How long 'til nuts/seeds go bad?

I have pound and pounds of raw nuts and seeds coming in. Anyone know how long they will keep? Where I should store them-fridge? or just a dry cool place…mainly interested in knowning about sunflower seeds, almonds and pecans. Thanks all

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I have far less experience that other raw-fooders, so I can only speak for myself.

I have had better luck making sure the nuts are dry and in an air-right containers, than in my fridge. Refridgerators temps go up and down constantly, and they can become humid, even if they are frost-free. Especially if they are old(like mine!) Nuts like pecans and walnuts hate any moisture. I advise a cool, dry place and put them into a vacuum bag. I think that will work better than just a fridge.

I sure could use any and all advise myself.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Really raw nuts will actually develop mold over time if you don’t refrigerate them. I always refrigerate them to avoid this. Just store what you have room for and as you eat them your other nuts can make way into the fridge.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I Just ordered 4lbs of Almonds and they came vacuum sealed in one pound bags. This made me really happy!! I go through mine fairly quickly though but usually only buy a couple pounds at a time, so I just store them in air tight jars. I have some lesser used nuts that have been in the cabinet (in jars) for a couple months and are still good. Just used some that have been sitting there for a while the other day.

Seeds keep well too, but go bad quicker once sprouted. Usually 1-3 weeks depending on the seed sprouted. Pumpkin seeds only last a week or so. My sunflowers last 2-3. You know they go bad when they are slimy and stink.

• I live in Northern California which is nut growing country and everyone here shells their nuts and freezes them. They keep very well and will still sprout. I also sprout my nuts and seeds when I bring them home then I dehydrated them and freeze them. They are ready for my living nut butters and recipes and it saves me tons of work and time.

• Thanks all :) so sounds like I can keep them in a fridge, freezer, or air-tight and cool for several months. Thank you for all the input… most of my stuff does not come vacuum sealed and its hard to tell how long its been since harvested.

• Fresh nuts can store for a while, if your getting them from a large supplier, I hate to say it, but they are probably already rancid!

Alright people, I’m ready for your attacks….

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

haha I agree TOL. I actually read that the longer you store your nuts the more toxic they become. I don’t eat nuts really so I didn’t pay close attention to why it was they did that but just a heads up….don’t store to long.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Nuts that are shelled do become toxic as they sit in the air, but I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I have 10 pounds of pistachios in the fridge, 3 pounds macadamias, 1 pound cashews and 1 pound almonds. They do fine when you chill them.