Dehydrating Soaked Cashews

I want to make the Cowboy Cookies but I want to use soaked cashews. Once I tried creaming some soaked cashews and dehydrating that and what I gross moment that was when I tasted it. So, anybody try it? Result? Thanks.

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I haven’t had good luck soaking and dehydrating either, they don’t get nice and crisp like other nuts. I haven’t tried drying the pulp after making milk though, that might work a litle better. And, at least if it doesn’t you won’t have wasted them, you still have the milk.

• I have heard (have not tried) freezing after dehydrating is best, gets just as crunchy, although I am not sure how this affects the taste.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Thanks guys! I was using the cookies in an ice cream sandwich so stylestacey that should be interesting.

• My family LOVES curried cashews so I soak, rinse, shake in a bag w/ curry powder and then dry them. It takes a long time to get them dry, but its worth the time.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

If you’re soaking cashews to remove enzyme inhibitors, you probably don’t need to do that since most brands are heated to some degree when removing the shells anyway. There are some sources for “really” raw cashews that are hand shelled and you could soak and dehydrate those. For the first hour of dehydrating, do it at a temp of about 130-135 degrees. Then, after an hour, reduce the temperature to 105 and continue dehydrating for another 24 hours or until you reach your desired texture. See if that works.

*Note: The high temp for the first hour will not sacrifice the nutrients (if they’re “truly” raw, like I mentioned above, otherwise, they have probably already been destroyed to some degree if they’re not advertised as “truly” raw). Since they are soaked, they have to “sweat” some of the water off. This keeps the food cool, even though the air circulating around the food is high.

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Thank you so much Kristen! Yes, I am absolutely getting truly raw cashews from a very reliable Canadian source, and I will follow you’re guidelines.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

No problem… let me know if it works out for you. Don’t be afraid to dehydrate them for up to 48 hours :)

Cheers!