Juicer

What would you recommend as the best juicer? Ive seen some really expensive ones but dont know if theyre worth the money.

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

What do you think you’ll be juicing the most? I choose the Omega because I wanted to juice a lot of greens and make tahini. I had borrowed my mother’s Champion last year, and found that although it was good for hard, crip foods like carrots and apple, it rather sucked with leafy greens and couldn’t handle sesame seeds at all.

So I would figure out what your intentions are first, and go from there.

• I have a champion juicer and it works great. I had a juiceman juicer and ended up selling it at a garage sale – not worth your money.

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

I just got mine at Goodwill. A $5 score, and it works great!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I wrote about this on my blog at www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com recently. Here is what I had to say :)

My Favorite Juicers: Green Star and Breville I was asked recently which juicer I use. The answer is that I actually have two, and I love them both for different reasons. Nothing – and I mean nothing – beats juicing. Like the vegan version of being a vampire, you feel absolutely super-human when you drink down pure Plant Blood (the name I use for veggie juice).

Green Star This bad boy isn’t cheap, but it’s life-changing. Wanna go hardcore? This is it! This machine is great because it’s extremely durable, reliable, can also juice wheatgrass (most juicers cannot do this, so you often have to buy a separate wheatgrass juicer), plus more. Because this juicer uses twin gears which gently and slowly extract the juice, it doesn’t degrade or oxidize nearly as fast as it does with a centrifugal juicer (below). Green Star juice can be stored in an airtight container for a couple of days without much oxidation, which makes it perfect for people who can only juice once a day or less.

This juicer squeezes out every bit of juice, leaving you with very dry pulp, so you’re really getting your money’s worth from your organic produce. Here are other tricks this juicer can do: make ice cream from frozen produce such as bananas or mangoes, as well as homogenize nuts, seeds and grains for pate and butters, and it’s great for making baby foods, apple sauce, etc.

The Green Star takes longer to use and clean up, but it’s still amazing and well worth the money (and the time if you have it).

Breville This juicer has a special place in my heart. I LOVE my Breville Fountain Juicer (and pretty much use it daily) because it’s lightening fast and SUPER EASY to clean. This machine inspires me to juice multiple times a day due to its ease of use. It’s considerably less expensive than the Green Star, but because it’s centrifugal, you should drink the juice within 15 minutes of making it to prevent oxidation and nutrient loss.

This is the perfect juicer for people who plan to do a lot of daily juicing, and want it to be fast and efficient — just be sure to drink right after juicing. The other thing to note is that the pulp from this juicer is quite moist, so you know that you’re not extracting all of the juice like you do with the Green Star. However, I usually add the pulp to my dog’s food or put it on top of my salad or feed it to the bunnies in my yard or make raw dehydrated crackers from it (so, you can see, it doesn’t go to waste).

All in all, I love both of my juicers and I’m happy to have and use both. I find that I drink a lot more juice having the Breville due to its ease of use and cleaning, but I love having my Green Star for times I juice wheatgrass, make other things besides juice, or for those days that I need to make my juice made ahead of time.

For those of you looking for great juicing and smoothie recipes, I have a terrific ebook loaded with fresh raw vegan beverage recipes.

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

www.KristensRaw.com

www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

• I have the Samson and not the new $400.00 one, the one thats around $225.00.Its grinds grain,makes pasta,nut pates,and juices wheatgrass and greens and the pulp is dry.I heard centfrugal does not do greens good.The Samson is super easy to clean.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Tomsmom-I’m sure this is a silly question that I should already know but how do you use your juicer to make tahini? I really want to make it but have never known how and I have a great juicer. It does well with greens so hopefully it’ll be able to make tahini!

• I mostly try to juice greens in My blender but they tend to clog it and dont do a v good job so what would you recommend for those?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

troublejustabubble, when I tried it with my mom’s Champion, the seeds actually flew straight up out of the chute. I guess the “teeth” just couldn’t get a grip and exerted just enough pressure to pop them right back out.

With the Omega, which is an auger-type squeezer, it pretty much forces them right on through the tube. I just slowly pour in the sesame seeds, about an eighth cup at a time. The thing is, because the Omega doesn’t exert nearly the pressure as a much better auger juicer, I do need to keep putting the paste back in and re-crushing several times. You end up with a spreadable seed pate, not really the nice, creamy cooked tahini. I guess if you can afford a better brand auger juice, it’d be a good idea, but this Omega is good for me now.

I”ve only made it with whole sesame seed, both the light and black seeds. I think that if you make it with hulled seed, it would be smoother.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Your blender is best for smoothies, which are great for you too. We use the Green Star. I say “we”, but I really mean “he”. I do 99.9% of the cooking and uncooking in our house. I shop, I prep, I concoct and dream up gourmet feasts as well as simple fare. However, the Green Star is a daunting piece of equipment. I have never personally used it. It is entirely his domain. It’s mostly the assembly, disassembly and cleaning that seem overwhelming to me. I’m sure the juicing itself is a piece of cake, but I’m glad to turn this one kitchen chore over to my weekend juice-master. We LOVE the juice that it produces. We make 2 litre batches and drink over two days. The dry pulp is handy as a virtually fat-free filler for dehydrator snacks. The Green Star juices greens masterfully, including wheatgrass, as KristensRaw mentioned in her blog. However, the white plastic parts of the juicer stain easily, which makes for a not-so-fun scrub with lemon juice and baking soda now and again. There are functional drawbacks to the Green Star, but the end results benefits make them seem less significant, at least to us.