Sprouting Buckwheat

I’d like to know the proper time to sprout buckwheat (post soaking and rinsing) to achieve the peak nutrient profile and minimize toxicity. In the past I have sprouted buckwheat groats until they have a “tail” of about 3/8” or 1/4” in length (takes about 1.5 – 2 days). They taste fine in granola once I dehydrate them. However, I have heard of the toxicity related to buckwheat greens and possibly buckwheat sprouts, so I am wondering if sprouting too long will lead to more toxicity in the sprouts.

I know lots of you use buckwheat sprouts, so I’d really appreciate any feedback you have! Thanks!

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

AND, if anyone knows what the difference is between “sprouted” and just soaked (in terms of digestibility, toxicity…) i’d love to know. because they are totally usable and soft after only about 20 minutes of soaking (got that idea from raw food real world).

• ive read buckwheat shouldnt be eaten unsprouted but ive also heard about the toxicity of buckwheat shoots and greens. i guess there’s a sweet spot in the middle. it is worthy to point out that the people getting sick from buckwheat greens were juicing large amounts everyday and it took weeks of that for them to have a reaction.

• so its probably really obvious that if your buckwheat sprouts smell really yukky that they have slightly fermented and gone off and therefore toxic? or do you just need to wash them continually. If they have been sitting in a sprouter for a day and not sprouted that would mean they have been oversoaked too is that right? Mmmm confused …..they are a little temperemental I find.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Ooh-er just made (and scoffed) a load of Tabouleh with buckwheat sprouts.

Sprouted them for 2 days or so, rinsed everyday, dont smell funny, not feeling sick..

Any further info about this ‘toxic’ thing appreciated!! Never heard it before but 1st time experimenting with buckwheat,..

Thought I was being super good and experimental..! Raw’s full of surprises!:o)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Apple seeds are toxic if you eat too many! Just don’t eat buckwheat every day, or in large quantity, folks! Variety, variety!

Here is an article about buckwheat toxicity. It speaks pretty strongly, BUT the author of the article makes this statement near the end of a very long page:

“I would like to make the disclaimer that I am not advising people to stop eating buckwheat. The Latin expression dosis sola facet venenum (the dose makes the poison) attributed to the ancient Romans could be applied here. A small quantity of buckwheat greens (or buckwheat lettuce as it is often called) in an individual diet could allow for healthy nutritional benefits without the negative effects of large amounts…...”

http://www.gillesarbour.com/buckwheatArticle.php

• I eat sprouted dehydrated Buckwheat nearly every day with no ill effects. According to Gabriel Cousens, the soak time is 20 minutes. That’s right – 20 minutes. Then sprout for a day, give or take. I find that the “give or take” depends totally on the room temperature. 24 hours is more than plenty if the room is 80F, and it takes a bit longer if the room is 60F. I’ve read that the optimal nutritional value of sprouts is reached when the tail is equal to the body of the seed. Not sure exactly how scientific that is, but I use it as a general rule. I sprout mine in a colander, which makes it easy to rinse and gets it plenty of air. All sprouts need AIR, according the the local sprout farm. They use big fans. They say lack of air circulation results in batches going bad.

Buckwheat needs to be RINSED very well before you eat or dehydrate it!!! If it looks like it has spit mixed with it, rinse again. I’ve never let it grow into lettuce as I read something nasty about that when I first started doing raw and I LOVE Buckwheaties (sprouted dehydrated buckwheat eaten with nut mylk as cereal) so much that I don’t need any more Buckwheat in my diet!

PS. have you ever seen the stuff growing in a field? Oh my, is it beautiful and fragrant!!!!