Grinding Flaxseeds

rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

Just wondering if I can use my blender to grind flaxseeds and use them in smoothies???

Or is it better to use a coffee grinder and add the flaxseed to the blender in the ground state???

Thanks.

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Flax seeds are tough little guys… If you want them just a bit smashed up then a blender would be ok, but if you want them properly ground then I would use a coffee grinder – maybe a vitamix would get them properly ground up but I don’t know cus I don’t have one. Remember that flax seeds are high in essential fatty acids and that once the seeds are ground up they will oxidise quickly, so only grind what you need to use (or freeze i guess, but I have never tried that). Hope that helps :-)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Have just read your profile, check out jolietts profile, at the top of this link

http://goneraw.com/forums/health-beauty/topics/...

and see how good raw can be! Keep going, we’re always happy to answer questions on here!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

The coffee grinder is the best option. However, if you have a Vitamix, and making several servings at once, grind the flaxseeds first in the blender, then add the rest of the ingredients. I’ve seen this done, and it works. :)

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Coffee grinder! They won’t get ground up much just dumped into the smoothie.

Also, I think you will see a change in your blood pressure. I am 50-80% raw depending on the week and last couple times I went to a doctor my blood pressure was that of an athlete! :) Usually it’s higher but still healthy. Best of luck on your raw journey.