Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

*sigh* coconut oil :-(

Can you tell I just don’t like it? I’m not exactly loving the way it tastes, and when I put it on salads or in smoothies, it is a bit overpowering. I hear its a really good fat and great for skin/hair so I’m trying to be a trooper and stick it out. Do you guys know of any good smoothies or salad dressing recipes with coconut oil (preferably where you can’t taste it)? Or of any other good fats that don’t make me gag a little?

And, just for fun, I’m thinking of trying Bikram Yoga and wanted to know if anyone else does it. They’ve got really great deals here for first timers (1st month is $29 for unlimited classes). And, for us lucky 25 and under crowd, discounts on monthly memberships after that. Do you guys do it? Do you like it? Does it work?

Thanks all!

Comments

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Coconut oil is great in making almond milk!

Presoak 1 cup of almonds overnight. Next day put in the blender:

almonds 1 tsp lecithin i tsp vanilla extract (1/2 tsp. more if your like my family and love vanilla) 1/4 cup agave nectar 2 tbs. coconut oil a pinch of salt

blend with two cups of water for 30 seconds then add two more cups of water and blend until really creamy, and lastly strain using a cheesecloth. This is by far the BEST almond milk. My family ADORES it. You can pour it over granola, put it in fruit shakes, and anything else that requires nut milk.

You can also add a tbs. or two of coconut oil in raw pie crust to make them firmer, or in various raw fudge and raw sweet balls and even raw granola! :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Other good fats? Raw olive oil – www.barianioliveoil.com or avocados, nuts, flax, hempseeds… If you hate coconut oil, why eat it? There are so many good foods that you can enjoy; I don’t see the point of forcing yourself to eat something you can’t stand. If you really feel strongly that you need it, then take people’s ideas of what to use it in, but my experience has been that as I eat for my health, I crave what my body needs. I can’t say what’s best for anyone else, so listen to your body. :)

• This recipe I haven’t shared with any one yet, here it goes…my happy drink.

1 baby coconut (meat and water) it’s best with really soft meat

5 or 6 Tablespoons of cacao powder or ground nibs (you could also use carob if you don’t want the caffeine rush)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon maca powder

splash of non alcohol vanilla or small piece of vanilla pod

2 Tablespoons of coconut oil

pinch of salt

Put everything into your blender at room temp and blend away. Then if you want to make it cool make sure everything is blended THEN add ice I use about a 1 cup or 8 regular cubes out of the ice tray. This is my FAVORITE so enjoy! That is … if you like coconut. If you don’t like it you won’t like this recipe. The smoothie comes out tasting like chocolate milk with just a hint of coconut.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

What brand coconut oil are you using? Do you dislike the taste of coconut all together? When you use it, is it in a total liquid form or a little solid? The reason I ask is that right now we are using Blue Breeze which has a mild coconut flavor and melts beautifully and is creamy, and before tried Spectrum that had absolutely no taste at all and tasted more waxy, however my one friend loves Spectrum and says hers tastes like coconut??? Maybe you are just not liking the brand you are using, or could it be that it has gone “bad”?

I’ve never used it in a salad unless I soaked fruit in it to make them slightly sweet and soft. We like to use it for smoothies, about 2 T., normally those that contain pineapple. I do love it in almond milk, and also use it in raw cookies, like coconut macaroons…but if you don’t like the flavor of coconut, then that wouldn’t help out any :)

• I sympathize with the oil hate relationship. I despise really pure strong olive oil. Makes me nauseated. I eat it in ways to hide the taste, but I really dislike it uncooked. I agree with rawmama, try the brand, maybe that’s it.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Bikram Yoga is incredible! Bikram + Raw Food = Immortality

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/group/rawbikram

• Could your oil be rancid? If it smells burnt, maybe it is. Maybe that’s why it’s strong?? I’ve been using Nature’s way brand, and I like it’s sweet, mild taste.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Rawaholic Just tried your nut milk recipe minus the lecithin as I dont have any and WOW yummy!!

I would never have thought of adding vanilla or coconut oil! I have to say my cup of nuts was 1/2 almonds and 1/2 brazils as I had run out of almonds but it was really nice – Thanks!!

rawaholic – Yes! I loved the nutmilk, too. :) I usually don’t like them sweet, but the coconut oil & salt made it more grounded or something. Good one! (But then I really like coconut oil already…)

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Glad everyone liked the milk recipe! :)

• Oh yes, nothing like the health benefits of coconut oil! And a metabolism booster! I love anything coconut, so I like it in almost everything. But I HAVE tried certain brands that I didn’t care for as much. So that may be an issue. I really don’t taste it in my smoothies at all. Maybe you are adding too much. I also add a little bit to cracker batter and definitely add to sweet things I make. Its great in crusts. It excellent in Ani Phy’s Butternut Squash Cranberry Rice.

Last night I had a sweet tooth craving bad, so I mixed carob, cocounut oil, coconut butter and honey and dipped banana slices in it and froze it. Yum.

• We use Spectrum and LOVE it!!! I do prefer the light coconut taste and scent so we use the Organic Extra Virgin. However, just the plain Organic by Spectrum does not have that light coconut taste and scent to us.

