Cumin for Gas, Sulfurous Cabbage

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I spoke with a nutrition coach yesterday and somehow we got on the topic of sulfurous vegetables – cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower. She recommended those veggies for me.

She mentioned that cumin reduces gas! So add cumin. And, she said add lemon. No wonder, when I ate Russell James’ Curried Cabbage filling which has cumin (and lime juice) I didn’t have a problem.

Well… just FYI and try it out (if you have that problem). I’m going to try it… I’ve been staying away from such veggies because of that! It’s no wonder, my body needs the very thing I’m not eating!

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Cool – good to know! Additionally, David Wolfe recommends eating sulfurous veggies with some type of fat to aid the digestion.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hmmmm. I didn’t know fat would help too. Thanks.

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

I had been having really bad gas problems for months (“angry belly”, i nicknamed it – where it just sticks out and fights back if you try to push it in!)

I didn’t see a nutritionist, but I had been experimenting with my own elimination diet to no avail. And then about a month ago I got a intense craving for red cabbage and starting making coleslaw type creations daily – one day I added a bit more ginger and garlic than usual and ended up with a very Kim Chee tasting creation (fermented korean preparation) Since then I have been devouring Kim Chee as well as other homemade fermented veggies (cauliflower, cucumber, carrots, etc)

It has been amazing for my digestion and elimination (something that probiotics pills didn’t do for me).

I highly recommend you give it a try if you are still looking for relief!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I bet Kombucha would help too. And it’s delicious. So, even if it didn’t help, it sure wouldn’t hurt. I do notice that it helps my digestion, but I hadn’t evaluated it in terms of reducing gas discomfort.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

one thing you have to be careful about kombucha is that it is gaseous. adding more gas to your system isn’t usually a good idea. i used it to give up wine, but WOW did i regret it later. =)

jah—i LOVE cabbage too! thanks for reminding me.