Calling All Communes!

chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Given the looming recession, I’m am interested in finding a good list of potential alternative living situations. I’d love to hear about any Conscious communities anywhere in the world. There is strength in numbers!!! I’ve lived this way before and prefer it. I am hoping to start a place myself someday near Mt Shasta, in Nepal, or maybe a whole Island near Panama. But for the time being I may well be happy to join a work in progress instead of continuing to ‘go it alone’.

Raw communities would be a plus. But anything goes, I love to learn about new places and see new faces.

I think I remember seeing a whole page of Raw Community links on a website somewhere, anyone???

Comments

• There’s an intentional community in Louisa, VA, which is about 30 minutes from Charlottesville, called Twin Oaks. It’s a self-sufficient, ecology minded community in a rural farm setting. There are vegans, vegetarians, meat-eaters, and probably raw also. The meals consist of foods for every type of diet.

The place is located on something like 500 acres of land, they have cows and chickens, etc., a vegetable garden, a herb garden (they have tours). They make things to sell like hammocks, tofu, etc.

My daughter stayed there for 3 weeks in their Visitor’s Program. She really enjoyed it. I would like to visit there someday.

Also, there is a yoga retreat center that’s located 40 min. from Charlottesville that I’m planning to visit sometime. I’m mentioning this place because I know you and Zoe are thinking of moving to the Charlottesville, VA area and that she likes yoga.

http://www.twinoaks.org/community/visit/index.html

http://www.yogaville.org/

• I’m interested, too. Can’t wait to see what’s posted.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i hear ya! have you read “The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight”? the writer refers to a grand directory of intentional communities. so, somewhere out there there is a large reference book that would be right up your alley. maybe the twin oaks people would know how to get it. of course, that would just be for the USA.

• yesterday I stumbled across a community in progress near Mt. Shasta, Oregon on the website for the Ringing Cedars of Russia series: http://shambhala-shasta.org/

Wow, this looks amazing ..that’d be a dream come true…living in a community with peaceful happy people, growing plants & celebrating life! :D

I have yet to read the books in this series, but from what I’ve heard/read of them I can tell they’re amazing…Now I just need to find a good place to purchase the set of 9…Sa les, where art thou! haha

Their last blog on the site of the meetings and progress had FIFTY people attending, woohooo. Has anyone heard of this Shambhala Shasta community? I’m not very far away from Ashland so I totally want to go to one of these meetings! perhaps I can find someone to email and find out… yeah I’m interested in seeing a list and hearing about other communities out there :)

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

Here’s a directory of intentional communities all over the world… http://directory.ic.org/iclist/geo.php

• Great topic!

Here is an eco-friendly, sustainable community in NorthEastern Missouri, Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage:

http://www.dancingrabbit.org/

“Many people ask if you have to be vegan or vegetarian to live at DR. The answer is no. While many folks here eat a vegetarian or vegan diet for ecological, ethical or other reasons, we do not mandate any diet. We are open to having sustainable animal agriculture onsite but do not yet have any. For those interested in animal products we encourage getting them from local organic producers (such as nearby Sandhill Farm).

That said, a diet that is primarily vegan or vegetarian can significantly reduce ones ecological impact compared to the mainstream American diet. Many people at DR who are omnivorous eat animal products only occasionally or in much lower quantities than the mainstream. Currently most of the food you might find at our potlucks is vegan and many of our food co-ops serve only vegan meals.”

Also,

“At DR, we attempt to eat organic bioregional foods in season. We currently grow many of our vegetables on site and try to get as much of the rest of our food as possible from local organic vegetable gardeners with most of our grains and beans coming from an organic foods distributor.

Food and Social Life – But food is also a big part of our social life here at DR. People can choose to cook and eat independently or join or form a food co-op. We also have weekly potluck dinners that include all at DR and our two neighboring communities, Sandhill Farm and Red Earth Farms. We also have smaller “community dinners” where we each bring our own food and share in each others’ company.”

And…

“Organic Gardens – Our vision is to have gardens and orchards integrated in our village with small plots between homes and fruit trees throughout the village. Many people will want to have their own private gardens or garden cooperatives. Currently, several diferent members grow food in different gardens. They produce many of the vegetables we consume, including those preserved for the winter. Read more about our Organic Vegetable Gardens at DR

Wild Edibles We also gather numerous wild edibles from our land from blackberries to cattail or lamb’s quarters. Checkout articles on wild edibles in our newsletters…”