New to Raw...Questions!

I am about 2 months new to the raw world. I tried some nutritional yeast in a recipe tonight for the first time. Kind of a silly question…but….has anyone else had it give them gas/bloating? I don’t ever get that normally and especially haven’t since I have gone raw. But just wondering if it could be from the yeast and if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Thanks for humoring me!

Comments

• So being new at this I realized that I have a few other questions. Another silly one….I see everyone mentioning SAD foods. What the heck does SAD stand for? Also is it bad to eat the raw breads/tortilla’s? I think the brand i’ve see is called ezekiel? They are flourless and made from sprouted grains so they seem to be ok. Are they heated when processed? Thanks all…much appreciated!

• Welcome! SAD stands for standard american diet, ezekiel bread isn’t raw. Please don’t feel like your questions are silly! Keep reading and enjoy the journey!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Nutritional yeast isn’t really raw, although many people use it & feel great. Sprouted doesn’t necessarily mean raw – Ezekiel & Manna bread are made of sprouted grains that are then made into bread/tortillas and baked. Manna bread is “baked at low temperatures” – around 250 degrees. Ezekiel I think is baked at regular baking temperatures.

• Great! Thanks for your knowledge. I appreciate it. Good to know about the sprouted breads….bummer I liked the ezekiel tortillas. Don’t have a dehydrator yet so I’ll just have to wait for the “bread like” things. I really want to make flax crackers….those are my downfall.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

jadams-also, don’t feel like you have to be 100% raw right away. Everyone is different and if you eat raw and have occasional ezekiel tortillas you’re eating better than 99% percent of humans

I agree – just do what’s best for you. For me, it was better to eat Manna Bread for a while, until I could make my own raw breads, because it gave me a lot of what my body needed & kept me satisfied so I didn’t eat other stuff that would have been a lot worse for me. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ditto that angie! i’m 6 months raw… i’m occasionally eating manna bread and ezekial tortillas. It’s much better than the options I WOULD have chosen without those foods.

My transition to raw has taken 1.5 years, VERY slow. at first 20% raw, then gradually more – I never worried about it, I just found more and more raw recipes to make till eventually I had the desire to eat mostly raw recipes and fruits. Easy peasy cheezy!!

Everyone is different and if you eat raw and have occasional ezekiel tortillas you’re eating better than 99% percent of humans That’s so TRUE!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yeah those nearly raw breads are great for transitioning, but you know raw bread can be pretty tasty. The ones me and the hubby make are so much tastier than cooked ‘health food’ breads. We were so surprised and pleased when we started experiementing with our dehydrator ;)

Check out our recipes http://purelyraw.com/recipes.htm

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I had forgotten about those recipes! I believe you that raw breads can be tastier than health food breads – everything raw tastes better to me than the cooked version. Cooked breads are my stop gap measure until I can make a pizza crust and tortilla raw that are actually edible – my uncooking skills were very bad until recently.

Now that I’m much better at uncooking, I’ll give those recipes a try. Thanks Zoe!

Zoe – thanks for the link! I am interested to try your carrot bread sometime.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Nutritional yeast turns me into the human whoopee cushion.

I love the stuff! my mom used to feed it to me when I was a kid. but it makes me so gassy and sooo bloated, the pain, the pain! I don’t eat it anymore.

It’s not really raw, anyway

/sour grapes :P

• Wow! Thanks for all of your great responses!