Looking for a high-protein easy to prepare meal for supper

rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

Hi again,

I’m looking for a high-protein easy to prepare meal for supper. I’m also planning on making my own carrot juice later on today for the first time, and see how it tastes.

Right now I’m trying to increase my raw percentage. It isn’t at 50 percent yet, but i have lost 10lbs in the last month.

I’ve bought a couple of books with some menus, but I am looking for simple meals that are high in protein for supper, that will fill me up. Meals that don’t take 20 different ingredients, and that are easy to prepare.

For breakfast I am eating milk and cereal with a serving of chopped up berries on top (like strawberries, or raspberries.)

My lunch has been about 3 cups of greens, with bean sprouts, radishes, a tomato, green onion, cucumber slices, a few croutons, and a little salad dressing (1 tbsp) and maybe a little vinegar.

I’ve been eating fruit for snacks. Today I already ate a banana , orange, and an apple.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

;-)

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Why high-protein? You need no more than 10% of your total calories from protein. A raw diet of fruit and vegetables, supplemented with some seeds and nuts, will provide 10% of protein quite adequately. If you want to fill yourself up, choose things that are more calorically dense, like avocado, seeds and nuts. Tonight, I am serving sprouted quinoa tabbouleh, zucchini hummus, romaine lettuce for wrapping, some raw veggies and a couple of non-raw items (lentils with spinach and tzatziki) to keep my better half happy. He will have a multigrain pita as well. I might have some of the lentils, since they are soooo good. This meal will be amply filling. Between the raw tahini in the hummus, the olive oil and quinoa in the tabbouleh and the veggies for bulk, this will be filling. This is without the cooked portions of the meal. The lentils and tzatziki with pita will make it a grand feast. I have not calculated the carb/protein/fat ratios, but it’s unecessary, as this is a very well-balanced meal, based on the wide variety of vegetables (mostly carbs), plus some fat and protein. This is a hugely high-fibre meal too, so there will be no issue whatsoever with either of us not feeling full.

By the way, for anyone who thinks this sounds like a ton of work for a mid-week dinner, consider that I made the tzatziki last week, the hummus on Sunday, the lentils on Monday and the tabbouleh earlier today (Wednesday). All that’s left to do now is take everything out of the fridge and chop up a few veggies for dipping.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

1sweetpea is right. They myth that you need all that protein is propagated by the government and the beef and dairy industries.

All the protein you need is in your fruits, veges and seeds!

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I heard that I was suppose to take in about 70 grams of protein for 195 lbs bodyweight. Just wondering how I would do it easily , if I removed the cup of milk and processed cereal I ate today??

If i already ate 5 servings of fruit then that would only be around 5 grams for the fruit. I’m not sure about the large salad I ate.

I’m sure I’m hitting 10% protein, but should I be concerned about Amount of Daily Protein vs Body Weight, or doesn’t that matter?? I’m also male, do males need more protein?? or is that a myth also.

Thanks again.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

To very simply answer your questions, I quote from ungrateful’s post: “the myth that you need all that protein is propagated by the government and the beef and dairy industries. All the protein you need is in your fruits, veges and seeds!” Rather than try to dispel those myths myself, I suggest that you seek out a few reading materials, to gain a better understanding of what the body needs to get healthy, be healthy and stay healthy. I highly recommend The China Studay, by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. Do some on-line research about the Boutenko family. Victoria Boutenko has written a few books that might be enlightening reading for you. A more extreme piece of reading, but an interesting one, nonetheless, is The 80/10/10 Diet, which I am not endorsing per se, but Dr. Douglas N. Graham, M.D. makes some compelling arguments in it. I hope this helps you. Also, have a search through the various forum topics posted by others. There are at least a few threads that directly deal with the “protein” question.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

300 grams of spinach chopped, juice from 1 lemon, 6 soft dates chopped

enjoy!

for more protein: repeat

also… variations: add any or all of… 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1 head of broccoli florettes, 1 cup of soaked walnuts, 1 bunch of spring onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced

Thank you chriscarlton, that is just what I was looking for. Simple and quick and a good dose of protein. I want to try to maintain muscle mass and lose fat, so anymore ideas are welcome!!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Sprouts!

• i agree with germin8, sprouts are amazing for protein, and they are also awesome in green smoothies because they have the effect of thinning out the mixture a bit-my smoothies can be quite soup-like sometimes…

also stuff like hemp protein powder (the grainy kind that you need to keep in the fridge) and hemp seed nut are good, i usually have about a tbls of each a day.

I have 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed everyday, that is 4g of protein right there. I keep an organic bag a flaxseed in the fridge and grind it everyday as needed.

I’ll have to try the sprouts in smoothies and see how they taste.

The hemp seed seems interesting, i’ll have to see if I can find it in my area.

Thanks.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I never think about flax, of course!!!

I soak flax seeds in 3 time their volume of water and then blend into a thick foam cream with even more (1/2 – 1 cup) water added on top before blending. This is a base for all my bread. On it’s own, just poured out onto trays to dehydrate, it’s like prawn crackers. Careful not to spread it out much you will pop the natural bubbles. Then depending on what you add, it can become anything from pasta, tortilla, pizza crust, fried batter, even our famous Carrot Onion Bread.

additions include: banana, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, onions, broccoil, olive oil, tomato, kitchen scraps, juicing pulp, etc.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Like others above I also use hemp seeds and sprouts, a good big handfull of mung bean sprouts on your salad is a very easy way to up the protein content and they taste like peas fresh from the pod in your garden too, – yum! hemp seeds made into milk and then blended with a banana or two and some raw cacao powder is another quick and easy portein/filling snack. on the other hand chris’s recipie above is making me wish I had a dehydrator…