Brown Rice?

So I soaked brown rice and made a gado gado curry kinda thing. The flavours were delicious. The rice a little crunchy. I soaked it for ages. A whole day and the recipe said 12 hours would do. I even tried putting some hot water on it for some reason. Not sure why. Anyway…it didnt really work. Do you guys know anything about brown rice and if its good for you etc or any facts about digesting as a soaked grain etc. I feel ok in my tummy, so its probably cool. Thanks in advance for your responses.

I am trying to experiment with loads of different recipes and grains and sprouting too at the moment. Its like I have had a break through in my discovery of all thta is available to us in the raw world and all the falvours that we can create with a little effort.

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

sorry, i’ve never tried soaking rice. but i’m curious, do you have reason to believe brown rice is raw? my understanding is that it is a stored grain and thus would have to undergo some heat treatment to keep away pests. i’m not sure either way though…

for “rice” i usually just use hard veggies like winter squash, broccoli stems, and most often, CAWLIFLOWER! yum. just stick it in the food processor and pulse until i t becomes your desired size. then i remove everything, stick a bunch of parsley, half an onion, some celery and sometime red pepper. any other herbs would do as well. pulse to get them well chopped. mix back in with “rice” and season to your heart’s content…

anyway, good luck!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hey there, brown rice is actually the only rice that you can get raw. I would try to sprout the rice (like you would any grain, by draining the water off), and then use it in the recipe. Did you already try to sprout it, or did you just soak it?

• Well thankyou both of you for your answers. Pianissima…nice recipe. Will try it for sure. I forgot about the ‘nori roll rice’ thing too. I was going to say I do not have any idea if Brown rice is raw, just that I saw it in a recipe for raw foods on a raw website, so I thought…hey it must be.

RawKid Chef…....Thanks for your expertise mate. I just tried soaking it and then kinda crunch chew chew in a recipe. So you reckon sprout it hey? I just cannot imagine how it could grow little shoots though. Would be cool if it did. Wild rice….you can sprout that too can’t you? I tried once soaking it but it was too hard so I just gave up. Mmmmmm I think this whole sprouting thing is a bit to get your head around and to remember etc how long for this and that etc.

I appreciate your input both of you. Much love

Lexi Loo x

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Wild rice isn’t raw, so it doesn’t sprout – it splits when soaked, so people thought it was raw & sprouting & it’s now in lots of “raw” recipes.

The only rice that is raw (will sprout) is “sweet brown rice” – not the same as regular brown rice. You need to soak it for 24 hours (rinse once halfway through) and then sprout it for a couple of days, rinsing twice a day. It is still fairly crunchy; not soft like cooked rice, but it is good, and probably not quite as hard to chew as the stuff you had. :)

• Thankyou so so so much angie for your comments both here and on the kelp noodles topic. I really appreciate the time and knowledge you have given. :)

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I’ve read that it’s possible to get truly raw wild rice, but it isn’t black or dark brown. It’s green, as it is when on the plant. I’ve never seen it this way. I have a brand of high quality Canadian wild rice. I was hoping to soak it for several days and enjoy it split (not raw, but what the heck), but it said right on the front of the bag that it was roasted. I’m not sure if that’s standard, but I’m a lot less confident that it will soak properly, now that I know that it’s been roasted.

Angie, are you talking about the sweet brown rice that when hulled and polished would be considered “sticky rice”?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yes, you can get truly raw wild rice, but it isn’t edible by humans and it is green. I can’t put my hands on where but I found it on google. :)