re getting enough calories everyday and not eating tons of junk food. Refer to pg. 16 for veg protein sources and use VeganHealth.org.

Comments

• many fruits have at least 1% Amino acids as well (you may want to add that). Once animal protein enters the bloodstream it is immediately treated as a toxin, and expelled. 2/3’s of your protein comes from your bodies recycled reserves so we need even less than we think :) (info thanks to dr. fry)

• kennyt – sounds great. i can’t think of anything to add except maybe ask whether they’ve heard anyone ever suffering from a protein deficiency. also if you can, cite some sources for your claims(maybe a link from the ADA… because i never knew they said that!) that can be really important. especially since many people believe animal protein is actually more easily assimilated into the body. good luck!

• bump

• I don’t have time to verify this right now, but I recall reading that plants are 23% protein. I’ve written about protein in other forums here as well as in articles on raw foods and veganism (but some of them aren’t online).

If you click on my picture it will take you to my profile, then click on where it says forum posts (monitored/all) and it will list just my posts. You can scroll down a bit, but not too much, and you’ll see some stuff I wrote on protein.

I also like what Alisa Cohen said in a blog on her site last year (I just tried to find it but couldn’t). If protein is so good for you, why do bodybuilders need so much of it?

I just like stating that our second-closest primate relative, the gorilla, is 100% vegan and pound-for-pound possibly the strongest animal on the planet. All the strongest, longest-lived land animals are vegan, including elephants, rhinos, hippos, steer and oxen, horses and all ruminants.

Go here: http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/myths.html

Oh, and it has the protein content stuff. Yay!

Michael Bluejay’s site has a lot of facts covering all kinds of stuff about veganism, including refuting myths and stuff like that. It could be a great source for your zine. I had an article published in Tucson Green Magazine on the 15th regarding going vegan to save the planet, but they don’t have an online version. It had references and everything. Maybe you could publish it in your zine too (you would just have to say that “this article originally appeared…” We just need to figure out how to get it to you (I guess I could send you the version I sent them, I just haven’t checked how much they edited it).

Rawk on, my friend, rawk on…

• Oh, and Skinny Bitch was actually a great book with lots of facts backed up by references. In there they said (what I’ve said for years, but not published, dammit!): “Have you ever, ever, ever heard about anyone being protein deficient?” or something very similar to that like what annex said above.

Okay, bye.

• I think its well written but theres two things

1: proteins doesnt “cook” out, but their bio avalability drops to almost nothing.

2: There is a protein deficiency disease: kwashiorkor( One of the symptons is a svollen belly, and its very noticable in children) its a protein deficiency disease that occurs in populations with an ekstremely limited diet. An example could be people in refugee camps, surviving on nothing but cooked corn meal and milk powder, both foods with a low bioavalability.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Kwashiorkor is virtually nonexistent in developed societies, with the exception perhaps of refugee or concentration camps. It’s a disease seen more often in desperately poor countries that cannot produce the variety of foods necessary to feed its population adequately. People in western societies are far more likely to get diseases from consuming too much protein and the fats that generally accompany them (ie. meats, dairy). Most SAD eaters get 100% more protein as they actually need and 200-300% more fat.

Doctors tell anemic females to eat more iron-rich protein to raise iron levels, but it would far more effective to keep the protein levels at 10% or lower by eating a plant-based diet that includes plant foods that are especially rich in iron. This iron is far better assimilated than that of red meat and the and fat in meats just interfere with the absorption of the iron. In the societies we live in, protein deficiency would be more likely due to another underlying illness than actual protein intake.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

There are very few raw foods that actually contain complete proteins but those that do are amazing. I am referring to the blue green algae, hemp seeds, and a few other exotic superfoods. But eating a good balance of nuts and these superfoods will give you the protein you need. I don’t digest seeds and don’t eat them but you can incorporate them if you want to.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

avocados are a ‘complete’ protein. Which is cool because they’re amazing.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

True, trouble!

• thanks for all the information everyone. if anyone else wants to critique or correct anything in my original post please let me know!