Actually, we even pour some into a container to keep in the bathroom for using ON the body instead of perfume and unpronounceable ingredient laden lotions. My toddler’s eczema is gone because of our beloved coconut oil.

All of that to say that I think that if you want to avoid the coconut taste and scent, please try the plain (not extra virgin or even virgin). You may just like that better.

• artisana brand coconut BUTTER is awesome. its the whole coconut, not just the oil. ive found all other coconut oils unpalatable, but this butter i have to keep myself from eating out of the jar :)

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Funny. I don’t like coconut oil for anything other than a body moisturizer. I think I now realize part of the reason. I’m using one by Omega. It’s organic, but it’s not virgin or extra virgin. I just read the label on the one I have. It says: “great for cooking” and “try our virgin coconut oil”. My coconut oil tastes a little like soft candle wax. To this point, I honestly couldn’t understand why so many people rave about it. It smells innocuous, but not really coconutty at all. I obviously don’t have the tasty one. Coconut from the mature coconut (including coconut milk and coconut cream) gives me wicked heartburn, so I may not rush out to try the “good stuff”, but I’m glad I sorted this out, because to this point, I was gagging at the notion of adding my stuff to anything edible.

I had some Artisana brand raw organic tahini and it was dee-lish, so I imagine that it’s a winner on the coconut front as well.

• coconut oil & bikram yoga—huge fan of both. i absolutely love coconut oil & eat it daily!! i use it in green smoothies & drizzled on fruit (probably not proper food combining but i have no problems whatsoever with it). not so much, or not at all as a salad dressing as its flavor is more conducive to sweet things. i also use it externally as a moisturizer sometimes. make sure you are using unrefined, organic cold pressed coconut oil. bikram yoga cleanses you from the inside out, including emotionally & spiritually!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I find taste varies from brand to brand. Nutiva is the only one that tastes “right” to me. (I’m not a coconut fan generally).

Some people like palm oil, which has similar properties but seems harder to find – all these tropical fats got a bad rap in the 90s but now we know better.

Flax oil is also great stuff.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I say if you hate it it could be rancid or maybe its just not your thing use flax oil hemp oil sesame etc there are many healthy oils just figure out which ones works for you. I personally have tried a cheaper claiming to be cold pressed coconut oil that was soooo gross so it could be the brand or something, what type is it? Bikram Yoga is awesome give it a try but you will really need to chug h2o and keep the food coming steady as the sweating depletes you of salts and water and it is so intense you will need to eat a lot if your 100percent raw.

Peace and light in your search for food

• Bikram is wonderful! By far my favorite type of yoga. I did it a couple times a week over the summer, it’s so great. At first it can be hard to sit in the room for the full 90 minutes, but in my opinion it’s more important to stay in the room and get used to the heat than to be able to complete all the poses. I usually sat for the last few standing poses and the first few laying poses. I definitely think you should give it a shot though!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

try coconut butter. it’s not as strong.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

What brand do you have?? I tried Spectrum at first and it was OK but I wasn’t a big fan unless I mixed with certain flavors. That jar ended up going mainly to my skin(mix with some brown sugar and it’s great for a body scrub…only reason I buy the sugar, lol). The last jar I bought was Garden of Life Extra Virgin CO and WOW what a difference. It is much lighter and better tasting, I’ve actually used more of this jar for foods than I have simply on skin.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I can almost always taste undertones of coconut, no matter how little of the oil I add… but I like it! There is no rule that says you have to eat coconut oil~ there are plenty of other healthy fats you could eat instead no need to suffer ;)

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

I use coconut oil with 2-3 drops of hot sauce and a pinch of salt on carrot and celery ribbons. It makes a nice coating that is perfect rolled in organic lettuce wraps....mmm :)

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

I use South Pacific Organic Extra Virgin coconut oil. It is pricey but sooo worth it. It doesn't cause the burning feeling on the back of my throat the way Omega Nutrition coconut oil has before. Very tasty. I almost never feel satisfied without enough fat. IMO, if you are having trouble staying full after a decent serving of veggies, adding a little fat in the form of coconut oil really satiates and helps in digestion. Does anyone have a really good tasting brand of olive oil (that doesn't cause the burning sensation?). Mine is cold pressed extra virgin but it doesn't taste as smooth...tastes like it is burning.

• Tropical Traditions makes a good coconut oil and as Kaybee already said, Artisana makes a good coconut butter. Here's a link to a previous conversation about coconut oil on another site:

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/forum/topics/favorite-coconut-oil

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

Coconut is a 'Superfood' and something that You should Definitely have in your diet... It is an Essential Ingredient in Lots of Desserts... That is where it should be used for the most part... For Instance... Almond Dream Bar

8oz Almond Butter

7 oz Coconut Oil

1/3 Cup Lucuma Powder

Liquify In a Food Processor

Add:

1/3 Cup Sprouted/Dehydrated BuckWheat

1/3 Cup Goji Berries

Spoon into a Yummy Pot or a muffin bake pan...

Freeze and Eat... Yummy....

pearjoy - I like Bariani olive oil. www.barianioliveoil.com - if it doesn't work to order it through the site (it didn't for me), then you can email them to order.