Sunfood Nutrition's Organic Wild Amazonian Jungle Peanuts

1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Has anyone tried these? They are an heirloom variety of peanut, hand harvested, totally raw, aflatoxin-free and organic … so why won’t they sprout? I soaked them for 12 hours (probably a bit more) and now have them draining in a strainer. I rinsed them twice since draining them. I’m only trying to sprout a small amount, to see if they work, but not a single one has a tail bursting through the skin. They taste fresh, but wtf? They’re quite expensive and I’ll be peeved if what I’ve ordered is … well, dead. The best before date is 04/01/09, so they should be okay. I’m sure I read somewhere on one of these threads that someone makes sprouted peanut butter out of these. Am I just being too impatient? Should it take 2 or 3 days before I see a tail sprouting out?

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Well, I’m sensing nobody has tried these nuts, or tried to sprout them. I soaked a handful (maybe 1/3 cup) for 12 hours, then rinsed. It has now been 24 hours in the strainer and exactly two peanuts look like they might sprout. I will not order these again and frankly, I’m now going to be a bit wary of any of Sunfood Nutrition’s nuts. They were expensive. To find that they are raw, but dead, is real disappointment. I will probably soak and try to sprout the rest of the bag, just to prove that it wasn’t just a fluke, but I will definitely be contacting the supplier.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

yeah, make sure they know you know they aren’t raw. I get a little irritated when something says raw and it isn’t.

That is why right now I’m doing 100% raw and just to be safe and make sure that I’m really 100% I’m skipping out on all the coconut, olive, sesame oils because some say cold pressed but I found out they’re actually heated to 170°. Which is annoying. All I’m doing are fruits and veggies and sprouted seeds. It’s been awesome so far. ha

Good luck on finding raw nuts and I hope they’re out there somewhere!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I actually have tried the wild jungle peanuts. They are very tasty when they are unsoaked, but not very digestible. When you soak them they sprout, and when you dehydrate them they are tasty again, but I haven’t bought them because they don’t digest well for me. I do not believe the nuts from Sunfood are not living because I can’t digest them.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I think they’re legitimately raw. I wanted to soak and sprout them because they are legumes, not real nuts. They ARE tough to digest as is. I’m just peeved that they don’t appear to be sprouting, which indicates to me that they died at some point, from what cause I do not know. I watched a YouTube video on how they’re harvested. I have no doubt that they are raw. I ate the ones that didn’t sprout, but were soaked. The tasted nice, similar to boiled peanuts, which I’ve had in Chinese restaurants, but a little boring. I’m with you, RawKidChef. They’re definitely tough on the tummy. I’m going to make one last ditch attempt to sprout them, using a bit more patience, LOL. If they don’t sprout, I’m done with the jungle peanuts!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I’ve never tried to sprout them. I don’t know if a longer (or shorter?) soaking time would give you any different results. I’ve eaten them before, though, just the way they come, & they’re pretty good. Pay attention to how you feel. Not all the same foods are best for everyone or best for the same person all the time.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Good point about the sprouting, sweetpea! I noticed mine become soft and crunchy like bean sprouts do but no tail!?