HAPPY DIWALI!!!!!!

I know its almost over, but to everyone on GoneRaw…. HAPPY DIWALI!

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

rishiFromRoshis~ I don’t think I’m the only one that is unfamiliar with Diwali. Would you share with us about Diwali so our worlds can expand?

• Diwali (or Deepavali) is a major Hindu holiday, and a significant festival in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and Jainism. Many legends are associated with Diwali. Today it is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, and Sikhs across the globe as the “Festival of Lights,” where the lights or lamps signify victory of good over the evil within every human being. Diwali is celebrated on the new moon day (approx fifteenth day) of the month Kartika.

In many parts of India and Nepal , it is the homecoming of Lord Ram of Ayodhya, after a 14-year exile in the forest, after he defeated the evil and demonic Ravan. The people of Ayodhya (the capital of his kingdom) welcomed Ram by lighting rows (avali) of lamps (deepa), thus its name: Deepavali. This word, in due course, became Diwali in Hindi and Dipawali in Nepali. But, in South and East Indian languages, the word did not undergo any change, and hence the festival is called Deepavali in eastern and southern part of India. There are many different observances of the holiday across India and Nepal.

Jainism marks Diwali as the nirvana of Lord Mahavira, which occurred on 15 October, 527 B

Thank you wikipedia