Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

corn commercial

has anyone been watching the commercial on tv with the two brothers who are talking about high fructose corn syrup. it’s so carefully worded it makes me steam…

brother 1: “even a dufous like you must have heard what they say about it!”

brother 2: “what? that it’s nutritionally the same as sugar? and it’s just fine in moderation?”

“nutritionally the same as sugar” is the part that really gets me. it’s not really lying, but it’s comparing it to another horrible food that people are just a little more familiar with.

so criminal.

plus, if you are eating food with HFCS to begin with, there’s no way you are getting it in moderation. it’s in EVERYTHING!

on the positive side, it shows that people are concerned enough about their health, that the corn industry would feel the need to defend itself.

ClaireT

Comments

• mjmackeymjmackey Raw Newbie

that commerical angers me. I agree with you – corn syrup is in sooo many products, it is hard to get it in moderation. Even some products labeled “All natural” have corn syup in them!

ClaireT
  • ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

It made me very angry.

Before I went raw that every darn thing I picked up seemed to have corn syrup in it.

What additive it is shouldn’t matter. We should be adamant that our food is fresh, organic and contains no additives of any kind.

Oh, and off topic, they are having another “PIZZA PARTY” at my job today to show their appreciation.

“Thank you for being a wage slave for another year, showing up on time, sitting in that cube quietly being underpaid and treated like a thief. Here is poison so you can be miserable, sick and addicted and then die early and painfully! Thank you!!”

It makes me want to cry, I don’t want to go and they are going to force me. I may sneak out and risk being fired just because I don’t want to have to smile at anyone.

Why, oh, why can’t they see?

:(

ClaireT
  • Ungrateful: here here to that and AMEN!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Iknow it is amazing. But, if they show it long enough people will believe it. People think that pork, the other white meat is healthy and that milk does a body good. I wonder when they will start “Lard, it lowers your cholesterol?”

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

daniefon—hee hee

my other favorite commercial is the kraft singles commercial saying it’s “wholesome” because it’s made with whole milk. hmmm… let’s read the ingredients in this cheese, shall we? what cow do you know that gives yellow milk?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

PIANISSIMA – You wrote:

that it’s nutritionally the same as sugar?

Hey there Mr. Dufous, that’s a big ole DUHHHH. Nutritionally the same as sugar. Is that what is now meant as an endorsement?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I’ve seen that commercial. It is very enraging. I can’t believe they even legally pulled that off, I mean, it’s the same as saying smoking in moderation improves your breathing, or that fried meat cleans out your arteries in moderation.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

This is the 3rd in the series of similar ads, each one as bad as the last.

I agree, if they are feeling threatened enough to have to put an add out then on some level things are moving in correct direction for some. The sad thing is all those that never stop to question what’s on TV or think, natural vs. processed and WILL buy into these adds. Lol, can’t wait until I do nutrition in class this year. I will be brining this up, and why it’s so fake(using their own website even). Gotta luv teaching how to sight reliable scientific sources! That and nutrition/food preservation…I CAN legitimately inform some of these kids of exactly what they are eating without getting in trouble!

• Wow, it is times like this I am so grateful I don’t have a television. HFCS good for you-oh excuse me, “fine for you”-in moderation eh? Yeah “fine”, as long as you don’t mind that our bodies aren’t made to run on garbage. But as long as they throw in a few whole grains & “natural” ingredients people will eat anything up, especially when it means they can feel better about gorging on their favorite poison-filled…well, everything—it’s in almost everything. Did you know that to qualify as a “natural” ingredient, it only has to be plant or animal derived & they obviously do not have to fully disclose. The things the food industry gets away with. Ungrateful: I feel you on the “pizza party”. That is how we are always “rewarded” & forced to “celebrate” at the HOSPITAL I work at. So depressing.

• My buddy told me about this commercial and I honestly didn’t believe him at first. The wording he said they used was just so blatant, and so ridiculous, I flat out didn’t think there was anyway that would make the airwaves.

This proves the link between the food and drug industry, the federal government, and the media in America…

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I teach my grandchildren, if it is on a commercial not to believe it…

The people that created the commercials are doing everything in their power to separate you from your money at the expense of your health…

TV commercials are meant to get YOUR money despite YOUR health, would make a great slogan….

• There’s also the High Fructose Corn Syrup ad with the two women and woman #1 is disagreeing with woman #2 on serving HFSC to her family. Well woman #2 is like “why not”. Woman #1 is confused as she tries to answer cuz she doesn’t KNOW why its bad for you. So now woman #2 gives the whole spiel on why HFCS is good 4 u etc. My boyf looks at me and is like, “See?!?” People are really believing this stuff! I guess I shold know that it works (ads) since I majored in Advertising.

• Wow…I don’t watch TV and haven’t heard of this till now and I had the “Your kidding me!” reaction (just like I did when I saw the Palin on SNL rap on you tube this morning!)

But what I thought was ironic, and I DON’T think it’s goneraw’s doing and I don’t know if it’s on everyone else’s screen…but when I scrolled up after reading everyone’s posts HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS A LISTED SPONSOR OF THIS POST! the site listed is HFCSFacts.com/SweetSurprise

SURPRISE!!!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

SID23 – I think the software for advertising sites (I believe the primary product is by Google) searches the text on a page and displays advertisements that are keyed to the terms found. I would not be surprised to see that.

I remember visiting a thread here once where those GR members who eat meat were being crucified while a natural beef advertisement was displayed. I was waiting for someone to blow a gasket.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

sid23—yeah, that’s what google does. it’s not personal. ;)

you guys are right to bring up the other person as rather baffled. the only thing that ad proves about HFCS is that none of us were character #1.

=)

• sid23-Meditating is right, I have noticed many times before that the Google product AD’s does a “mindless” search on these kind of threads for any relevant dialogue. One would be surprised how many websites Google sponsors, if they took the time to look…

• mjmackeymjmackey Raw Newbie

Just out of curiosity I went the their website and it states this The American Medical Association (AMA) recently concluded that “high fructose corn syrup does not appear to contribute to obesity more than other caloric sweeteners.” Basically saying we aren’t worse than sugar, we are just equally as bad. I found it entertaining.

• savvadsavvad Raw Newbie
    edited May 2023

This is because some people believe in their immortality. In some sense. So they think that they can lie to people and "change" terms. 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I hate advertising in all forms. 

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I try to avoid watching TV. It's the best solution I've found so far. Some of the commercials are enough to make me angry.