Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw in the dorms

So im not aloud to have a blender, food processor, dehydrater, anything electric really in my dorm room. I was wondering if anyone has some delicious recipes that i may be able to concoct with simply my hands and scrumptious ingredients. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thank you

Comments

• THAT SUCKS. Basically… fruit salad, and green salads. Pretty much just pretend that you are about to make up a green smoothie or fruit smoothing, but eat it like a salad instead! weeeo.

• what the heck….are you still allowed to plug in your laptop and things like that? Thats the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Luckily, I think some of the best things are “grab and go.” I always try to eat fruit until dinner or at least lunch, so that would be pretty easy. For your other meals, I would suggest eating huge salads, nori rolls, zucchini pasta or kelp noodles, lettuce wraps, sprouted quinoa, or more fruit! Maybe you will benefit from the lack of appliances because you will be forced to eat simply! Good luck!

• Todds Waldorf Supreme is a great meal - chopped apple, tomato, sweet pepper, onion, with ripe avocado. sprinkle with some cayenne and salt, stir it up well so the avo blends over the other ingredients … it is really good.

Give various tastes to your fruit and green salads by using different spices … cinammon / nutmeg, etc on fruits … dill, oregano, basil, etc, on greens. Simply squeezing a lemon over greens makes an okay dressing.

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

I love Kale salad, like this one: http://goneraw.com/recipes/6-Avocado-Kale-Salad, I also add cumin, agave and dried cranberries.

It doesn’t suck at all! I have all that equipment and my blender is the only thing I use daily for a breakfast smoothie. Keep it simple, there’s nothing more perfect than a ripe pear or mango. Sometimes people who get bogged down in the complicated recipes forget that.

You can get a cheap julienne slicer to make zuchinni pasta or slaws: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?ord…

For slaws just shred whatever you want (carrots, beets, pears, cabbage…) add some apple cider vinegar or lemon and some cold pressed olive oil, spices, agave if you like it sweeter. Yum. A staple of mine.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

We used to have the same rules, we could have a fridge and a small electric tea pot but that was it. Of course there were always a few people that had some kitchen equipment hidden away in there rooms, unfortunately you can’t really hide the sound of a blender.

I am a fan of using large leaves(collards work well) to make wraps, and salsa or quacomole are some favorite easy foods to make(as well as salads).

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

Oh yes rawlady, I have an apple and avocado salad several times a week. good idea!

• I agree with iheartveggies. Also have you ever tried chia seeds? I just take two scoops of chia seeds (two TB) and a few walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and almonds (you can use whatever nuts and seeds you like). I throw these in a small bowl and then add banana and raisins or whatever fruit souds good. I pour almond milk over it and add vanilla and cinnamon and let it sit for 10 minutes or overnight if i feel like it. It is a delicious meal/snack, and you don’t need a blender.

• Wow i wasnt expecting such helpful responses…All of the salads mentioned sound delicious! Thank you..any ideas for some treats i could make?....my new favorite is frozen grapes..so simple yet such a lovely treat..the red grapes are the best!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

tiny1—you need a blender to make almond mylk, but otherwise that sounds good.

unplugged kitchen are awesome. my advise would be to get a mandoline. i LOVE having really finely sliced veggies. you can make platters, slaws… the way you cut a veggie really affects the flavor. you can go to an asian grocery story and they will sometime sell all sorts of great hand tools for cutting veggies.

• Oh, I know exactly how you feel! I live in a dorm as well and have the same restrictions. :( I snuck in a small food processor, though, and I just use it in the really tiny kitchen the whole building shares.

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Wow, that is a bummer. My dorms are so great because we have like 3 kitchens and one right across from my room (which is hardly used except by me). We are allowed dehydrators, blenders, food processors, etc. No hot plates though, but that doesn’t bother me! So, I regularly use blenders and food processors throughout the day. I actually checked with everyone on my floor to see if it was okay. They don’t mind, which pleasantly surprised me.

In the mornings, when any roaring sound would send an army of angry students flying into my room and strangling me, I just cut up fruits and top them with nuts or buckwheat groats. Or, if I must have something semi-blended, I use my coffee grinder. This would be your best bet. Does your school allow small hand-held coffee grinders? If not, then what the heck-sneak one in and muffle it with a giant pillow every time you use it. I promise no one will hear it. And if someone knocks on your door, tell them you’re blow drying your hair!

If you can get a coffee grinder, you can make a lot of the recipes on this site. Nut butters, cheeses, bread, almond milk,.... Oh the possibilities!!!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

There isn’t a kitchen on your dorm floor? Most friends of mine that lived in the dorm had access to a community kitchen Although most people never used it. Don’t they let you have a mini fridge though? All my friends in forms had those.

• Anabana -

I too felt your pain when in college. I went to a military school where we had room checks daily and no locks on our doors. I was a vegetarian then also and couldn’t eat much in the mess hall. So what I did was hide (in the ceiling tiles!) a rice cooker and a percolator. I knew guys that hide microwaves in paper realm boxes.

So I say bring your stuff with you and hide it! It can be done, you just have to be crafty and make sure to clean up after yourself.

• Yeah it is pretty rediculous…My RA is convinced anything could start a fire…But being sneaky is always thrilling so maybe when i go home for thanksgiving i will grab my food processor or i guess i could buy a huge morter and pestal that could be fun especially when im stressed out..haha. I have a mini fridge so atleast i can have my fruit and veggies in there and the dorm salads aren’t too bad except the poor lettuce at the salad bar is always dead along with all the other veggies:(.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Huge mortar & pestle for stress relieving food prep – sounds fun! Now I’m tempted… :)