Soaking Nuts in the winter

I don’t have a dehydrator, and its winter now so i can’t really sun dry em, what can i do?

Comments

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Do you have a gas or electric oven? The oven in my house is gas and always emits a small amount of heat. If you have that you can just put them inside. That is really the only idea I have. Thankfully I have a dehydrator :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

You could put them in the oven at the lowest temperature with the oven door open and a thermometer. I know lots of people without dehydrators do that.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I don’t soak nuts at all. Perhaps you don’t need to soak them?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Winona, most nut have enzyme inhibitors that only go away when you soak a nut. Unsoaked nuts are neither alive or dead; they are not a living food unless you soak them. I can’t digest an unsoaked nut, not even cashews which aren’t supposed to have enzyme inhibitors. Also, when the squirrels gather nuts, they let them soak in the ground before they shell them and eat them. See here:

http://www.realrawfood.com/benefitsofsprouting.htm

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Well I can’t afford to buy really raw nuts at $14/lb… so my nuts are store bought. They’re the ‘raw’ nuts that are steamed to open their shells, or pasteurized in the case of almonds.

Enzyme inhibitors are a moot point for me.

I spend too much on groceries already – I’m spending my hard earned money on quality organic produce preferably local – not nuts shipped across the world. : ) But kudos to all who have money to afford it!