Elizabeth Edwards on Obama Healthcare

What do you all think about this?

http://www.dcexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Yeasand…

I found the last quote very intriguing…

Peace,

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Thanks for that very interesting, I believe it is a human right and that all choices should be accepted on all health care , as chiropractic naturopath accupuncture etc. They try to list those as ammenities when to my family they are the base that keeps us healthy.

And her last quote shows we still live as peasants to our mighty kings of corporate america.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

There is no one out proposing a comprehensive health care plan that keep Americans healthy and provide them with proper medical attention, which would include major policy changes in other programs not considered tied to health care. I bet you I have thought more on how to resolve this crisis than ant politician.

I admire Elizabeth Edwards and I cringe when I read the some of the horrible things people have said about her recently.

• Why is it the governments job to keep me healthy? Isn’t that my job?? to keep myself healthy?

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

It’s not about keeping yourself healthy. There are over 44 million Americans (9 million are children) without any form of healthcare coverage. And there will be many more with the economy geting worse.

Devastating illness is a major cause of homelessness and bankruptcies. Companies (like Walmart) go out of their way to give the most minimum of coverages or, in fact, usually have their employees work just under the minimum needed to require healthcare at all.

It’s about taking care of each other.

It’s interesting to me that I have not seen this quote picked up by any major news source. That makes me wary of its validity.

that said, it read to me like Elizabeth Edwards would like to see a more universal approach similar to Canada or Europe, but Obama has the wisdom and foresight to know that he can not sell something that drastic in Congress so he’s taking smaller steps towards that direction. Because he’s a genius :)

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

To All

Have any of you seen the movie Sicko… its worth the price to rent or buy… I own it. Michael Moore shows us what other countries are doing… made me want to move to France.

Also MichaelMoore.com has info on a proposed national health care plan up for vote in our election coming up… you can find out about it through his site… follow the links for HR 676 health plan info… top right hand side.

Our government does seem interested in our health when it comes to pasteurizing our almonds though… I never have had a problem with organic raw almonds but they don’t seem to care… all almonds must be pasteurized… sigh!

QTwho is releasing these gripes

Sicko is brilliant. Yes, everyone must see it, it’s really important. I was thinking last week that it really did have a powerful impact, and is provoking a change-i hope!

• Sicko is pure nonsense. I have been in and around the medical industry for two decades and it is blatant propaganda with no relation to reality at all. If you feel like moving to France or Canada, please do so you can experience first hand what it feels like to have a devastating illness and be told you have to wait 6-9 months for the lifesaving operation you need. A major industry has sprung up in Canada for the simple purpose of helping Canadian citizens cross the border to get the health care they need in the US.

I also question that uninsured number. How many of those people simply choose not to spend the money on insurance? I know several people and families that don’t have coverage because they would rather spend the money on something else. How many of those children in that statistic are the children of those parents who are choosing something else to do with their money besides buy health insurance? And further if they are making that choice for themselves and their family, what business is it of mine? I certainly don’t appreciate people questioning my decisions for myself and my family so why would I do that to others?

Why on earth would I want the government who has done such a miserable job with social security, housing, medicare, and has yet to have one successful social welfare program – why on earth would I want those people involved in my healthcare – deciding what I can and cannot do, what kind of coverage I need and “protecting me from poor economic decision”?

Taking care of each other to me means to support and love each other not sticking my nose into other peoples business to make sure they make the decision that I deem are right for their family.

Under Obama’s plan you can choose whether you want to be covered so that sounds perfect for you. You aren’t paying for anything unless you buy it. That’s actually what Elizabeth Edwards said she did not like about his plans. She wants it to be universal. That is why she said he was treating it like a commodity- if you want it buy it, if you don’t, don’t buy it. I don’t know if you fully understand what Obama’s plan is.

6-9 months is a fallacy. I’ve talked to many Canadians and French people who will tell you its simply not true. it is Republican propaganda.

There will always be people with money that will pay for treatments that won’t be covered or can’t wait 6 months for a gastric bypass, or want specific doctors and will pay for them. I don’t see anything wrong with that, that is the free market way. Both can exsist.

On Mccain’s plan you get a healthcare allowance of $5000 a year. This will give employers a reason to STOP covering people all together. So you better hope nothing major happens. How much do you think John Mccain would have to pay for healthcare with his age and cancer? The ironic thing is that in a free market John McCain would never be able to get insurance if he lost his government insurance plan. Oh wait! he’s old enough to be on Medicare.

If someone is choosing not to be insured, especially if they have children, they better be really rich or they are truely “stupid”.

You seem to have a really low opinion of the American governments ability to care for ALL its citizens. You can love someone all you want, but it ain’t gonna help them keep their home if they get an illness that costs more than $5000 to treat.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I lived in Ireland for a year and I agree with Schmoopee that the 6-9 months is a fallacy. I had eyelid surgery in Ireland. My doc was amazing and top notch. The procedure was done immediately and in a reputable hospital in Galway City. I had no complaints. Better service than the US (from my own experiences) and this ordeal only cost me 90 Euro out of pocket and the meds were less than 10 Euro. I have other experiences that go along these same lines but will spare you all the gory details.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

The thing I worry about with a government run health care system is the gov’t getting into my business and how I choose to raise my kids, school them, vaccinate them, etc. Will they come after me if I don’t follow the government guidelines and programs? Also that I would be fined or gov’t come after me if I choose not to insure my children?

I’m for the candidate who wants to give me the power to choose how I raise my children.

Also government running things concerns me about our food supply, especially if the farmer/rancher has limited choice in how they want to run their business.

How much do you think John Mccain would have to pay for healthcare with his age and cancer? The ironic thing is that in a free market John McCain would never be able to get insurance if he lost his government insurance plan. Oh wait! he’s old enough to be on Medicare.<<

Have you seen McCain’s mother – fit as a fiddle and a raw foodist to boot (there is a video on You Tube about her age and what she eats – says she starts every day with fresh OJ) – I think she is 93.

Going to read the article now.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

wow, the article i saw said she is 95 and she looks young enough to be his sister!

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Hi All

I have a friend who grew up in England and she says her mother who still lives there does have to wait a bit for surgical intervention… but it is covered for all. My friend works through hospitals in this country and says many are denied coverage for medical interventions they need because their insurance company will not pay for them… very sad she says.

Also, I am a doctor myself and I have patients who have insurance that were denied coverage for life sustaining treatment. My heart goes out to them.

Insurance is always looking for their bottom line… will cover maintanence treatment that does not get too expensive… but when you are terminally ill and they deny you… or you can no longer work… and can’t pay for the insurance then you are in big trouble.

Listen to some real life stories… they will change your life.

QT